The Student Room Group

CV Issues?

I've been applying to a lot of retail jobs recently but have heard nothing back and I think it has something to do with my CV. I have lots of experience and everything. The fact that my CV mentions "predicted grades" may lead to employers thinking I'm underage but all applications online have asked for my date of birth so I'm sure they're aware I'm 16. I've edited parts of my CV out obviously for safety and whatever but is there something wrong with it?
Original post by CookieSusee
I've been applying to a lot of retail jobs recently but have heard nothing back and I think it has something to do with my CV. I have lots of experience and everything. The fact that my CV mentions "predicted grades" may lead to employers thinking I'm underage but all applications online have asked for my date of birth so I'm sure they're aware I'm 16. I've edited parts of my CV out obviously for safety and whatever but is there something wrong with it?

I would recommend the TSR CV help service to you. It's at the top of this forum.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
I would recommend the TSR CV help service to you. It's at the top of this forum.

I did but got no replies there

A few things that jump out at me:
1. Don't list all GCSE's out like that line by line. Just put Predicted x GCSE grades at Grades A*-B incl English and Maths.
2. You need to tailor your CV to each role you apply to. So if you are applying for retail roles, list the most relevant experience. You helping out in Maths lessons isn't relevant to retail for example.
3. Don't put you have a passion for a career in the finance sector if you are applying for a retail job! Also just saying you are reliable and diligant adds nothing without examples to back it up. I know some on here argue that you could get rid of that sentence all together.
4. Try not to use the word 'I' in your CV. So instead of 'I worked with the Maths department' you put 'Worked with the maths department'
4. It's common practice to put the position you held next to each organisation you were at. So for example Barclays Retail Banking, work experience.
5. It's also common practice to list responsibilities/achievements in each role in bullet points. So your British Heart Foundation bit would look like:

British Heart Foundation: Shop Volunteer (March 2017-present)
-Organise clothes, stock shelves, help customers

6. Your point about improving customer satisfaction which you currently have under additional achievements should really be listed as a bullet point where you have the other info about your duties at that organisation.

Hope that helps/makes sense.
Reply 4
Original post by jelly1000
A few things that jump out at me:
1. Don't list all GCSE's out like that line by line. Just put Predicted x GCSE grades at Grades A*-B incl English and Maths.
2. You need to tailor your CV to each role you apply to. So if you are applying for retail roles, list the most relevant experience. You helping out in Maths lessons isn't relevant to retail for example.
3. Don't put you have a passion for a career in the finance sector if you are applying for a retail job! Also just saying you are reliable and diligant adds nothing without examples to back it up. I know some on here argue that you could get rid of that sentence all together.
4. Try not to use the word 'I' in your CV. So instead of 'I worked with the Maths department' you put 'Worked with the maths department'
4. It's common practice to put the position you held next to each organisation you were at. So for example Barclays Retail Banking, work experience.
5. It's also common practice to list responsibilities/achievements in each role in bullet points. So your British Heart Foundation bit would look like:

British Heart Foundation: Shop Volunteer (March 2017-present)
-Organise clothes, stock shelves, help customers

6. Your point about improving customer satisfaction which you currently have under additional achievements should really be listed as a bullet point where you have the other info about your duties at that organisation.

Hope that helps/makes sense.

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! :h:
I did but got no replies there

What is an 'SLRT'? Don't assume the reader will know what it is.

Dates are written as cardinal numbers, not ordinal.

Lose the bit at the top - who isn't a 'diligent individual'?

Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check

What is an 'SLRT'? Don't assume the reader will know what it is.

Dates are written as cardinal numbers, not ordinal.

Lose the bit at the top - who isn't a 'diligent individual'?

Thank you for the advice!
(I see you around TSR and admire your wisdom)
Thank you for the advice!
(I see you around TSR and admire your wisdom)

Thank you :smile: what a lovely thing to say!

Here are my suggestions:

* Organise not organize (that is the American way of spelling it).

* Try not to use too much abbreviations, as not every reader will not understand what it all means.

* In my opinion, delete the very first sentence where it says diligent as that is too broad and generic. Anyone can say that without any evidence to back them up - you can actually create a cover letter to reiterate these examples.

* You don't necessarily have to list your grades in each line separately along with your subject.
It's actually easier to just put how many grades you have achieved and put the subjects next to them, for example 6 A's in (and then mention the subjects). That way your CV doesn't look too cluttered.

* Add a References section, but mention that References are available upon request.

* In my opinion your overall CV doesn't look neat.
Make the font slightly smaller on page 1 and 2 so that all of the information on page 1 stays on that page.
Additional Information section can just start at and from page 2 alone.

As mentioned earlier in my suggestions, creating a cover letter will also help with your application.
Saying from professional experience working in the dog eat dog world of Recruitment in a media company, I rarely see applications that actually tells me what type of person they are which is really important when narrowing candidates in the shortlisting process.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Boreism
Here are my suggestions:

* Organise not organize (that is the American way of spelling it).

* Try not to use too much abbreviations, as not every reader will not understand what it all means.

* In my opinion, delete the very first sentence where it says diligent as that is too broad and generic. Anyone can say that without any evidence to back them up - you can actually create a cover letter to reiterate these examples.

* You don't necessarily have to put your grades in each line with your subject.
It's actually easier to just put how many grades you have achieved and put the subjects next to them, for example 6 A's in (and then mention the subjects). That way your CV doesn't look too cluttered.

* Add a References section, but mention that References are available upon request.

* In my opinion your overall CV doesn't look neat.
Make the font slightly smaller on page 1 so that all of the information stays on one page. Additional Information can just start at and from page 2 alone.

As mentioned earlier in my suggestions, creating a cover letter will also help with your application.
Saying from professional experience working in the dog eat dog world of Recruitment in a media company, I rarely see applications that actually tells me what type of person they are which is really important in the when narrowing candidates in the shortlisting process.

Thank you!
Thank you!

You are very welcome. :smile:

Also I would delete the Additional Information section and rename it as Skills.
Employers are looking for purely skills and qualities and not necessarily just accomplishments alone.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending