The Student Room Group

I went from a 2:2 in first year to a first in final year. AMA

I studied finance, accounting and management (FAM) at Nottingham uni.

I got a 2:2 in my first year (55) and I'm graduating next month with a first (73) - feel free to ask me any questions. I will be starting my job at an investment bank next month.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by UoNAnonymous

I got a 2.2 in my first year (55) and I'm graduating next month with a first (73) - feel free to ask me any questions. I will be starting my job at an investment bank next month.

What was your secret?

How do you score highly in essays/coursework?
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
What was your secret?

How do you score highly in essays/coursework?

I wish I had a secret to tell people but I don't really.

To score highly in coursework, I always consulted with my lecturers regularly. I don't think people do this enough. I spoke to my lecturers every week to go through my plans and rough drafts etc. Definitely improved my grade.
Well done on the massive improvement!

What tips do you have for othes wanting to make such a massive jump in grades?
Original post by Eternalflames
Well done on the massive improvement!

What tips do you have for othes wanting to make such a massive jump in grades?

Thank you.

I would recommend:
1. If you're going to attend lectures, ensure that you actually pay attention.
2. Consult with your lecturers for advice and help if you are struggling or just need someone to reassure you - no one knows the content and course better than them.
3. Keep up with the lecture content every week. Don't let this slide.
4. Start coursework/essays early. Don't leave it until last minute. Try to make a plan and break the question down.
5. Stay focused. Don't sacrifice doing well in an exam/essay just to drink with your friends... But still have a reasonable amount of fun.
Original post by UoNAnonymous

I got a 2:2 in my first year (55) and I'm graduating next month with a first (73) - feel free to ask me any questions. I will be starting my job at an investment bank next month.

First of all, congratulations on the job and passing your degree!

Out of curiosity, you mention you are starting your job at an Investment Bank which would imply you did a summer internship in your second year. Most summer internships I know of request a 2.1 minimum, how did you overcome this obstacle? (as they tend to use your first year results to tick this box)

Also, if you mind answering, what division are you going to be working in?
Original post by ozilll
First of all, congratulations on the job and passing your degree!

Out of curiosity, you mention you are starting your job at an Investment Bank which would imply you did a summer internship in your second year. Most summer internships I know of request a 2.1 minimum, how did you overcome this obstacle? (as they tend to use your first year results to tick this box)

Also, if you mind answering, what division are you going to be working in?

Thank you.

I answered this in another thread so I'll just copy the answer here:
I did a spring internship in first year. You need a predicted 2:1 for this - which I had, despite not having attained a 2:1 at that moment.

I then did off-cycle internships and a summer internship during my 2nd year with SME investment firms. I organised this myself by emailing contacts and connecting with those via LinkedIn. I also secured a 2:1 in second year.

In third year, I applied for a job with the same firm that I did my spring internship with. They required a predicted 2:1 and I was able to support this with my 2:1 gained in second year.

And I'll be working directly in the IB division.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending