The Student Room Group

Which Advanced Higher choice is better? Three sciences or Biology, Chemistry, Maths?

I have done Biology, Chemistry and Physics at Advanced Higher but now I realise that Maths is required for many of the courses I am interested in - especially Maths and Econ to be able to do finance jobs. I have applied for Medicine but would AH Maths have given more opportunities than AH Physics?? I suppose I could have taken 4 subjects in S6 but my guidance teacher said that this as completely unnecessary unless I was applying to Oxbridge?
I want to know which subject choice would have given me more opportunities.
Please comment...
Original post by xptrt3
I have done Biology, Chemistry and Physics at Advanced Higher but now I realise that Maths is required for many of the courses I am interested in - especially Maths and Econ to be able to do finance jobs. I have applied for Medicine but would AH Maths have given more opportunities than AH Physics?? I suppose I could have taken 4 subjects in S6 but my guidance teacher said that this as completely unnecessary unless I was applying to Oxbridge?
Please comment...

If you're thinking about studying maths and economics, then you should probably choose maths. While it probably isn't an entry requirement, it will likely be more useful/relevant/interesting. The added incentive/bonus is that maths doesn't have a project to complete (the physics ones are generally dull, from anyone I know who has done AH physics!). Assuming you're applying to Scottish unis though, it shouldn't really matter, as unless it's something like medicine, they generally don't require you to do advanced highers in their entrance requirements. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Labrador99
If you're thinking about studying maths and economics, then you should probably choose maths. While it probably isn't an entry requirement, it will likely be more useful/relevant/interesting. The added incentive/bonus is that maths doesn't have a project to complete (the physics ones are generally dull, from anyone I know who has done AH physics!). Assuming you're applying to Scottish unis though, it shouldn't really matter, as unless it's something like medicine, they generally don't require you to do advanced highers in their entrance requirements. Hope this helps :smile:

In fact when I look around, I realise that Maths courses in England require maths, while some engineering courses require Physics. I think having Higher Maths at an A grade suits the criteria for Scottish Universities while English unis require AH Maths regardless of the grade.
I'd recommend maths instead. Three projects would be killer.
Reply 4
Original post by xptrt3
Please comment...

I'm applying for medicine too, and I've chosen AH Maths, Chemistry and Biology, as have the majority of those going into Medicine at my school. I think Maths would keep your options wider open, but bear it in mind that the majority of courses(e.g. maths and economics), universities give you unconditionals based on your higher results, they only really care about advanced highers if your highers are bad, or if you're going down south. As long as you have an A in your higher Maths and are applying to maths related courses, I doubt not doing maths will affect much except they might question it at interview.

In terms of your own sanity, Maths wouldn't have a huge project like the sciences do, but I reckon you'll be fine as long as you knuckle down and get them done relatively early in the year. ☺️
Reply 5
Original post by bbtala
I'm applying for medicine too, and I've chosen AH Maths, Chemistry and Biology, as have the majority of those going into Medicine at my school. I think Maths would keep your options wider open, but bear it in mind that the majority of courses(e.g. maths and economics), universities give you unconditionals based on your higher results, they only really care about advanced highers if your highers are bad, or if you're going down south. As long as you have an A in your higher Maths and are applying to maths related courses, I doubt not doing maths will affect much except they might question it at interview.

In terms of your own sanity, Maths wouldn't have a huge project like the sciences do, but I reckon you'll be fine as long as you knuckle down and get them done relatively early in the year. ☺️

Yeah I've noticed that every maths related course in England will require AH Maths, so I suppose one would have to decide what career they would be focusing on if they apply to England, Wales or NI!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending