The Student Room Group

Aqa a 2017 gcse physical geography

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No only the negatives. Though I didn't use a case study. I'm that might lose me marks.
I didn't do anything like a case study cos I didn't think the reservoir linked to the question so I just did stuff like, u need to be aware of the amount of water left in the river as if it gets to low it is no longer sustainable, there may be pollution in the water meaning it can't be used so it isn't sustainable stuff like that please someone tell me I will possibly get some marks for that
Original post by phil_robinson
Personally I did the three gorges dam for the water on the land 8 marker as there are lots of advantages and disadvantages and it asked us to show both sides to the strategy. Most of my friends also did the three gorges dam but I believe that you could do Kielder if you wanted to. However the 4 marker on the map and the 4 marker on hanging valleys were difficult, aswell as the 6 marker on noticing eruptions early in the restless earth. Other than that I think that the paper was OK but I expect the grade boundaries to be similar to last year, if not a bit lower. With 49/75 for the A*

I thought it just asked for the 'problems', so just the negatives?? But yeah, I used a case study too; I wrote about Rutland water, which is a reservoir in the UK!
In geography, we can infer tgat issues are both positive and negative
I'm pretty sure you can just do issues. I've looked on a couple of mark schemes and the "discuss issues" questions only every have the negatives
Original post by Haseeb1011
All the knowledge for the 8 marker case study's down the drain

What questions did you do?

The restless earth 8 marker did not specifically state to use a case study, but 'with the help of...' was a give away that you should incorporate your own knowledge.

And with rivers you could talk about the Kielder reservoir, and the need to remove 1,500,000 trees, but also explain the advantages of this strategy.
i talked about that too, i put in a case study that we used briefly and just talked about the advantages and disadvantages of it basically. I didn't really know what it was trying to ask?

Original post by gcsegirl2017
i cant believe i leant all those case studies and dates for nothing!!! it made me really uneasy about the answers i did writen down now because i couldnt pre-pepare them :frown: for the 8 marker water on the land about how rivers are managed i talked about the cons for building reserviors and transporting water from areas of surplus to deficet and i must have had the wrong idea :frown:(((((
Original post by bexwray
No only the negatives. Though I didn't use a case study. I'm that might lose me marks.

to be honest i don't think it will affect your grade that much because there was only one question that i can remember that specifically asked to refer to a case study and it was 3 marks- so don't worry.
concentrate on the human paper because i think that will be more focused on the case study aspect!
Did anyone do the restless earth or rocks 8 markers? what were we supposed to write???
can someone please explain the 8 mark question on the Dartmoor tors and how other types of rocks used can impact or benefit costs and the environment. the one with the map insert.
Do you think the grade boundaries will be high or low????
Reply 31
what did you write for the 8 marker on restless earth!! and what was rocks questions?
Original post by Westsidegirl
i do restless earth, rocks and water on land. i found the restless earth 8 marker really hard
Original post by phil_robinson
Yes the question said to discuss the use of a managing strategy. So you were meant to do both advantages and disadvantages. However you will probably only lose 2-3 marks if you did just advantages as long as you talked about either a reservoir or the three gorges dam.

It said 'discuss the issues'
worst paper ever! nothing made sens. grade boundary predictions?
i think lower than last time much harder exam
last year was 45/75 for A*
I'm sure it said discuss the issues for the water on land 8 marker, is that still positive and negative? As I did the kielder case study
Original post by MorganP11
I'm sure it said discuss the issues for the water on land 8 marker, is that still positive and negative? As I did the kielder case study

I saw the word 'issues' so I only wrote about the negatives. I'm not sure if that's right though.
Original post by Katie15a
I saw the word 'issues' so I only wrote about the negatives. I'm not sure if that's right though.

I only wrote about the disadvantages but apparently when says discuss the issues, it means both positive and negative. I looked at the mark schemes of past papers and to get a 5-6 or 7-8 we needed to say some advantages too. i guess we are limited to 4 marks then :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending