The Student Room Group

Beginner Gains!!! HELP

Just a question: when do 'beginner gains' stop? I started out very weak at the gym and now have a BP at 42.5kg, deadlift 100kg, Squat 80kg, Press 32.5kg. I've been going for a 3ish months or so and am accustomed to the weights (I don't feel achey or get doms anymore). As these are still novice lifts, am I still able to obtain beginner gains despite working out for 3 months?

If you're interested as to why I ask, it's simply because I am switching programs to Starting Strength and have a Bodyfat percentage close to 20, but the book states at a beginner level eating at a calorie surplus won't lead to a detrimental amount of bodyfat in the beginning (60% lean muscle mass is generated).
You're a beginner for your first year. Your lifts are still very much beginner level

Posted from TSR Mobile
First 3-6 months the gains will be faster than ever, but for the entire first year they'll still be spectacular.
Original post by WoodyMKC
First 3-6 months the gains will be faster than ever, but for the entire first year they'll still be spectacular.

RIP those days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Angry cucumber

Yep :frown: I'd never really heard of the term "newb gains" when I started lifting and after a few months I was like "pfffff, who said this muscle building stuff is hard work?" - then my brother told me I'd made good newb gains and I had to google it to believe it was a thing, but lo and behold :rofl: That was a bit of a depressing day tbh.
Yep :frown: I'd never really heard of the term "newb gains" when I started lifting and after a few months I was like "pfffff, who said this muscle building stuff is hard work?" - then my brother told me I'd made good newb gains and I had to google it to believe it was a thing, but lo and behold :rofl: That was a bit of a depressing day tbh.

Switch to the dark side, your first cycle will be newb gains x10.
Original post by FlyingRabbit
Switch to the dark side, your first cycle will be newb gains x10.

Hoping that'll be the case as I'm planning my first cycle for later in the year :lol: Did plan it for last year tbh but I fell off the gym wagon a little and I've spent the last few months gaining back muscle and then started cutting. Wanna start my first cycle off a good lean base :h:
Hoping that'll be the case as I'm planning my first cycle for later in the year :lol: Did plan it for last year tbh but I fell off the gym wagon a little and I've spent the last few months gaining back muscle and then started cutting. Wanna start my first cycle off a good lean base :h:

Good luck. If you do it right you'll put on about 4-8kg of lean muscle. (Ignore idiots who claim to gain 20kg in a cycle, they get fat and bloated and think it's muscle.) Make sure you've done your research re side effects and coming off. Set aside a budget for new clothes. And make sure you have someone to have sex with because that's all you'll be thinking about. Bear in mind it changes you forever, don't do it on a whim or because you're impatient for gains.
Good luck. If you do it right you'll put on about 4-8kg of lean muscle. (Ignore idiots who claim to gain 20kg in a cycle, they get fat and bloated and think it's muscle.) Make sure you've done your research re side effects and coming off. Set aside a budget for new clothes. And make sure you have someone to have sex with because that's all you'll be thinking about. Bear in mind it changes you forever, don't do it on a whim or because you're impatient for gains.

No worries there mate, as I said I've been planning it for a while and reading about them for nearly two years now, initially just out of interest. I'd actually like to think I'm a lot more knowledgable than the average person who uses them as I enjoy reading and like I said, I've read a lot - I'm the sort of person who wants to know everything about something before I dive into it and putting a foreign substance into my body is certainly no exception considering there's the potential to screw yourself up if you do it wrong.
Shocking to read when you're googling stuff and you come across a forum post like "So I'm on my first testosterone cycle, my nipples are really puffy and itchy - I just did some googling and apparently I might need something called an AI? What is this, which one should I take, what dosage per day?" or similar things to that which should be basic knowledge for any steroid user :lol:
No worries there mate, as I said I've been planning it for a while and reading about them for nearly two years now, initially just out of interest. I'd actually like to think I'm a lot more knowledgable than the average person who uses them as I enjoy reading and like I said, I've read a lot - I'm the sort of person who wants to know everything about something before I dive into it and putting a foreign substance into my body is certainly no exception considering there's the potential to screw yourself up if you do it wrong.
Shocking to read when you're googling stuff and you come across a forum post like "So I'm on my first testosterone cycle, my nipples are really puffy and itchy - I just did some googling and apparently I might need something called an AI? What is this, which one should I take, what dosage per day?" or similar things to that which should be basic knowledge for any steroid user :lol:

I was similar, I spent 6 months reading before my first cycle. 3 years later, I'm 6 cycles in and still get surprised by some things. There are nuances that you won't get just by reading. AI dosage is tricky to get right for example, and if you're too cautious about it and lean too far on the high side you'll end up depressed with sore joints and no gains. But yeah I've seen some really stupid things, like there was one guy who didn't even understand how to calculate the dosages he was injecting, he just came online and said I filled a syringe and shot it all, how much was that.
I was similar, I spent 6 months reading before my first cycle. 3 years later, I'm 6 cycles in and still get surprised by some things. There are nuances that you won't get just by reading. AI dosage is tricky to get right for example, and if you're too cautious about it and lean too far on the high side you'll end up depressed with sore joints and no gains. But yeah I've seen some really stupid things, like there was one guy who didn't even understand how to calculate the dosages he was injecting, he just came online and said I filled a syringe and shot it all, how much was that.

Jeez. Yeah that's what I'm on about, some very stupid people out there that give steroids a terrible name.
Good thing is as well that I go to two gyms, my main gym is a Pure Gym and I also go to a PAYG backstreet hardcore gym on occasion and I know a number of guys there that I can go to for advice that have been doing peds for over 20 years. Even know the dealer there, bought accutane off him before as it happens and the lads at the gym say he's a safe pair of hands, knows his stuff and even recommends stuff based on what he thinks is best even though he could make more money pushing a different product to you.

So I'm pretty much all set, just waiting for the right time so I can milk every gain out of it. My testosterone levels are screwed as well due to my pituitary gland not functioning properly after a head injury when I was a teenager so I'm just gonna blast and cruise once I've started. No testosterone output to save, I'm 27 years old now and I don't want kids cause I can't stand them lol, never been a kiddy person. So to me it makes no sense to go through PCT and all that crap, all that hormonal fluctuation when there's literally no point, probably healthier to run a TRT dose between cycles tbh and then I'll hop back on the blast whenever my bloods say my lipids, liver, hemo levels and all that stuff are good.
Jeez. Yeah that's what I'm on about, some very stupid people out there that give steroids a terrible name.
Good thing is as well that I go to two gyms, my main gym is a Pure Gym and I also go to a PAYG backstreet hardcore gym on occasion and I know a number of guys there that I can go to for advice that have been doing peds for over 20 years. Even know the dealer there, bought accutane off him before as it happens and the lads at the gym say he's a safe pair of hands, knows his stuff and even recommends stuff based on what he thinks is best even though he could make more money pushing a different product to you.

So I'm pretty much all set, just waiting for the right time so I can milk every gain out of it. My testosterone levels are screwed as well due to my pituitary gland not functioning properly after a head injury when I was a teenager so I'm just gonna blast and cruise once I've started. No testosterone output to save, I'm 27 years old now and I don't want kids cause I can't stand them lol, never been a kiddy person. So to me it makes no sense to go through PCT and all that crap, all that hormonal fluctuation when there's literally no point, probably healthier to run a TRT dose between cycles tbh and then I'll hop back on the blast whenever my bloods say my lipids, liver, hemo levels and all that stuff are good.

Fair enough mate I'm blasting and cruising too, just take 500iu of hcg twice a week and it keeps your balls alive, I just had a sperm test recently and I'm still fertile after b&c for over a year.
Fair enough mate I'm blasting and cruising too, just take 500iu of hcg twice a week and it keeps your balls alive, I just had a sperm test recently and I'm still fertile after b&c for over a year.

Yeah I suppose it's wise really, never know if I'm gonna change my mind about having kids in a few years. Heard a lot of people too basically assuming they couldn't have kids where they'd been on for so long and they've not used protection, next thing they know they've got a little'un on the way :lol:

How long into training did you start using mate? I started training 4 years ago but I pretty much had a break through the whole of 2016 and training probably around 5-10 times throughout the whole year so I was just about maintaining, so really I say 3 years of actual training. Don't see myself getting much bigger naturally now and I want to be much bigger lol, my diet and training have always worked for me and I 100% know what I'm doing, done enough research and I feel like I'm pretty much ready.
Yeah I suppose it's wise really, never know if I'm gonna change my mind about having kids in a few years. Heard a lot of people too basically assuming they couldn't have kids where they'd been on for so long and they've not used protection, next thing they know they've got a little'un on the way :lol:

How long into training did you start using mate? I started training 4 years ago but I pretty much had a break through the whole of 2016 and training probably around 5-10 times throughout the whole year so I was just about maintaining, so really I say 3 years of actual training. Don't see myself getting much bigger naturally now and I want to be much bigger lol, my diet and training have always worked for me and I 100% know what I'm doing, done enough research and I feel like I'm pretty much ready.

I was 31 when I started. I'd been lifting for a few years although it was hard to say exactly how many as it was off and on. Loosely you could say I trained for 5-6 years, gradually becoming more and more serious with about 6 months of a strict never-miss-a-meal-or-session regime. It got to a point where I wasn't really getting anywhere anymore, I could bulk but when I cut I lost all my gains. I was going around in circles and I figured this is about as good as it gets natty.
Cheers for the feedback, I just don't want these weights to be 'intermediate' for me. I am hoping they'll go up from eating more but I have stalled multiple times on them all and can't seem to progress very far now. I am already slightly tubby when naked, but with a T-shirt a normal looking 6ft 2 85 kilo man. I do care about aesthetics, but right now I care MORE ABOUT STRENGTH! I'm attributing my failure to lack of eating, so I want to see where my strength levels will be if I get up to 90kg.

What I'm trying to say is because I started out so weak, does the stage I am at already mean that I'm past the novice stage? I REALLY hope not.
Original post by Khanthebrit
Cheers for the feedback, I just don't want these weights to be 'intermediate' for me. I am hoping they'll go up from eating more but I have stalled multiple times on them all and can't seem to progress very far now. I am already slightly tubby when naked, but with a T-shirt a normal looking 6ft 2 85 kilo man. I do care about aesthetics, but right now I care MORE ABOUT STRENGTH! I'm attributing my failure to lack of eating, so I want to see where my strength levels will be if I get up to 90kg.

What I'm trying to say is because I started out so weak, does the stage I am at already mean that I'm past the novice stage? I REALLY hope not.

No you're a novice

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest