The Student Room Group

Ukcat revision help

I have my UKCAT booked for the end of August and I have briefly looked at the 1250 questions book. However I just have no idea how to begin my UKCAT prep. Some people say to time yourself from day one but others say find a strategy for each section then time. Has anyone got strategies for the sections and actually preparing for the UKCAT... Any useful tips or general advice will be helpful
I'm in exactly the same position. It seems that there's quite literally no online help unless you have money to pay for it. I just can't afford £100's of tuition on top of having already paid to actually sit the test.
Original post by hollybee1234
I'm in exactly the same position. It seems that there's quite literally no online help unless you have money to pay for it. I just can't afford £100's of tuition on top of having already paid to actually sit the test.

Hi there!

We have plenty of free UKCAT resources for you: the best being our free UKCAT Question Bank - this has thousands of questions across all five sections of the exam, detailed performance tracking and answer explanations so you can measure your progress and improve! There are also practice questions for free on the UKCAT website.

We also have a free UKCAT Guide, and lots of blogs with our top tips for the exam:

- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Decision Making Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by Lubna-
I have my UKCAT booked for the end of August and I have briefly looked at the 1250 questions book. However I just have no idea how to begin my UKCAT prep. Some people say to time yourself from day one but others say find a strategy for each section then time. Has anyone got strategies for the sections and actually preparing for the UKCAT... Any useful tips or general advice will be helpful

Hi there!

The best way to begin is by reading up on each of the sections and getting to grips with what each sections tests, and the format of the questions. You can do this on our free UKCAT Guide, which provides an overview of each section and question types.

Next would be to begin working through sections of practice questions - students tend to find it easier to go through each section one at a time to focus on strengthening each area. So you could go through a few Verbal Reasoning questions and see how you feel about each type of question, if it's an area you struggle with - and work on improving that. You can access thousands of questions on our free UKCAT Question Bank, plus detailed answer explanations and performance tracking.

After you've been through several sections and worked on improving your scores in each one, you can then work up to timed mock exams, which we also have available for free in our question bank. We'd say UKCAT prep takes around 6 weeks - 4 weeks of regular revision plus 2 weeks of more intense revision.

We also have lots of blogs with our top tips for the exam:

The Medic Portal
this will be the second time ive sat the ukcat. get used to the questions first and the style it isnt like any other exam you've sat before, and understand and use a technique that you like for each section then get used to the timing, the timing is horrendous and you can eventually get used to it the more familiar you are with questions but if you tried with timing first it could become very very stressful and get no where
Reply 5
Original post by The Medic Portal
Hi there!

The best way to begin is by reading up on each of the sections and getting to grips with what each sections tests, and the format of the questions. You can do this on our free UKCAT Guide, which provides an overview of each section and question types.

Next would be to begin working through sections of practice questions - students tend to find it easier to go through each section one at a time to focus on strengthening each area. So you could go through a few Verbal Reasoning questions and see how you feel about each type of question, if it's an area you struggle with - and work on improving that. You can access thousands of questions on our free UKCAT Question Bank, plus detailed answer explanations and performance tracking.

After you've been through several sections and worked on improving your scores in each one, you can then work up to timed mock exams, which we also have available for free in our question bank. We'd say UKCAT prep takes around 6 weeks - 4 weeks of regular revision plus 2 weeks of more intense revision.

We also have lots of blogs with our top tips for the exam:

The Medic Portal

Hi thanks for the links.

That is what I have been doing so far but there is so much to try and understand that I get put off revising. I have done a few hours of abstract reasoning and I have not yet started practising with timed conditions because I do not have a set strategy for the question. I can't decide whether or not I should fully read the VR passage before answering the questions or if I should just read the questions and attempt to find the answers that way?
Reply 6
Original post by xJessScott
this will be the second time ive sat the ukcat. get used to the questions first and the style it isnt like any other exam you've sat before, and understand and use a technique that you like for each section then get used to the timing, the timing is horrendous and you can eventually get used to it the more familiar you are with questions but if you tried with timing first it could become very very stressful and get no where

How did you first approach timing? Should I go straight to mocks or time individually for each section to ensure I can do the questions in the timing required?
Original post by Lubna-
How did you first approach timing? Should I go straight to mocks or time individually for each section to ensure I can do the questions in the timing required?

I just tried to do the questions as quickly as possible once I got used to it. the timing was always in the back of my mind when practicing so thinking and developing a strategy which would be good under time. I often do untimed questions and then work out how long I took on medofy as it gives the seconds you took on each questions then I know whether I need to speed up or just right. Then tried timing questions. For the timing as a whole it's just practice. But each section don't get hung up on like 30 seconds per question or whatever because some are harder than others and require more time than others. One may take 10 seconds one may take 50 seconds but it's still in the timing
Original post by Lubna-
Hi thanks for the links.

That is what I have been doing so far but there is so much to try and understand that I get put off revising. I have done a few hours of abstract reasoning and I have not yet started practising with timed conditions because I do not have a set strategy for the question. I can't decide whether or not I should fully read the VR passage before answering the questions or if I should just read the questions and attempt to find the answers that way?

Hi there!

The best thing to do in this situation is take your revision in bite-sized chunks so that it doesn't feel overwhelming! You could try revising in hour-long sessions to break up the sections so it feels a bit easier to tackle.

For AR, try developing a strategy for the questions - there are lots of different things to look out for. You could try the CPR and SCONE strategies:
- CPR (Colour/Common, Position, Rotation/Orientation)
- SCONE (Symmetry, Colour, Order, Not There, Extras - ie angles/reflections etc)

For VR, we'd advise reading the question first and then the passage - so you can read the passage knowing what to look for! This will save you time re-reading the passage multiple times.

The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending