The Student Room Group

Best Acc & Finance Unis for Investment Banking?

Assuming I am predicted AAA, the five I have in mind in order of preference are:

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
3 & 4) Durham - AAB & Cass Business School - AAA
Which is better out of the two? Does Durham have superior rep by investment banks and is it a better option despite its lower entry requirement? And btw I live in London so with Cass I'd save on accommodation costs.
5) Nottingham - AAB
This is the best AAB uni after Durham right?

Is this a good list?
My main issue I guess is selecting and ranking unis 3 & 4: Durham vs Cass vs Some other AAA uni you think deserves to be here.
Also, do you think there is something better than Nottingham for the 5th AAB option? And I am right in saying Durham and Cass over Nottingham?

Thanks in advance
If you have good grades then do economics
Original post by sarah1001

It's up there as one of my most preferred AAB courses, but I'd only apply for two, and Durham & Notts edge it for me, sorry :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
A&F seems a bit weak tbh, havent seen too many profiles on Linkedin who do that course with success at uni albeit LSEstudents have had most of the success
Original post by Skyewoods
If you have good grades then do economics

That's the issue, getting A*AA would be quite a hurdle for me. Furthermore, a number of them require A* in maths (a very big hurdle), and I don't do further maths which would also put me at a disadvantage.
If I end up achieving AAA, the university opportunities with acc & finance are so much better. I'd still have a shot at target and semi-targets like LSE and Warwick. And what's really surprising is that Durham's requirement is AAB which is almost too good to be true.
Then there are the econ courses themselves at the top unis. Their highly mathematical content does not appeal to me.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by king soros
A&F seems a bit weak tbh, havent seen too many profiles on Linkedin who do that course with success at uni albeit LSEstudents have had most of the success

The degree course does not really matter for IB, I could apply with classics or music and it would be perfectly fine. At least this is relevant to the industry.
Original post by HamzahPatel
The degree course does not really matter for IB, I could apply with classics or music and it would be perfectly fine. At least this is relevant to the industry.

My bad. I should have said you should take it with a pinch of salt. I'm talking about a general look at linkedin profiles where I haven't seen that many A&F students getting offers for spring weeks and summer internships but that's just my personal observation.
From the perspective of someone who was in your predicament this time last year, I would counsel you not to study Accounting and Finance if your career aspiration is in Investment Banking. I was actually intending to study Accounting and Finance myself. Fortunately my dad went to uni with many people who are now in senior roles at Investment Banks, so I spoke with many of them.

No word of a lie but they all advised me against studying A&F - IB's don't respect it, they treat it like a Management degree. Its seen as a very 'soft' and 'weak' subject. A&F lacks the comprehensive education of financial markets, investment theory, econometrics...

Economics was the main degree they suggested. However, Economics wasn't a course I wanted to study as I didn't do it at A-Level and from research I gathered that previous education in the study is a must otherwise it is very difficult at uni.

One of my dad's friends is an Equities Portfolio Manager at Goldman Sachs so he has the last say before recruiting a trader into his trading desk/team. He said that another highly preferred course is 'Finance BSc' (I was told that LSE and Cass offer this course), it caters a lot more towards Banking careers as their modules are much more focused on Investment practises, money management and risk...

Pending my A-Level grades this August, I will be studying Finance BSc at Cass. I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm trying to brainwash you but these are just my experiences and thoughts.

If you want a career in auditing and accounting then pursue Accounting and Finance; but if its a career in Investment Banking, you'd be better off straying from the course.
Original post by HamzahPatel
Assuming I am predicted AAA, the five I have in mind in order of preference are:

1) LSE - AAA
obviously
2) Warwick - AAA
also obvious
3 & 4) Durham - AAB & Cass Business School - AAA
Which is better out of the two? Does Durham have superior rep by investment banks and is it a better option despite its lower entry requirement? And btw I live in London so with Cass I'd save on accommodation costs.
5) Nottingham - AAB
This is the best AAB uni after Durham right?

Is this a good list?
My main issue I guess is selecting and ranking unis 3 & 4: Durham vs Cass vs Some other AAA uni you think deserves to be here.
Also, do you think there is something better than Nottingham for the 5th AAB option? And I am right in saying Durham and Cass over Nottingham?

Thanks in advance

Notts send more into IB than Durham. Personally would choose Cass over Durham but there's not much in it, if any.

Something to note, don't just pick a&f bc its less competitive. While that is true, if you don't have an interest in the subject, theres no way you'll hack 3 years of it.
Original post by ricky.bowen
From the perspective of someone who was in your predicament this time last year, I would counsel you not to study Accounting and Finance if your career aspiration is in Investment Banking. I was actually intending to study Accounting and Finance myself. Fortunately my dad went to uni with many people who are now in senior roles at Investment Banks, so I spoke with many of them.

No word of a lie but they all advised me against studying A&F - IB's don't respect it, they treat it like a Management degree. Its seen as a very 'soft' and 'weak' subject. A&F lacks the comprehensive education of financial markets, investment theory, econometrics...

Economics was the main degree they suggested. However, Economics wasn't a course I wanted to study as I didn't do it at A-Level and from research I gathered that previous education in the study is a must otherwise it is very difficult at uni.

One of my dad's friends is an Equities Portfolio Manager at Goldman Sachs so he has the last say before recruiting a trader into his trading desk/team. He said that another highly preferred course is 'Finance BSc' (I was told that LSE and Cass offer this course), it caters a lot more towards Banking careers as their modules are much more focused on Investment practises, money management and risk...

Pending my A-Level grades this August, I will be studying Finance BSc at Cass. I hope it doesn't seem as though I'm trying to brainwash you but these are just my experiences and thoughts.

If you want a career in auditing and accounting then pursue Accounting and Finance; but if its a career in Investment Banking, you'd be better off straying from

Don't entirely agree with this. I'm studying accounting and finance in a couple months and have spoke to ibankers who were the ones that encouraged me TO study this course, because I was told that accounting knowledge is essential for reading financial statements etc. To be quite frank, so long as you attend a target/ semi target uni you could get into IB with essentially any degree. One of the analysts I spoke to had studied fine art ffs. At a top uni, no degree is looked down upon or regarded as 'soft.' The only reason why there aren't as many classics students in investment banking as economics students is because most classics students probably have no intention to go into investment banking. That being said don't study a classics degree at leeds metropolitan university.
To answer the OP's question; your list is good, and tbh I don't think you'll find a better AAB course than Nottingham FAM, maybe Manchester or Edinburgh. Durham is also a solid uni for IB.
Best of luck.
Original post by ricky.bowen

If you want a career in auditing and accounting then pursue Accounting and Finance; but if its a career in Investment Banking, you'd be better off straying from the course.

Would you still agree with this advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending