The Student Room Group

Internship

Do we need to look for any internship during first year of uni
Original post by Noor Shahbaz

Hi @Noor Shahbaz 🙂 Which course are you studying? Are you required to find a work placement at any time (e.g. a placement year)? If it's a compulsory part of your degree then putting out some feelers and networking a bit could be useful to try and work out what opportunities are there.

If you're just wondering in general if students should do an internship in 1st year, the answer is that it's up to you. Many students might chose to do an internship during summer instead where they can commit to a full time work schedule without interfering with their coursework and that can be great for experience. You can start looking for those on a rolling basis once you've figured out which companies you'd like to apply for. It may not be compulsory but it could be beneficial if the opportunity comes up.

-Caitlin 😀
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Noor Shahbaz

Hi @Noor Shahbaz,

I would maybe recommend looking into what opportunities are available to you. Specifically over summer as I know for my degree we had a long summer in first year and not a lot to actually do during that time. So first year summer can be perfect for getting that experience in before university life starts to get a bit more hectic.

I would maybe see if your university does a placement handbook I know that mine does however I don't know if this is a universal thing. If not then I would recommend getting in contact with your careers team and see if they can support you in finding/sourcing an internship opportunity.

I recommend first year summer as for my degree in second year we started looking at the dissertation and we were required to collect our data over the summer of second year which means if you are trying to do that along side an internship your summer can be rather hectic instead of a break.

An internship is a great opportunity for you to have experience on your CV for when you leave university rather than just a degree.

I hope some of that information was useful and good luck in the rest of your degree!

Rebecca
3rd Year Geoenvironmental Hazards Student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending