The Student Room Group

D to A in a year?

Hi everyone so I did my final year 10 mock exams with an average of the grade 3 which I was so dissatisfied with because I've never gotten below a 4 in anything before. I'm leaving year 10 in 3 days and I was wondering if it's possible to boost your grades up from 3-5's to straight 7's if I spend almost everyday revising over the summer holiday because I'm willing to do that. Thanks to anyone who replies in advanced :smile:

Scroll to see replies

It really is possible if you just work at it and from your post, it is evident that you are willing to do that considering I know a few people who just have given up. Past papers really help and just revise, revise, revise! Which subjects are you actually studying and exam boards? :smile:
Original post by LockedVoice
Hi everyone so I did my final year 10 mock exams with an average of the grade 3 which I was so dissatisfied with because I've never gotten below a 4 in anything before. I'm leaving year 10 in 3 days and I was wondering if it's possible to boost your grades up from 3-5's to straight 7's if I spend almost everyday revising over the summer holiday because I'm willing to do that. Thanks to anyone who replies in advanced :smile:

It's possible to do anything if you work hard for it. At the end of the day just focus and you'll be fine. I would suggest using CGP revision guides and looking at mark schemes to understand what the examiner is looking for. I don't know how much harder this new system is but if it's particularly difficult then get a tutor :smile:
I went from an E to an A and that was my December YEAR 11 mocks, anything's possible lol
Original post by Lilsthebest
It really is possible if you just work at it and from your post, it is evident that you are willing to do that considering I know a few people who just have given up. Past papers really help and just revise, revise, revise! Which subjects are you actually studying and exam boards? :smile:

I'm studying Textiles, Art, Media, English, Maths, Higher Double Science and I have average grades in Art Media and English. (I would love to study Media, English Language, and ICT in 6 form though) My worst subject is definitely maths.
Original post by noor.m
I went from an E to an A and that was my December YEAR 11 mocks, anything's possible lol

That makes me feel hopeful thanks >.<

From a guy that gets straight A's and A*'s (or 7-9's). Please, please, PLEASE don't revise in the summer. You'll burnout by spring comes around. You really want to enjoy your summer because year 11 can get very stressful if you're not on top of things. When enter year 11, then you'll have time to revise. I suggest you look at the specification for each subject, and using an official textbook or other resources, revise each checkpoint. As in how to revise, for stuff with facts like Science, summarise information and do past papers. For English, practice questions and look up how to structure your answers. For Maths, practice lots of questions again.
Original post by Boredom101
It's possible to do anything if you work hard for it. At the end of the day just focus and you'll be fine. I would suggest using CGP revision guides and looking at mark schemes to understand what the examiner is looking for. I don't know how much harder this new system is but if it's particularly difficult then get a tutor :smile:

Thanks for the advice but getting a tutor may be a little bit expensive for me >.< I'll stay after school as much as possible though.
Thanks for the advice but getting a tutor may be a little bit expensive for me >.< I'll stay after school as much as possible though.

Fair enough. Youtube helps as well sometimes, it depends on how you learn :smile: I hope it works out for you
Original post by Throwaway740
From a guy that gets straight A's and A*'s (or 7-9's). Please, please, PLEASE don't revise in the summer. You'll burnout by spring comes around. You really want to enjoy your summer because year 11 can get very stressful if you're not on top of things. When enter year 11, then you'll have time to revise. I suggest you look at the specification for each subject, and using an official textbook or other resources, revise each checkpoint. As in how to revise, for stuff with facts like Science, summarise information and do past papers. For English, practice questions and look up how to structure your answers. For Maths, practice lots of questions again.

Thank you for the advice I'll definitely practice exam questions as much as I can next year!
Anything is possible when you put the effort in; just don't overwork yourself. Good luck!! :smile:
Thank you for the advice I'll definitely practice exam questions as much as I can next year!

That's the spirit! Practice will make perfect, and that should reflect on your grades.
Does the D count towards your final grade.
Original post by Dragon5555
Does the D count towards your final grade.

No, it was just a mock exam (thank god XD)
Take a break in the summer and don't even touch a textbook - seriously. Year 11 is going to be pretty stressful.

It is perfectly possible to get from a D to an A* let alone a D to an A (idk what the equivalent is with the new grading system). Just memorise the revision guides constantly and then do a few past papers.
No, it was just a mock exam (thank god XD)

So you should go over as much as you can at home and understand that you can become someone there has never been in your family.
Yup. In my December mocks, I got a 4 in maths and in my March mocks, I got a 6/7. I'm waiting for my final results now and I'm hoping for a 6/7 in maths. You got this. :h:
Reply 17

Not sure which subjects these are for but for my biology gcse I achieved a D in my January year 11 mocks and ended up achieving an A in the (May/June?) actual exam, so it's definitely possible - main thing is that past papers are definitely the best thing to do :smile: I know it's difficult with the new spec but I'd recommend doing as many of the old spec past papers as you can (or the bits that you've learnt) until you get up to an average of B in those, then go thoroughly over the new spec material ^-^ also if you can get the specification for your boards in each subject I'd recommend going over that and ensuring you know each point ^-^ hope this helps and good luck!
Hello! That is 100% possible - I went from an E to an A* in one half term. To be honest though, our spec was a lot easier, this was year 9 when I thought teachers taught everything and I didn't reslise how amazing the CGP revision guides were. Use everything available to you, every textbook, kerboodle, fronter they all help. And, don't be afraid to talk to a sixth former (year 13 will be better) because they would have covered the topics you do.Don't spend every day revising over the summer. It's a bad idea. Year 11 is incredibly tough and work has a tendency to pile up unless you sort it out straight away. Instead, go over the things you are struggling with. For example, if you understand infrared radiation - don't bother. If you don't understand moments, go over it until you understand it. Reread your English texts but that's it. You need a break and take it from me you will burn out. I burnt out before Easter because I needed a break so badly and I didn't even spend that long revising over the summer. You can study hard over the summer, but if you do make sure you take multiple breaks.Also, don't be worried with your results - especially not the grades. I did the new syllabus for english and maths. For everything else, I was getting A*s, but for English and Maths I got a very strange variety of grades. The highest I ever got for either was a 6 but I'm still predicted 8s. You don't know how you're going to be marked and what the grade boundaries are going to be. You'll get a better idea once we get our results, but even then you won't know. Usually I aim for A*s but I wouldn't advise that with the new system because its so hard to know. So instead, focus on the mark and aim to increase your mark. I did it so if I got 10/80, the next mark I would aim for was 20/80 and that worked for me. Don't worry, the old spec was easy in comparison to what you guys are doing so you're probably not going to shoot 4 grades - but it's all right because you'll improve and get there in the end.I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck :smile:
DW about it, I went from getting a 4 in y10 mocks to a 8 in y11 mocks for English lit, it's possible for sure. Just be dedicated and don't burn out! Every day in y11 I revised what I learned in English after school.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING - DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! - I did my own research (context/literary devices etc) and for the mocks, the teachers were astonished that I wrote what they had not even though of before, which no one else wrote about! Make them read something different. If u have faith, pray to God, it gave me massive confidence in myself and I believe he granted me what I deserved through my hard work. It was the best feeling ever! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest