The Student Room Group

PGCE schedule

Hi,

This is a question for people who have completed or who are currently doing a PGCE course. I am just finishing my accounting degree and have decided that I never want anything to do with accounting again so have been looking into teaching. I have a general careers meeting with my uni tomorrow but wondered if anyone could give me some idea of what their PGCE course looked like for the year. I.e how long they were at uni for alongside placement, what kind of things are on the uni side and anything you think of that can help me :smile:

Also I am leaning towards doing secondary pgce but haven't made an official decision so secondary or primary info will be helpful!

Thanks in advance.

Nikki
Assuming you are in England there are loads of different options to do your teacher training.
Traditional PGCE
Schools direct - similar to the PGCE but you know your main school in advance
SCITT (school centre initial teacher training) - the majority of your training is provided in a school setting
Teach First - I'm not so sure about this but think it is a two year course for inner cities

As for how much time is in uni/schools that varies hugely course to course. I've attached the guide from the University of Reading, remember that they all vary but it gives you an idea.

IMG_0353.PNG
Oh and get some experience in schools, will really help you decide between primary and secondary.
Reply 3
Thank you so much for all of that it's really helpful :smile: I am going to try and get some experience and have emailed my uni course leader for pgce!

Posted from TSR Mobile
On my Post-16 PGCE we are in university 2 days a week 9-4 and we are at our placement college 3 days a week. Times vary according to which placement you are at. We had an alternative placement for 2 weeks midway through the year. I went to a secondary school for mine, but other students went to prisons, community centres and football stadiums that have education programs. We get all of the school holidays off, but there is a lot of work to do so these are mostly spent doing assignments. Teaching is not an easy profession and the workload is intense. You will be working late and you will be stressed, but people do it and you can too.
Different providers will have different schedules. I was in uni for 2 weeks in September and January the occasional Fridays. However you are primarily based in school and the workload is such that you can forget any extension to uni lifestyle.

Quick Reply

Latest