The Student Room Group

Still worth applying to these unis?

I'm repeating my A levels again (in one year and doing the new spec). I was planning on applying this september for 2018 entry. My exams are coming up but doubt I'm going to get the grades I need due to reasons, and probably wont get the grades to go to the universities I want.

Basically if say I get C's this time around but I repeat them again so I would take them next June. Would the unis still consider me if say I needed to get A's, or will they reject me based on previous performance, on this exam periods results and write me off??, I just tried to do much in too short of a time span. Im not applying through a college/school and I am an independent applicant.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ScoobySnax2
I'm repeating my A levels again (in one year and doing the new spec). I was planning on applying this september for 2018 entry. My exams are coming up but doubt I'm going to get the grades I need due to reasons, and probably wont get the grades to go to the universities I want.

Basically if say I get C's this time around but I repeat them again so I would take them next June. Im not applying through a college/school and I am an independent applicant? Would the unis still consider me if say I needed to get A's,
or will they reject me based on previous performance, on this exam periods results and write me off??, I just tried to do much in too short of a time span.

If you retake and get good grades the uni probably won't penalise you. They would penalise you if you had some grades from the first year and some from the second for example if you got a B this year and a C in the retake in one subject but improved in the other subjects because your A Levels aren't all in one sitting x
Original post by ScoobySnax2

Basically if say I get C's this time around but I repeat them again so I would take them next June. Im not applying through a college/school and I am an independent applicant? Would the unis still consider me if say I needed to get A's,
or will they reject me based on previous performance, on this exam periods results and write me off??, I just tried to do much in too short of a time span.

Are you currently repeating your A levels, or do you mean that if you do badly this (first) time round, you'll repeat them in one year next year?

If the former, I'd say that having to repeat A levels twice to get the standard entry requirements would probably put you at a significant disadvantage and you may then struggle at such a university if you did get in. I'd recommend either considering universities with lower entrance requirements or foundation year degrees, and you may be able to get a place this summer through clearing rather than having to take another gap year to apply in the normal application round.

If the latter, I would advice applying anyway (sometimes universities are more flexible with grades than they admit) but to a range of universities with low and high entrance requirements, and retaking your A levels in that gap year.

If you already have a shortlist of unis you're interested in, I'd recommend phoning their admissions department up to ask whether or not they would consider your application. Some might say they'd never consider a candidate who had to resit A levels twice, whereas others may say that they'd even accept your lower grades and retaking may not be required at all :smile:
Contact universities before making a decision, it's possible they won't all except you as some can be stringent with resits.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending