The Student Room Group

I got 38% in my assignment 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I messed up my assignment really bad again! But I saw one of the mistakes I made, and I didn't do it again in the exam today. I got the right thing and should receive quite some portion of the 10% of extra credit.

I didn't actually know a lot of the concepts when doing that assignment and in the end I got a 38/100. I was also rushing on it due to a lot of extra commitments over the past few weeks. I have brought down one commitment since. I once had a 97 and 88 follow a 44, and what will follow the 38?
Original post by 8013
I messed up my assignment really bad again! But I saw one of the mistakes I made, and I didn't do it again in the exam today. I got the right thing and should receive quite some portion of the 10% of extra credit.

I didn't actually know a lot of the concepts when doing that assignment and in the end I got a 38/100. I was also rushing on it due to a lot of extra commitments over the past few weeks. I have brought down one commitment since. I once had a 97 and 88 follow a 44, and what will follow the 38?

Hi there,

I can completely empathize with you in regards to receiving low grades on assignments; it can be really disheartening!

I am not sure if you have been advised this before, but I would recommend speaking to your tutor who set the assignment in order to find out what went wrong and what you need to work on. There isn't any harm in doing so, as it shows that you are taking your studies seriously and want to do well! If it has been a case of not knowing certain topics/concepts, then the only way forward is to do a bit of revision! You have knocked off one commitment, which has freed up some of your time, even though you might not have wanted to, but it shows that you are taking active steps in balancing your university and social life.

I would definitely recommend that you speak to your tutor, who may be able to offer any extra support that you may need!

I hope it goes well :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Reply 2
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there,

I can completely empathize with you in regards to receiving low grades on assignments; it can be really disheartening!

I am not sure if you have been advised this before, but I would recommend speaking to your tutor who set the assignment in order to find out what went wrong and what you need to work on. There isn't any harm in doing so, as it shows that you are taking your studies seriously and want to do well! If it has been a case of not knowing certain topics/concepts, then the only way forward is to do a bit of revision! You have knocked off one commitment, which has freed up some of your time, even though you might not have wanted to, but it shows that you are taking active steps in balancing your university and social life.

I would definitely recommend that you speak to your tutor, who may be able to offer any extra support that you may need!

I hope it goes well :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate

Actually it's a 52%. The tutor made some mistakes while grading my work and he gave me some more marks.
Original post by 8013
Actually it's a 52%. The tutor made some mistakes while grading my work and he gave me some more marks.

That's good to hear!

I think the advice I gave is universal in itself, so I would still keep it in mind going forward :smile:

Estelle
Graduate Advocate
Hi,
First of all, it's great to hear that you learned from your mistakes and made improvements, especially by not repeating the same errors in your exam. That shows resilience and a capacity for growth, which are important qualities in any field.

Your academic journey seems to be filled with ups and downs, and it's not uncommon for students to face challenges and setbacks. Your current situation, represented by the 38, can be a turning point. It's an opportunity for reflection, learning, and improvement.

Here's a possible response to your question about what will follow the 38:

Your 38, just like your 97 and 88, is a part of your academic story. What follows the 38 depends on the lessons you take from it. Use this experience as motivation to seek help if needed, whether it's from your professors, classmates, or academic resources. Consider reassessing your study strategies and time management techniques to ensure you have a balance between your academic commitments and extracurricular activities. Remember, setbacks are not indicative of your abilities; they're stepping stones toward success. With determination, perseverance, and the willingness to learn from your mistakes, you have the power to turn this around. Seek support, stay focused, and keep believing in your capabilities. Your future successes are built on the resilience you show in moments like these.

Best of Luck,
Fatima
Student Ambassador - LSBU (London South Bank university)

Original post by 8013

Original post by 8013

@8013

As long as you are reflecting and learning from your mistakes, then you are in a good place to make better decisions next time! It sounds like are already thinking about time management and how to use your time wisely. Try and give yourself the time that you need to study while also giving yourself the time to rest from your studies, so you're not stressed!

Remember you are more than an exam mark!

Congrats on passing,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 6
I got 64% in the midterm of another module with full credit on the two problems which I explained relevant topics to people outside my major.

Three of my friends unfortunately scored less than 30%. This is a great opportunity for me to help these three people!
Reply 7
Just got the news that I got a 73% in the midterm exam, the average was 59%. Actually I was above the upper quartile.

What just happened?!
Original post by 8013

Literally the same thing happened to me last year (and yes I cried bc I'd never failed anything at uni before...).

I genuinely hated the module and disliked the lecturer (who'd btw had a load of complaints about them overall) and I must have misunderstood the assignment. I still passed the module :tongue: luckily the assignment didn't make up a huge % and was only a 10 credit module. I reckon most people have blips somewhere along the line.
Original post by 8013
Just got the news that I got a 73% in the midterm exam, the average was 59%. Actually I was above the upper quartile.

What just happened?!

Congrats! :hugs:
If you have a Excel grade tracker you can calculate what you need to get in each assignment for that module to ensure you're on track for passing the module, but it sounds like you are now :yep: :h:

It sounds like other people in your modules could be finding it hard too :smile: if you have a course group chat you might be able to find out if other people feel that same.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by 8013

what are you studying?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending