The Student Room Group

Top Uni applications

Would the top universities in the UK accept a student with no "facilitiating" A level subjects. im going to be taking business, sociology and psychology.
It somewhat depends where you're applying and for what subject. Many good RG unis would consider you for many of their subjects outside of the elite few; Southampton, Exeter, Loughborough, and Manchester come to mind.

Also different unis have different metrics for what they consider a facilitating/preferred subject. LSE, for example, considers both Sociology and Psychology preferred, and since you've taken two preferred subjects in theory the third non-preferred would be acceptable. However it depends what course you apply to; some are more competitive than others, and for something such as Law you would probably find it difficult to get an offer. For a slightly less competitive course such as Social Policy or Anthropology perhaps, you may have better luck.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Olivia0816
Would the top universities in the UK accept a student with no "facilitiating" A level subjects. im going to be taking business, sociology and psychology.

Original post by artful_lounger
It somewhat depends where you're applying and for what subject. Many good RG unis would consider you for many of their subjects outside of the elite few; Southampton, Exeter, Loughborough, and Manchester come to mind.

I confirm this. I got an offer from Exeter with three non-facilitating subjects (government and politics, psychology, and sociology, all at grade A at AS) and only one facilitating subject (AS English literature, in which I got B). The course I applied for was a FCH course, International Relations and Strategy and International Security with Japanese, which is one of their most competitive courses. I did have a very strong personal statement, though.

OP, as long as you pick a course that does not ask for any specific subjects and get good grades, you have a chance. The problem is that some courses ask for a certain subject which is almost always a facilitating subject (e.g. Bristol's Management degree and Exeter's Business and Management degree require A-level Mathematics) and there will always be people with all facilitating subjects applying for your course, so it may narrow your choices and decrease your chances to get an offer a bit. Psychology degrees tend to require a science outside of psychology (biology and/or chemistry), and so forth.

What do you plan to study in university? Just asking to check if you need any specific subjects.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Michiyo
I confirm this. I got an offer from Exeter with three non-facilitating subjects (government and politics, psychology, and sociology, all at grade A at AS) and only one facilitating subject (AS English literature, in which I got B). The course I applied for was a FCH course, International Relations and Strategy and International Security with Japanese, which is one of their most competitive courses. I did have a very strong personal statement, though.

OP, as long as you pick a course that does not ask for any specific subjects and get good grades, you have a chance. The problem is that some courses ask for a certain subject which is almost always a facilitating subject (e.g. Bristol's Management degree and Exeter's Business and Management degree require A-level Mathematics) and there will always be people with all facilitating subjects applying for your course, so it may narrow your choices and decrease your chances to get an offer a bit. Psychology degrees tend to require a science outside of psychology (biology and/or chemistry), and so forth.

What do you plan to study in university? Just asking to check if you need any specific subjects.

currently im not quite sure on what i want to study but i have come up with a couple of ideas. i would like to persue criminology or business management (mostly interested in wedding plannjng) or even a teacher. i know there is a lot of variation between these areas of subjects but im wanting to keep my options open. and im not sure if i should switch psychology to A level Lit as it is a facilitating subject. thank you for the advice btw :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

I study exactly the same alevels as you and got 5 offers from top RG unis :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
currently im not quite sure on what i want to study but i have come up with a couple of ideas. i would like to persue criminology or business management (mostly interested in wedding plannjng) or even a teacher. i know there is a lot of variation between these areas of subjects but im wanting to keep my options open. and im not sure if i should switch psychology to A level Lit as it is a facilitating subject. thank you for the advice btw :smile:

you would have to look at uni courses to see what they need. Most students who do apply for Russell group unis will at most take 1 non-facilitating subject. Like i do psychology, maths and chemistry but that is because most uni courses require 2 sciences at a level to do psychology at uni.

My friend wants to do french with a year abroad and when we looked at kcl it just said 3 a levels one of them being french so tbf i dont think it will matter but it depends on the course

Quick Reply

Latest