The Student Room Group

Should I bring a games console to university?

I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360 while staying at university , I could bring one from home but my little brother uses it & I know it's old but I still want to play 360 because not all 360 games can be played on xbox one & I haven't bothered to buy any 8th generation consoles yet.

I know some people say that you shouldn't bring a console to university because it's anti social or it could get stolen but I'll be staying in a studio flat by myself so if I have one I don't think someone will steal it. Another issue is space so I thought maybe I should use Playstation now to stream PS3 games to my laptop for convince but it costs £13 a month which might not be a good investment since money will be needed for other things at university or should i get a Nintendo switch because it's portable and saves space. 🤔

Also maybe this is a weird question but if I do choose to buy a console is carrying it from university to home & back in a duffle bag a good idea, would that keep it safe ? Also the studio flat that I'll be staying in comes with a tv so that won't be an issue
(edited 6 years ago)
If you are thinking of doing any academic work whilst at Uni, then bring as few distractions as possible.
No (as above). Take *cough*
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
If you are thinking of doing any academic work whilst at Uni, then bring as few distractions as possible.

There's gonna be greater distractions there than COD.
Depending on the way you live, a console is probably less distracting than living the party life that you may/may not cater too in your University, especially @ First Year, it's probably quite overwhelming, as you're thrown into a new social setting.

If you're after being more academic, I wouldn't advise it, but it would probably serve as less of a distraction (at least you're still in your home).

If you're wanting to be more social at University I'd advise against or if you do, play it sporadically.

But it's your choice, and of course, depending on how you manage your time, you probably could both play on the console and be social (Especially if there's like Gaming or something Clubs maybe). But it's up to you.
Original post by ron202
I'm thinking about buying an Xbox 360 while staying at university , I could bring one from home but my little brother uses it & I know it's old but I still want to play 360 because not all 360 games can be played on xbox one & I haven't bothered to buy any 8th generation consoles yet.

I know some people say that you shouldn't bring a console to university because it's anti social or it could get stolen but I'll be staying in a studio flat by myself so if I have one I don't think someone will steal it. Another issue is space so I thought maybe I should use Playstation now to stream PS3 games to my laptop for convince but it costs £13 a month which might not be a good investment since money will be needed for other things at university or should i get a Nintendo switch because it's portable and saves space. 🤔

Also maybe this is a weird question but if I do choose to buy a console is carrying it from university to home & back in a duffle bag a good idea, would that keep it safe ? Also the studio flat that I'll be staying in comes with a tv so that won't be an issue

Many students do take an XBox because you can keep in touch with friends from home. As long as you are sensible its better than going out drinking ...
Reply 6
One of my dudes takes his whole desktop setup with him and and fourth from home to uni :biggrin:
If you are good with your time then you will be fine :smile:

Apparently there are video game socieites (League Of Legends) at universities. I mean lots of students here have the time to use TSR, so a cheeky 3 hour Skyrim sesh on a saturday should be no problem.
Lol just go out and have a good time not inside all day like a virgin playing games
i had a console at uni, as did several flatmates... they're useful for playing DVDs, you can have friends round for pizza/games, etc - they're only antisocial if you make them so

and yeah, wrap it in some jumpers and stick it in a duffle bag, it'll be fine
your name is faze clan loooool simmer down

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending