The Student Room Group

Odeon Limitless worth it?

hey!

will be starting uni in September & moving away from home. Just wondering is a odeon cinema membership worth it, £17.99 a month however you must have a minimum of 12 months membership?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well it's worth it if you spend over £18 a month on the cinema, which as a student is extremely unlikely and impractical on a budget

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
hey!

will be starting uni in September & moving away from home. Just wondering is a odeon cinema membership worth it, £17.99 a month however you must have a minimum of 12 months membership?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if your going to be watching more than 5 movies a month , then yes it is worth it
Reply 3
Original post by study beats
if your going to be watching more than 5 movies a month , then yes it is worth it

5 movies, wouldn't it be a case of watching more than 2/3 movies?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bhfn
hey!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends on how many movies you will be watching. If you are not that into going to the cinema then maybe it may not be best to spend so much money on the membership.
Original post by bhfn
5 movies, wouldn't it be a case of watching more than 2/3 movies?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well lets say the average student ticket costs 7 quid....

so yeah you need to be watching more than 3 movies a month for it to be worth it
Original post by study beats
well lets say the average student ticket costs 7 quid....

so yeah you need to be watching more than 3 movies a month for it to be worth it

£7....at Odeon.. The "Average" student price is about £10 usually closer to 12/13

My dad has limitless and he's used his loads, like he goes like 20 times a month or something ridiculous like that
Reply 7
Original post by bhfn
hey!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Things to consider:
Is there an Odeon near you (and will be for 12 months)? How may movies per month would you have to watch to bring the cost up to £18? Are you likely to watch that many movies every month?
Are there discounts on restaurants? You you/ will you use them regularly? Is the discount enough to bring savings up to over £18 per month (including cinema tickets)?

If you are a student, Odeon already does pretty decent discounts and most other places do too. That's increased even more if you have an NUS card or use student discount sites. I would think that those methods would be better than an Odeon card personally.

You need to consistently watch a certian number of movies a month to make any cinema card worth it and although that is easy some months, there are a lot of months with no decent releases.

Hope that helps. Good luck decision making. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Kindred
Things to consider:
Is there an Odeon near you (and will be for 12 months)? How may movies per month would you have to watch to bring the cost up to £18? Are you likely to watch that many movies every month?
Are there discounts on restaurants? You you/ will you use them regularly? Is the discount enough to bring savings up to over £18 per month (including cinema tickets)?

If you are a student, Odeon already does pretty decent discounts and most other places do too. That's increased even more if you have an NUS card or use student discount sites. I would think that those methods would be better than an Odeon card personally.

You need to consistently watch a certian number of movies a month to make any cinema card worth it and although that is easy some months, there are a lot of months with no decent releases.

Hope that helps. Good luck decision making. :smile:

Hi

In terms of the location of the odeon, it would be within a 10 minute walking distance to my accommodation, so easily accessible. In terms of the price it would come up to £215.88 over the 12 months & an average student cinema ticket is around £9-10 at the chosen cinema. In that case I would only have to watch around 21-24 movies throughout the year which is at least 2 movies a month, therefore I feel like this would be worthwhile for the cost?

in terms of the consistency, I know there are some months where the releases may not fancy my taste, however I've checked months where there may have been a month where 4-5 movies of my liking would come out so at the end of year it would all balance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by bhfn
Hi

In terms of the location of the odeon, it would be within a 10 minute walking distance to my accommodation, so easily accessible. In terms of the price it would come up to £215.88 over the 12 months & an average student cinema ticket is around £9-10 at the chosen cinema. In that case I would only have to watch around 21-24 movies throughout the year which is at least 2 movies a month, therefore I feel like this would be worthwhile for the cost?

in terms of the consistency, I know there are some months where the releases may not fancy my taste, however I've checked months where there may have been a month where 4-5 movies of my liking would come out so at the end of year it would all balance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're confident you'll manage 2 a month (or make up with 0 in some and 4 in some etc) then it's worth it.
The best way to make it worth your while is if you have friends who also enjoy movies (bonus if they also have a card). That way you're more likely to be watching a bunch. Also, if it has extra offers on restaurants etc it'd help if there's one of those near you.

I have an equivalent card for another cinema and personally I found it was definitely worth it to start (even watched 4 movies in one day), but I eventually stopped going to movies as much. Frankly it's probably not worth it for me any more, but I cba to cancel it yet :colondollar:
If you're already a big movie goer or have friends who like going to the cinema though it may be a better choice for you.
Reply 10
Original post by Kindred
If you're confident you'll manage 2 a month (or make up with 0 in some and 4 in some etc) then it's worth it.
The best way to make it worth your while is if you have friends who also enjoy movies (bonus if they also have a card). That way you're more likely to be watching a bunch. Also, if it has extra offers on restaurants etc it'd help if there's one of those near you.

I have an equivalent card for another cinema and personally I found it was definitely worth it to start (even watched 4 movies in one day), but I eventually stopped going to movies as much. Frankly it's probably not worth it for me any more, but I cba to cancel it yet :colondollar:
If you're already a big movie goer or have friends who like going to the cinema though it may be a better choice for you.

I think that's the only thing I'm waiting for, once I go to uni in September I'm
hoping to find someone/group of people who also would be going to the cinema regularly, if so then I would most likely join the membership.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you like cinema and can see yourself going once a week, then yes. This is especially so if you live closeby and a good way of relaxing. There is usually more than one ok film a week to watch. wait till you get to uni though. and see whether your friends do as well. Its also important to see whether you have the spare cash to afford it.
I think that it is worth getting, I have a similar one from another cinema. You only need to really watch 2 or 3 films a month to cover the cost and make it worth while. You can watch the same film more than once if you really like the film; I have done it a few times watching the same film twice. Some times there are films out which aren't worth watching but then other months there can be quite a few so you can always make up for the amount of times needed to visit to cover the cost.

I would recommend the cards especially if you are close to the cinema and like going to the cinema quite a bit. You can even get discount on food in the cinema and also some restaurants (can with the cinema I am with not sure whether it is the same with the others like Odeon though)
Think about the time during uni holidays as well - will you be close to an Odeon and visiting often then as well?
If you watch 3 or more movies a month then yes. I personally try to go every week but 3 movies a month is still fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending