Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it recommended to take 4 A level subjects and not write one at AS level? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I sort of have a problem choosing between biology and physics. Both are needed to apply for medicine so now I want to do both along with Mathematics and Chemistry at A level. Is 4 subjects recommended?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laatinah)
    I sort of have a problem choosing between biology and physics. Both are needed to apply for medicine so now I want to do both along with Mathematics and Chemistry at A level. Is 4 subjects recommended?
    Physics is not needed to apply for medicine at all, biology is much preferred. Biology, chemistry and mathematics would suffice for ALL med schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    Physics is not needed to apply for medicine at all, biology is much preferred. Biology, chemistry and mathematics would suffice for ALL med schools
    Thanks but just to be on the safe side can I do all of them or I only need 3?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but just to be on the safe side can I do all of them or I only need 3?
    I'm a medical student and I did geography, biology and chemistry and received 3 offers. I don't recommend putting yourself under unnecessary stress and completing 4 A levels

ReputationRep:
    Unless you're going for Oxbridge/Imperial don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a medical student and I did geography, biology and chemistry and received 3 offers. I don't recommend putting yourself under unnecessary stress and completing 4 A levels
    Alright thanks

ReputationRep:
    don't do physics if you're sure you want to be a med student. do 3.

our college said we could only take 3 because what's the point in doing 4 when most people drop a subject in second year.

ReputationRep:
    I would not recommend doing 4 subjects at a level at all. A levels have changed so much , especially sciences, and are so much harder than before. My current sixth form that I've just left don't even allow students to take a forth subject. Especially with the subjects you are taking, you will have hell doing all 3 sciences and maths. Biology on its own is ridiculously hard let alone with 3 other a levels. I advise you to just do 3. And you can still get in to medicine without doing all 3 sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did and I know some others which took 4 A-levels (5 qualifications in my case). However I'd advise against it as the workload is close to insanity and you'll simply not be motivated when it comes to exams. Especially with the sheer difficulty of those subjects. A friend of mine in my Sixth Form did biology, chemistry & physics after dropping AS Maths and he's been accepted for medicine (pending results) and his sheer workload was insane for that, never-mind all 4.
    Good luck though.

ReputationRep:
    What I am doing is physics as level, mathematics,chemistry and biology a level. I am doing physics as level because it is not really required but looks more impressive.
    Overall whether you do extra A level or as level for physics it does not really matter if you get a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    I took 4 a levels, most unis asked me to get 4 grades, but Kebel at Oxford only asked me to get 3 grades, so I can completely mess up one a level and still get in . So normally taking 4 makes it harder, but in my case it made it easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermaidecemella)
    I would not recommend doing 4 subjects at a level at all. A levels have changed so much , especially sciences, and are so much harder than before. My current sixth form that I've just left don't even allow students to take a forth subject. Especially with the subjects you are taking, you will have hell doing all 3 sciences and maths. Biology on its own is ridiculously hard let alone with 3 other a levels. I advise you to just do 3. And you can still get in to medicine without doing all 3 sciences

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes I have heard a lot about it being more challenging to take all three sciences and maths. I will just have to choose between biology and physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermaidecemella)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I will just have to choose between biology and physics then. THanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnineirnee)
    What I am doing is physics as level, mathematics,chemistry and biology a level. I am doing physics as level because it is not really required but looks more impressive.
    Overall whether you do extra A level or as level for physics it does not really matter if you get a good grade.
    That's pretty much what I wanted to do at first then I got confused by some universities that choose biology over physics.

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty much what I wanted to do at first then I got confused by some universities that choose biology over physics.
    You want to study medicine and it confuses you that medical schools prefer an A level in biology rather than physics? I'm not following

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I will just have to choose between biology and physics
    If you want to go for medicine, choose biology. I did physics and dropped it after AS, it was helpful but the workload to take 4 to A2 was too much for me. Better getting 3 good grades than 4 average ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am a Stick)
    I took 4 a levels, most unis asked me to get 4 grades, but Kebel at Oxford only asked me to get 3 grades, so I can completely mess up one a level and still get in . So normally taking 4 makes it harder, but in my case it made it easier.
    That too is an advantage of taking 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am a Stick)
    Universities rarely ask for 4, especially for medicine. Which universities are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by srdavison123)
    I did and I know some others which took 4 A-levels (5 qualifications in my case). However I'd advise against it as the workload is close to insanity and you'll simply not be motivated when it comes to exams. Especially with the sheer difficulty of those subjects. A friend of mine in my Sixth Form did biology, chemistry & physics after dropping AS Maths and he's been accepted for medicine (pending results) and his sheer workload was insane for that, never-mind all 4.
    Good luck though.
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    Universities rarely ask for 4, especially for medicine. Which universities are you talking about?
    I'm unsure but perhaps they meant their offers were based on the 4 A levels they were taking, rather than requiring applicants to be taking 4 A levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.