The Student Room Group

International Baccalaureate Results Day 5th July 2017 Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PQ
AP results aren't sent to universities by ucas. You need to phone UCL and ask how to send your results to them and when they expect to make a decision.

Make it clear that you need to sort out visas and flights and that a late decision might mean you would be unable to take up your place. The financial threat might convince them to make an early decision instead of stringing you along to hedge their bets.

I had to upload my results onto a portal which i already did 3 days ago when they came out. I called two days ago to see if they received it and when they would make a decisions but they were pretty vague and said I would get a notification and just viewing my scores would take a few days (no specific estimate).
however when i phoned it was the general admissions. should I call my specific admissions tutor instead? Also, would there be the chance to explain my unexpected score?
Original post by kqsruno
I had to upload my results onto a portal which i already did 3 days ago when they came out. I called two days ago to see if they received it and when they would make a decisions but they were pretty vague and said I would get a notification and just viewing my scores would take a few days (no specific estimate).
however when i phoned it was the general admissions. should I call my specific admissions tutor instead? Also, would there be the chance to explain my unexpected score?

I would contact the UCL international team - they'll be able to chase things up on your behalf http://www.ucl.ac.uk/iss

Again if you explain that you just need a firm date when you'll know either way and whether they need any more information from you to make a decision then they'll be able to pester the right people to stop any unnecessary delays.
Original post by PQ
I would contact the UCL international team - they'll be able to chase things up on your behalf http://www.ucl.ac.uk/iss

Again if you explain that you just need a firm date when you'll know either way and whether they need any more information from you to make a decision then they'll be able to pester the right people to stop any unnecessary delays.

ahhhh okay thank you so so much!! I completely forgot I could call the international team!! Thank you for the advice!!!! :smile:
Original post by returnmigrant
Everyone - its pointless writing, emailing or phoning a Uni if you are a near-miss,

It wont make any difference - none at all. All it does is waste everyone's time.

Unis make decisions based on grades and how low they are prepared to go.
They are not influenced - and nor should they be - by 'pleading'.

If they have already told you that you will have to wait until August, then that IS what you will have to do.

I disagree with what you said.

What if your offer was to achieve 39 points with 776 HL. However, you achieved 42 points with 766 HL? You are still counted as a near-miss but you obtained an overall grade that is way higher than what they have requested. That is why I think it is worth it to make a call if you are a near-miss (unless you obtained less than what they asked for, then, of course, it will be up to you at the end whether you want to call them or not).
Original post by Hxaler
I disagree with what you said.

What if your offer was to achieve 39 points with 776 HL. However, you achieved 42 points with 766 HL? You are still counted as a near-miss but you obtained an overall grade that is way higher than what they have requested. That is why I think it is worth it to make a call if you are a near-miss (unless you obtained less than what they asked for, then, of course, it will be up to you at the end whether you want to call them or not).

That's like saying A*AAA achieved at A-level would meet an A*A*A offer because the UCAS points are higher. It doesn't work like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yashvini
Thank you so much for the advice... I am currently drafting a letter to send in to UCL with my IELTS scores, and the option for a remark. I will call them up around the same time I send the mail. Thanks again!

HEY BUDDY if you dont mind me asking DID YOU GET IN BECAUSE IM KINDA IN A SIMILAR SITUATION AS YOU except with APs AND IVE BEEN PANICKING FOR 3 DAYS :frown:
BEST OF LUCK TO YOU BTW!! hoping for the best!!
Original post by Doonesbury
That's like saying A*AAA achieved at A-level would meet an A*A*A offer because the UCAS points are higher. It doesn't work like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't really compare A-Levels to IB lol, they're 2 completely different systems.

Besides, we are forced to take 6 subjects + TOK/EE, those who do A-Levels, are not forced to do 4 subjects in their second year and hence, their offers are usually made of three grades to be obtained rather than 4.
Original post by Hxaler
Can't really compare A-Levels to IB lol, they're 2 completely different systems.

Besides, we are forced to take 6 subjects + TOK/EE, those who do A-Levels, are not forced to do 4 subjects in their second year and hence, their offers are usually made of three grades to be obtained rather than 4.

Well if you're the expert I'll leave you to it.
The reason its pointless phoning is because all Universities make practical non-emotional decisions and do not 'individualise' those decisions.

All Unis will have a 'if lower than this - reject' grade and a 'if between this and that, wait for August' worked out for A levels, BTEC, IB, whatever - and long before you got your grades. You phoning. emailing, sending flowers etc will NOT change this. IB is not special - thousands of people take it and amazingly the Unis all know how to asses your results.

Unis do not sit there waiting for 'lovely emails' and think 'Oh well, since he's emailed, we'll let him in now'. It really does not work like this, so (please) stop pretending there is some sort of magic back-door that only you know about, that will open secretly if you just send a sweetly worded email.

If you are on hold until August - that IS what it means.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 209
I'm aware of several students with IB results who missed their offers and have phoned the Uni already and had their place confirmed. They do not have to wait to August. So it's worth a try.
Original post by HeliHol
I'm aware of several students with IB results who missed their offers and have phoned the Uni already and had their place confirmed. They do not have to wait to August. So it's worth a try.

all it costs is a phone call, its definitely worth a shot (and yes I'm one of those students that missed their offer but got into my firm)
Original post by cemsimon
(and yes I'm one of those students that missed their offer but got into my firm)

As a result of a phone call?

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a result of a phone call?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I told them my situation, and I made my case and it does help that the course had a range for the required predicted grade, and I was asked for the highest end of the range, and my results came out as the bottom end.

I called the admissions office for the course/department and told them my case. The lady on the phone told me that it should be fine, and they're processing IB results.

I think it also helps that I did an interview there and that the head of the department mentioned on the open day to my family and I that they liked IB students, so I think that also played a bit, as well that it was my firm choice.

I don't know if the phone call affected the situation but I think it's always worth it, there's no harm in calling it.
Original post by cemsimon
I don't know if the phone call affected the situation

It didn't :wink: because they were in the process of considering the results. You hadn't been rejected and calling hadn't changed anyone's mind.
(edited 6 years ago)
It didn't :wink:

probably not, but it doesn't hurt
Hi! When the results were published a week ago, I ordered the transcript to be sent to my firm choice as soon as it was possible. I met the demands but I haven't got any reply from my uni yet. Should I worry or is it normal? (The university wants my results within 10 working days)
My firm uni (Birmingham) emailed me saying that they haven't made a decision yet since I didn't meet the conditions of my offer, which means I probably have to wait until mid August get a decision... I really don't have time though since I'm an international student and I need to sort out my visa and flight tickets. I don't know what to do ahhh
Original post by patriciatj
My firm uni (Birmingham) emailed me saying that they haven't made a decision yet since I didn't meet the conditions of my offer, which means I probably have to wait until mid August get a decision... I really don't have time though since I'm an international student and I need to sort out my visa and flight tickets. I don't know what to do ahhh

Contact them (and copy in their international team) explaining that a late decision risks you not being able to take up a place because of visa and flight arrangements.

It's possible that they'll be able to make an earlier decision. If need be then you can ask them to reject you so you can take up a place through clearing elsewhere.
Original post by robertwlodarski
Hi! When the results were published a week ago, I ordered the transcript to be sent to my firm choice as soon as it was possible. I met the demands but I haven't got any reply from my uni yet. Should I worry or is it normal? (The university wants my results within 10 working days)

Phone them. Check they actually do have your results (Unis are big places, things can go missing), and ask when they will make a decision.
Oh gosh so much happening here lol

Calling, not calling, writing or not, pleading your case, should I..........
These are all personal choices. You come here read what people say and make up your own mind.
No reason for hostility.

I missed it too by one point and if that doesn't suck enough, I was 1 mark from the next grade.
I decided to email King's and Exeter as I was put on hold until August 17th. Informed them that
two subjects were sent back for remark and my HS principal wrote recommendation letter explaining
the whole IB and the fact that I missed it by 1 point in my HLs, well one mark History, but however I did score full
3 points in EE and TOK and they were both wrote on History topics. He also added few things I did over the years.
My History IA was moderated down severely, and mine was not chosen to be read.

I am so angry with IB right now and not at all with universities. The moderation is just awful and it is such a shame for
such amazing program. I wish I took A levels.

Anyhow, do your own thing, it's your application.
"Thank you for your email and we are sorry to see that you did not meet the exact conditions of your offer.

We have added all the information provided to your application for further consideration and we look forward to receiving your remark.

We do hope that you achieve the grades you require to meet the offer of your chosen University."

"I can confirm that if by 4th August you fully meet the conditions of your offer following re-marks then your place will be confirmed. Otherwise, your application will remain on hold as described below.

Please do let us know the outcome of your re-marks regardless of whether they go up, so that we can ensure that your details on our system are up to date at that time."
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending