The Student Room Group

Would your parents be disappointed if you don't earn that much?

For instance, if your peak salary is 10k less than what they thought it might be? Will that bother them?
Who cares what they think?
yes, but I'm already a disappointment in their eyes anyway it wouldn't be a surprise for them
I think they'd possibly ask if I'm aiming high enough and could be earning more, but they'd respect my choice as long as I'm happy.
Probably because they've invested and spent a lot on my education, but they'd probably just try to support me
Nope because I [will by this time next year, hopefully] have a degree and my English is great (cos I grew up in England lol) so I will probably have more than a factory job, which is what they have, and so will most likely earn more than them which will be good enough for them. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheBlueBiro
Nope because I [will by this time next year, hopefully] have a degree and my English is great (cos I grew up in England lol) so I will probably have more than a factory job, which is what they have, and so will most likely earn more than them which will be good enough for them. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same as my parents actually, so they'd probably be fine now you mention it :biggrin:
I think if they're saw me earn very little and struggle they'd be disappointed.
They would be disappointed if I did not get a job. But hey they would still help and encourage me.
The wage mine own parents has't given me i has't hath paid all backeth
Reply 10
Asian parents so yes.
Original post by honour
For instance, if your peak salary is 10k less than what they thought it might be? Will that bother them?

Sorry, whose parents have a 'peak salary expectation' for their kids? :lol: Is this an immigrant thing?
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
Sorry, whose parents have a 'peak salary expectation' for their kids? :lol: Is this an immigrant thing?

Haha :biggrin: It's just that some parents never went to university and still manage to earn, for instance, £40k in their late career. So they decide to invest in their children's education by paying for their full tuition fees. If their children then decide to enroll in a not-so-highly employable degree, e.g. Media Studies, it is unlikely that their salary will exceed the parent's. Surely, in this circumstance, the parent would feel somewhat disappointment?
Original post by honour
If their children then decide to enroll in a not-so-highly employable degree, e.g. Media Studies, it is unlikely that their salary will exceed the parent's. Surely, in this circumstance, the parent would feel somewhat disappointment?

Not really, no. I don't know a single parent who is 'disappointed in how much their child earns'. The whole concept is just a bit bizarre because it's not some financial transaction or investment - it's your kids!
100%, my mum wants me to buy her castle and a unicorn with chicken nuggets on it so anything under 10k will be suink else
They can **** off if they get disappointed. But they won't do 'cause that's a bit weird
Original post by thatguy170296
Same as my parents actually, so they'd probably be fine now you mention it :biggrin:

:yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asian parents are never satisfied. My dad thinks 60k isn't enough. He's still kinda disappointed in my brother for going LSE instead of Cambridge.
Reply 18
Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest