The Student Room Group

How can USA claim to be a military superpower when it's lost all wars???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stalin
Well, you did when you asked the following question: "Which war has it actually lost other than Vietnam?"

Had you believed that the US had won or will win in Afghanistan you would have said, "Which war has it actually lost other than Vietnam and Afghanistan?"

Except you failed to take into account the possibility of stalemate, which is neither losing or winning. If you had had the decency to read the thread then you wouldnt be wasting everyones time.
Original post by 999tigger
Except you failed to take into account the possibility of stalemate, which is neither losing or winning. If you had had the decency to read the thread then you wouldnt be wasting everyones time.

:toofunny:

So the United States' adventure in Afghanistan will end in a stalemate?
(edited 6 years ago)
heh you are such an idiot.

At least pick an outcome and be coherent instead of being indecent by wasting everyone's time.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Stalin
At least pick an outcome and be coherent instead of being indecent by wasting everyone's time.

Thats why you are always so simplistic and can only envisage two outcomes. Limited is you.
Thats why you are always so simplistic and can only envisage two outcomes. Limited is you.

Wrong - I can only envisage one outcome.

But, by all means, argue your stalemate scenario.
Original post by Jirga

To be fair, fighting in your own country vs 8000 miles away makes a big difference, as does guerilla tactics vs standard rules. Home field with the whole population potentially being combatants counts for a lot

Original post by Rover73
Because it spends more on its military than the next 26 countries combined, 25 of whom are allies.

Now multiply that with the that fact there has never been a time when human beings have not been at war, and bingo, WW3, end of everyone, except those with the very biggest bunkers.

Except the complete opposite is true, what you described is the best way to achieve peace, it's no coincidence that the times where there has been one undeniable superpower which nobody dares look at have been the most peaceful, I.e. between the napoleonic wars and WWI, and post vietnam (quite frankly post WWII. Hegemony pretty much guarantees peace between major powers, especially when the major powers are allies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stalin

True I overestimated you again, even more limited is you.
True I overestimated you again, even more limited is you.

You've failed repeatedly to tell how and when the United States will achieve its objectives in Afghanistan, and now cannot tell me how and when your stalement scenario will occur, my limited friend.
Original post by Stalin
You've failed repeatedly to tell how and when the United States will achieve its objectives in Afghanistan, and now cannot tell me how and when your stalement scenario will occur, my limited friend.

You made a response to a question I never asked, but you asked yourself. For some bizarre reason I had the misfortune of being included in your thread.

You do the same again.. Jeep talking to yourself but do stop pretending people have said things they have not.
You made a response to a question I never asked, but you asked yourself. For some bizarre reason I had the misfortune of being included in your thread.

You do the same again.. Jeep talking to yourself but do stop pretending people have said things they have not.

You implied that Vietnam was the only war the United States lost since WW2 by asking: "Which war has it [the United States] actually lost other than Vietnam."

I pointed out that the United States will not 'win' in Afghanistan - implying that since WW2 the United States will have lost in both Afghanistan and Vietnam.

And since I challenged you on that you have consistently failed to defend your statement by making excuses like, "you made a response to a question I never asked."

So let's try one last time: how and when will the United States realistically 'win' in Afghanistan? (And if you are of the opinion that it cannot win, and that a stalemate will occur, please explain to me how your scenario will play out.)
To be fair, it is pretty hard for a country to win a war against an insurgent enemy. The US has won most wars against states such as the gulf war and to some extent the Vietnam war. However after they have defeated the enemy state's army they struggle with insurgency like in Iraq

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Placeholder
To be fair, it is pretty hard for a country to win a war against an insurgent enemy. The US has won most wars against states such as the gulf war and to some extent the Vietnam war. However after they have defeated the enemy state's army they struggle with insurgency like in Iraq

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair the thread asked about the US claims to be a superpower, but the OP didnt understand what the definition of a superpower was.
To be fair the thread asked about the US claims to be a superpower, but the OP didnt understand what the definition of a superpower was.

To be fair, you've just completely ignored my reply and have therefore shown to be incapable of defending your question disguised as a statement.

I thought you would have at least given it a shot, but the troll in you appears to be weak.
A superpower isn't a country that wins all wars it is a country that has considerable influence over the world and as of right now the US could beat any country in a non nuclear war. On top of this the US is one of the world's largest economies with most commodities being sold in dollars and not to mention the cultural influences it has.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Stalin
To be fair, you've just completely ignored my reply and have therefore shown to be incapable of defending your question disguised as a statement.

I thought you would have at least given it a shot, but the troll in you appears to be weak.

Not really I found your whole input to be bizarre making an irrelevant point over statements I never made. Go back and read the thread and the issue was dealt with at the time. Off you go.
Original post by Placeholder
A superpower isn't a country that wins all wars it is a country that has considerable influence over the world and as of right now the US could beat any country in a non nuclear war. On top of this the US is one of the world's largest economies with most commodities being sold in dollars and not to mention the cultural influences it has.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Precisely, which was dealt with way back. Performance in wars was irrelevant unfortunately it didnt seem to sink in with the special people.

Original post by Stalin

Only two realistic outcomes :

1) The US resends tens of thousands of soldiers to Afghanistan to recapture the areas the Taliban currently control. These soldiers then stay there for the foreseeable future.

2) The Taliban continue taking territory from the Afghan government and eventually retake most of the country back.
Not really I found your whole input to be bizarre making an irrelevant point over statements I never made. Go back and read the thread and the issue was dealt with at the time. Off you go.

Was the question (disguised as a statement) you never made, "Which war has it [the United States] actually lost other than Vietnam?"
Precisely, which was dealt with way back. Performance in wars was irrelevant unfortunately it didnt seem to sink in with the special people.

I never claimed otherwise, my limited and now special friend.

All I did was answer your question: Which war has it [the United States] actually lost other than Vietnam."

I'm still waiting for your response: how and when will the United States realistically 'win' in Afghanistan? (And if you are of the opinion that it cannot win, and that a stalemate will occur, please explain to me how your scenario will play out.)
Original post by Muwahid-
Only two realistic outcomes :

1) The US resends tens of thousands of soldiers to Afghanistan to recapture the areas the Taliban currently control. These soldiers then stay there for the foreseeable future.

2) The Taliban continue taking territory from the Afghan government and eventually retake most of the country back.

Option one is possible because the Taliban will continue taking territory from the government and will therefore force the United States to commit or pull the plug; however, the United States' plan of nation building will not have succeeded if it has to commit thousands of troops indefinitely in order to prevent the Taliban from recapturing Kabul - and therefore the war will not have ended.

The majority of Americans now believe that the U.S. made a mistake in sending troops into Afghanistan, add to that the trillions of dollars that were spent on the adventure instead of at home providing the citizens with universal healthcare, subsidised university tuition fees, and clean water in Flint, MI, for example, and whichever President is idiotic enough to commit more troops to the sinkhole that is Afghanistan will not be reelected.

I believe Trump has committed thousands of troops to Afghanistan, but he does not care about the political ramifications it will have for his campaign, if he even has one in 2021, because he will not be reelected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending