The Student Room Group

Internships for A-level students before university ?

I was just wondering whether there were any opportunities for students to do summer internships, or just a few weeks in a business placement so that you could gain a bit of experience before going to university ? I'm hoping to study physics so maybe something in that field too. Has anybody partaken in something like this at my age or is it usually university graduates that have this kind of opportunity ?
Original post by Will_Brooks16
I was just wondering whether there were any opportunities for students to do summer internships, or just a few weeks in a business placement so that you could gain a bit of experience before going to university ? I'm hoping to study physics so maybe something in that field too. Has anybody partaken in something like this at my age or is it usually university graduates that have this kind of opportunity ?

Work experience and internships will not help you get into university, especially not for physics. I wouldn't bother, if I were you. Focus on getting the best grades you can and reading around your subject in your spare time, that's what matters.
Original post by Snufkin
Work experience and internships will not help you get into university, especially not for physics. I wouldn't bother, if I were you. Focus on getting the best grades you can and reading around your subject in your spare time, that's what matters.

Thanks for the reply. I have just finished my A-levels and I am now waiting for results day. I wouldn't be doing this to help me get into university, I just want to do it for some fun and experience and to keep me busy ! Sorry for the confusion.
Reply 3
Original post by Snufkin

That's not entirely true!

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements

These can add a lot of extra stuff into your PS that is directly relevant to what you want to study.
Original post by jamestg
That's not entirely true!

http://www.nuffieldfoundation.org/nuffield-research-placements

These can add a lot of extra stuff into your PS that is directly relevant to what you want to study.

I did look at Nuffield bursaries not so long ago, but the cut off date was in March :frown: Thanks a lot for the help though.
Original post by jamestg

A lot? No, I don't think so. Admission tutors are primarily interested in an applicant's academics and intellectual interests. Relevant work experience can be useful and it is certainly worth mentioning, but it will only ever be a minor (and rather insignificant) detail when tutors come to assess your application.

Quick Reply

Latest