The Student Room Group

My parents are not in the country

I am a UK citizen and lived her most of my life . I went back to my home country with my mother and finished my secondary schooling there.

My mother stayed there whilst I returned to the UK. My mother is now retired and doesn't make much. My father works but earns in my home currency. I am not financially supported by them. I have been living with different friends throughout my Alevels and have worked to pay rent, transport and food myself. I have deferred my place for uni for Sept 2025.

Will student finance have to calculate my fathers household income? Can I apply as an estranged student? Is there documentation I have to provide to get my loan?
Original post by X.Rosieeee
I am a UK citizen and lived her most of my life . I went back to my home country with my mother and finished my secondary schooling there.

My mother stayed there whilst I returned to the UK. My mother is now retired and doesn't make much. My father works but earns in my home currency. I am not financially supported by them. I have been living with different friends throughout my Alevels and have worked to pay rent, transport and food myself. I have deferred my place for uni for Sept 2025.

Will student finance have to calculate my fathers household income? Can I apply as an estranged student? Is there documentation I have to provide to get my loan?

Hi there,

If you have contact with your parents then you wouldn't be able to apply as an estranged student. If you are under 25 and don't have 3 years of self support (prior to the start of your course) then we would assess you based on your parents earnings. Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

If you have contact with your parents then you wouldn't be able to apply as an estranged student. If you are under 25 and don't have 3 years of self support (prior to the start of your course) then we would assess you based on your parents earnings. Thanks, Jason

I am under 25 and by 2025 I will have been in the Uk again for 3 years. If I show my payslips from 2021-2024, can that be used as self-support?
Original post by X.Rosieeee
I am under 25 and by 2025 I will have been in the Uk again for 3 years. If I show my payslips from 2021-2024, can that be used as self-support?

If it shows a full 3 years of self support then yes you can always apply as an independent student. I would also advise contacting us around spring of 2025 once the 25/26 applications go live so we can check the guidelines are still the same. As regulations and guidelines can always change on a year to year basis. Thanks, Jason

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending