The Student Room Group

Jacob Rees Mogg for PM

With the idea of Jacob Rees Mogg becoming Conservative leader [2nd favourite last time I checked] whats your opinions on this, rather interesting fella becoming the leader of the Tories, and possibly this great nation.

Is he just what the UK needs, or is he too posh and out of touch?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by adam9317
With the idea of Jacob Rees Mogg becoming Conservative leader [2nd favourite last time I checked] whats your opinions on this, rather interesting fella becoming the leader of the Tories, and possibly this great nation.

Is he just what the UK needs, or is he too posh and out of touch?

He's the definition of ethereal and other-worldly Tory. Plus he like to show his knowledge off in a rather vulgar way.

I can't think of anyone more unrepresentative, more divisive and more inappropriate to have as PM in 2017. He would have been a bit old-fashioned in 1980.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
He's the definition of ethereal and other-worldly Tory. Plus he like to show his knowledge off in a rather vulgar way.

I can't think of anyone more unrepresentative, more divisive and more inappropriate to have as PM in 2017. He would have been a bit old-fashioned in 1980.

Pretty much this. You'd have to be in atleast your 50's and think the use of "coloureds" or worse is still appropriate for this man to represent the people.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheBBQ
Pretty much this. You'd have to be in atleast your 50's and think the use of "coloureds" or worse is still appropriate for this man to represent the people.

:lol: I think he still refers to Rhodesia...
Reply 4
In a world where Corbyn got 40% of the vote, anything is possible. While he may not be the average joe, many people appear to like authenticity, the perceived intelligence and the fact that he appears to believe in something ideologically.

Personally i think we need a Cameron who is a bit more socially liberal and a bit more aggressive on tax and spend while retaining a strong pragmatic streak on areas like housing (the private sector cannot deliver the amount we need) and that a traditional Tory like Mogg would be somewhat limited in appeal.

With all that being said, my thoughts were primarily true pre-2015. In a world where Corbyn is Labour leader and the third parties have collapsed, there is much more latitude on both the left and the right for leaders to take more extreme positions without being damaged (because the other leader takes a fairly extreme position the other way) so perhaps Mogg could get some of those 2015 Tories back on side while keeping the Corbyn factor strong enough to prevent many lost votes.

At any rate, he's not my first choice for Tory leader.
I Really like and admire him and while I do not doubt he could run the country I just dont think that he should especially with this climate, But in all honesty I do not see many other actual Conservatives that stick out much to me.
Original post by TheBBQ

Well apparently "People of colour" is fine now
Original post by Rakas21
In a world where Corbyn got 40% of the vote, anything is possible. While he may not be the average joe, many people appear to like authenticity, the perceived intelligence and the fact that he appears to believe in something ideologically.

Personally i think we need a Cameron who is a bit more socially liberal and a bit more aggressive on tax and spend while retaining a strong pragmatic streak on areas like housing (the private sector cannot deliver the amount we need) and that a traditional Tory like Mogg would be somewhat limited in appeal.

With all that being said, my thoughts were primarily true pre-2015. In a world where Corbyn is Labour leader and the third parties have collapsed, there is much more latitude on both the left and the right for leaders to take more extreme positions without being damaged (because the other leader takes a fairly extreme position the other way) so perhaps Mogg could get some of those 2015 Tories back on side while keeping the Corbyn factor strong enough to prevent many lost votes.

At any rate, he's not my first choice for Tory leader.

I was a big fan of Cameron. I think he'll be judged quite kindly.
He might be out of touch with the everyday person, but I think most people respect the fact that he has his opinions and beliefs and he sticks to them. What you see is what you get with him, unlike many other politicians. I think he would surprise people. If you ignore his "posh" accent, what he says actually resonates with a large section of the UK and he may do well in future elections depending upon the campaign.
Reply 9
Original post by AperfectBalance
Well apparently "People of colour" is fine now

My point being that he seems to be extremely out of touch and disconnected to the average joe, even more so with the newer generation to the extent of alienating anybody under 30 even more than Theresa May has.
Original post by TheBBQ
My point being that he seems to be extremely out of touch and disconnected to the average joe, even more so with the newer generation to the extent of alienating anybody under 30 even more than Theresa May has.

In all honesty when being "in touch" with the younger generations is Promising cheap/free university fees and saying things that sound good but are economically bad then good for him. He is a great person and honestly I would not care if we had a PM that was "out of touch" as long as he/she is good for the economy and society
Original post by Reality Check
I was a big fan of Cameron. I think he'll be judged quite kindly.

Indeed. I don't think he ever really understood ordinary people but i do think he genuinely cared for the country and its people. I agree that he will be remembered kindly.

It's just a shame that he never had more of a backbone. Sacking a few MP's in the early days of defiance (back in 2012) when the coalition had a majority of about 80 would have probably spared him having to give ground on other issues.
Reply 12
Original post by AperfectBalance
In all honesty when being "in touch" with the younger generations is Promising cheap/free university fees and saying things that sound good but are economically bad then good for him. He is a great person and honestly I would not care if we had a PM that was "out of touch" as long as he/she is good for the economy and society

I don't think it's about promising cheap/free university fees, I think it's more about showing that they are connected and actually care about us and want to listen to us. Which is partially why JC has massive crowds coming out and made a shook the election

I understand where you're coming from, but I would think that considering young people in your plans is vital to a good economy and society, instead of slashing education and much of the help available for the young, especially the young from lower income backgrounds and family. We're the first generation in a very long time to be worse off than the previous.

The tory image of being upper class, pompous, old fashioned, and disconnected is pretty much amplified with this guy.
I think the calls for him to be PM partly comes from the complete dearth of competent individuals within the current cabinet.
Original post by TheBBQ
I don't think it's about promising cheap/free university fees, I think it's more about showing that they are connected and actually care about us and want to listen to us. Which is partially why JC has massive crowds coming out and made a shook the election

I understand where you're coming from, but I would think that considering young people in your plans is vital to a good economy and society, instead of slashing education and much of the help available for the young, especially the young from lower income backgrounds and family. We're the first generation in a very long time to be worse off than the previous.

The tory image of being upper class, pompous, old fashioned, and disconnected is pretty much amplified with this guy.

I am not going to discriminate against someone for being born wealthy and having a different accent, and he is hardly pompous he is a very nice and friendly man.
And he really does care, look at all the work he does for his constituency.

and about not caring about the youth in one of his speeches I went to you could clearly see he did care tremendously about us and the youth cared a lot about him too
Original post by Rakas21
Indeed. I don't think he ever really understood ordinary people but i do think he genuinely cared for the country and its people. I agree that he will be remembered kindly.

It's just a shame that he never had more of a backbone. Sacking a few MP's in the early days of defiance (back in 2012) when the coalition had a majority of about 80 would have probably spared him having to give ground on other issues.

You're spot on with this, as far as I'm concerned.
I think he has his place in the Conservative Party but as a Prime Minister I think he would be seen as extremely out of touch and essentially a personification of what many people consider wrong with the Tories. The fact that he is even up there suggests that there is lack of suitable talent at the top of the Tories.
Reply 17
His ability to debate and talk about the most obscure things is excellent
Original post by Rakas21

What issues do you think he gave ground on? Bar the EU referendum.

Cameron was an asset to the Tories. I disliked him and disagreed with him on most issues but watching old PMQS, it's a stark contrast to see how authoritative and how much control he had over the house compared to May. He also had a certain charm about him (He was above all a PR man) and could interact with people far better than May. Having said that, he could also be a real bully boy at times when the Old Etonian in him shined through which was rather off putting.

His legacy though is still up in the air. if Corbyn becomes Prime Minister, then Cameron will be remembered fro creating the conditions for a left wing leader to thrive through his ideological austerity.

Also as a side note, it's quite amusing to watch clips of Cameron V Blair at PMQs. It's like watching a man argue with his reflection in a mirror. You can just tell how much Cameron modelled his style off Blair.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bornblue
What issues do you think he gave ground on? Bar the EU referendum.

Cameron was an asset to the Tories. I disliked him and disagreed with him on most issues but watching old PMQS, it's a stark contrast to see how authoritative and how much control he had over the house compared to May. He also had a certain charm about him (He was above all a PR man) and could interact with people far better than May. Having said that, he could also be a real bully boy at times when the Old Etonian in him shined through which was rather off putting.

His legacy though is still up in the air. if Corbyn becomes Prime Minister, then Cameron will be remembered fro creating the conditions for a left wing leader to thrive through his ideological austerity.

Also as a side note, it's quite amusing to watch clips of Cameron V Blair at PMQs. It's like watching a man argue with his reflection in a mirror. You can just tell how much Cameron modelled his style off Blair.

I think we'd call Cameron 'clubbable', and May as 'distinctly un-clubbable'.

Quick Reply

Latest