The Student Room Group

Applying to AAA/AAB computer science courses with A*AC

Hello, I am hoping to apply to uni for 2018 admission to study computer science, I sat my A levels last year and achieved A*AC in Math, Further Math and History respectively. The universities I am looking at generally have grade based entry requirements rather than ucas points, because of that I'm wondering whether I would be likely to get onto AAB computer science courses with A*AC, because most computer science courses have only the specific subject requirement of Math at A grade would they be likely to accept me onto these courses? Also though AAA is a higher ucas tariff than A*AC, because history has very little to do with computer science and maths does have a lot to do with it, and by grades are biased towards maths, would I have a shot at getting on these courses?. As said my grades are achieved not predicted, so I am also wondering as to whether this is good or bad thing with regard to offers?
Thank you for any answers
Original post by ta1998
Hello, I am hoping to apply to uni for 2018 admission to study computer science, I sat my A levels last year and achieved A*AC in Math, Further Math and History respectively. The universities I am looking at generally have grade based entry requirements rather than ucas points, because of that I'm wondering whether I would be likely to get onto AAB computer science courses with A*AC, because most computer science courses have only the specific subject requirement of Math at A grade would they be likely to accept me onto these courses? Also though AAA is a higher ucas tariff than A*AC, because history has very little to do with computer science and maths does have a lot to do with it, and by grades are biased towards maths, would I have a shot at getting on these courses?. As said my grades are achieved not predicted, so I am also wondering as to whether this is good or bad thing with regard to offers?

It will depend on a lot of factors, I think the quality of your personal statement will be a bigger factor than that history grade C.

You clearly have an aptitude for maths which will put you in good stead for computer science. What I would consider in making sure your PS is good is considering how that history grade C looks. I might be way off here, but it would give me a hunch that you're fine with subjects you find interesting and challenging like the maths, but maybe lose focus on something you have less interest for.

Now history is obviously not hugely relevant to the computer science topic, but the skills to succeed in most topics are universal, like researching, studying, essay writing, critical analysis etc...

I'm no expert on gaining places without meeting the entry requirements, but it seems a common consensus that the advertised grades, and what universities will accept can vary quite a bit owing to the fact that the universities want your money. And your maths grades will stand out provided you have a way of framing the history grade without it seeming like you don't work as hard at less interesting topics.
Original post by ta1998

Contact the admissions departments of a few Universities you are interested in to ask the likelihood. Historically Unis such as Kings and QM would likely take you but it all depends on how competitive other candidates are in your application cycle.
Reply 3
Thank you for your replies :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending