The Student Room Group

Maths/Further Maths combinations

Hi guys, just a quick question- is the below an allowable combination of units for math and further maths:
Maths: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2
Further Maths: FP1, FP2, S1, S2, S3, D1
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

yes that is fine
Reply 2
Original post by anon6282
Hi guys, just a quick question- is the below an allowable combination of units for math and further maths:
Maths: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2
Further Maths: FP1, FP2, S1, S2, S3, D1
Thanks

Have you already started Maths and FM or are you planning on starting them next year?
Reply 3
Original post by S2M
Have you already started Maths and FM or are you planning on starting them next year?

Does it matter? Already taken it. Waiting for results next week. Just want to know if this combination is a possibilty as I feel this will give me the best set of results.
Reply 4
Original post by tomahawker314
yes that is fine

thank you!
Reply 5
Does it matter? Already taken it. Waiting for results next week. Just want to know if this combination is a possibilty as I feel this will give me the best set of results.

Oh ok. I was just wondering because it isn't possible next year since it's going to be linear.
Reply 6

Your combination will be automatically allocated so as to maximise your grade in Maths ahead of your grade in FM.

Tagging @Compost for a better explanation :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Doonesbury
Your combination will be automatically allocated so as to maximise your grade in Maths ahead of your grade in FM.

Yeah I know, but I am almost certain that this combination will be the best for me, and wanted to know if it's allowable.
Reply 8
Yeah I know, but I am almost certain that this combination will be the best for me, and wanted to know if it's allowable.

That combination is allowable, but it's not in your control.
Reply 9
That combination is allowable, but it's not in your control.

Yes I know. But im quite sure this combo will give me the best set of grades
Reply 10
My concern is that on results plus the units for maths and further maths are different right now. I think they will change once results get released tho.
Reply 11

To save him some time. :P

Original post by Compost
The rules are the same for all UK domestic exam boards and are laid down here: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information. The exam boards automatically allocate the units to maximise (in this order):

You Maths grade

Your FM grade

Your Maths UMS

Your FM UMS

The only time when the results you get can be changed are when:

You would otherwise fail FM - so you could choose to have D E rather than C U.

Your school initially gets the admin wrong (by failing to enter the correct certification codes) so the automatic allocation isn't correct. If the school then corrects this the grades might change.

Reply 12
Original post by Zacken
To save him some time. :P

Thanks- so could it be possible to have a higher FM UMS then Math UMS if that results in the best set of results?
Reply 13
Thanks- so could it be possible to have a higher FM UMS then Math UMS if that results in the best set of results?

automatically allocate the units to maximise (in this order):

You Maths grade

Your FM grade

Your Maths UMS

Your FM UMS

You could get a higher FM UMS in cases where you get higher UMS in modules like FP1,2,3 which can't be moved to Maths, but otherwise no. The best set of results is determined as in the list above.
Reply 14

If you are an offer holder your UMS doesn't matter, unless you are a near-miss applicant. In which case you can provide your module-by-module UMS anyway.

Yes
Original post by S2M
Oh ok. I was just wondering because it isn't possible next year since it's going to be linear.

i'm was thinking to give my further maths AS and A-level (edexcel), but i wanted to give my AS part in January 2018 and the rest in June 2018, Will this still be possible when linear is introduced.......... if not how will it work then???
:s-smilie:
Reply 17
Original post by assassinbunny123
i'm was thinking to give my further maths AS and A-level (edexcel), but i wanted to give my AS part in January 2018 and the rest in June 2018, Will this still be possible when linear is introduced.......... if not how will it work then???
:s-smilie:

I don't think you can sit the new A-Level in January only in June. Then for FM exams are only available in 2018 whilst normal A-Level Maths can be sat in 2018.
Original post by S2M
I don't think you can sit the new A-Level in January only in June. Then for FM exams are only available in 2018 whilst normal A-Level Maths can be sat in 2018.

i didn't quite understand the last part of the response.... but you're right about not being able to sit the new a-levels in Jan. However, you can do FM in jan but only if youre doing the international a-level (edexcel).
Reply 19
Original post by assassinbunny123
i didn't quite understand the last part of the response.... but you're right about not being able to sit the new a-levels in Jan. However, you can do FM in jan but only if youre doing the international a-level (edexcel).

That's the old A-Level FM.

Quick Reply

Latest