The Student Room Group

High 2.1/Low first and failing a module?

Hi guys,

So im a second year averaging 72 percent this year (computer science) however it looks like im going to fail half a module (High 2.2 in 50%, almost certainly failed the other half), does failing a module at first sit have any effect on career prospects and do you think they would let me resit (surely they would), this module was really poorly taught and I know a lot of people who are failing it the same as I am, I know somebody who achieved 33% on the module coursework who otherwise gets straight 1sts and 2.1s in everything else.

The module is being reworked next year due to the amount of complaints, still doesnt help my situation though haha.

Thanks
Reply 1
I had several modules that had a part A and part B. Some were examined jointly and given a single grade. Some had separate exams for each part, but were combined to one grade. Some had separate exams and separate grades. If you are studying a 2 part module, it may be worth checking to see how they process the result as you may find your overall average is above 40% given that you have a high 2.2 in the first part of the module.

Additionally, results are sometimes adjusted. Typically, departments dont want to have really high scores across some modules and really low scores in another module. Often results will be adjusted by some factor (i.e. seemingly made up as they go along) to bring the scores in line.

University policies on resits vary, but typically you can resit an exam in august. However, you will be capped at 40% regardless of how you score. I believe (although not 100% sure) that you can drop a certain amount of credits and still graduate with honours. So if you haven't dropped credits so far, you may be able to proceed without passing the module. Again, different unis have different policies.

Regarding job prospects, I doubt it will have much impact. All applications ask you to list your degree classification. Some applications will ask you to list module breakdown and individual score. How much they check these I do not know. Given the vast number of applicants and the amount of information supplied by each applicant, I personally find it fairly unlikely that they read that deeply. But with a solid average, and consistent strong scores across all other modules, one lower score won't destroy your application.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending