The Student Room Group

Chemistry or Further Maths A level

I'm in year 11 and I was planning on doing further maths, because i enjoy maths. Also, i'm doing gcse further maths as well so its kinda losing the gap, however the sixth form I want to go to might not do further maths (people don't want to do it) so I was wondering if I do chemistry does that put me in a disadvantage because I want to do astrophysics in university, so does that put me in a mathematical disadvantage?
Original post by Maybach_Loki
I'm in year 11 and I was planning on doing further maths, because i enjoy maths. Also, i'm doing gcse further maths as well so its kinda losing the gap, however the sixth form I want to go to might not do further maths (people don't want to do it) so I was wondering if I do chemistry does that put me in a disadvantage because I want to do astrophysics in university, so does that put me in a mathematical disadvantage?

According to my school Further maths is seen as the hardest A level and if you have unis see it as really good. So you'll probably be at disadvantage but if you tell the uni you go to your school didn't offer it and the school writes a statement or something saying there was no option to do it. Unis normally understand so you won't be at a huge disadvantage.

If your course requires having further maths then unis will probably give you extra classes that you have to attend to catch up to everyone else's level.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Balkaran
According to my school Further maths is seen as the hardest A level and if you have unis see it as really good. So you'll probably be at disadvantage but if you tell the uni you go to your school didn't offer it and the school writes a statement or something saying there was no option to do it. Unis normally understand so you won't be at a huge disadvantage.

If your course requires having further maths then unis will probably give you extra classes that you have to attend to catch up to everyone else's level.

Thanks for replying and I know its the hardest but it excites me when you have something which keep you on your toes. Also, i'll check with the school and see how many people might do further maths and they has been further before; but as you said its one of the hardest a levels so people might be scared of it
Original post by Maybach_Loki
Thanks for replying and I know its the hardest but it excites me when you have something which keep you on your toes. Also, i'll check with the school and see how many people might do further maths and they has been further before; but as you said its one of the hardest a levels so people might be scared of it

Hopefully your school does it but if they don't. Don't worry about it, it's not a big disadvantage if all your other A-levels are good.

Quick Reply

Latest