The Student Room Group

Sports Direct Controversy: English Only

Staff at the sporting goods retailer may only speak English, even in personal conversations, according to a page of its staff handbook. Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood has questioned whether this policy applies in Wales, where Welsh is an official language. The Welsh Language Commissioner has opened an investigation.

sports direct.png

Welsh people expressed their outrage at this rule, leading to the opening of an investigation.

What do you think of this story/ rule? Should employees be made to speak in English? Or does this rule discriminate against those who are bilingual and might choose to not to use English occasionally?
Original post by summer1311
Staff at the sporting goods retailer may only speak English, even in personal conversations, according to a page of its staff handbook. Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood has questioned whether this policy applies in Wales, where Welsh is an official language. The Welsh Language Commissioner has opened an investigation.

Welsh people expressed their outrage at this rule, leading to the opening of an investigation.

What do you think of this story/ rule? Should employees be made to speak in English? Or does this rule discriminate against those who are bilingual and might choose to not to use English occasionally?

The HSE regularly has a section on their website where examples of 'elf-n-safety' have been cited by a company to pass off mendacious or unpopular company decisions. I guarantee this will appear.

What else did anyone expect from Sports Direct? It's not Fortnum & Mason, or Hoare & Co.!
Implying that people actually speak Welsh in Wales anyway?
Original post by _gcx
Implying that people actually speak Welsh in Wales anyway?

Hmm. To get around that it should have stated "only speak languages belonging to the British Isles. Then Welsh, Scots Gallic and Irish could have been used. Although the tiny percentage of these language speakers, who also might just happen to be employed by this company is probably zilch. But it would have shut Plaid up anyway. [ Not that i've anything against them].
Reply 4
Original post by markova21

"only speak languages belonging to the British Isles.

how does the language "belongs to the British isles" (or any other territory for that matter)?
Sports Direct..Mike Ashley..billionaire
Employs staff on zero hours contracts who never know how many hours per week they will be working, staff who work a shift have to be on standby in case they are called back on shift, their HQ in Shirebrook had a record number of ambulance call outs to sick staff who did not feel able to tell management they were unwell, staff were searched in their own time before and after shifts to see if they had stolen anything.

SD has the worse staff conditions of any modern day employer and Ashley laughs all the way to the bank.

Here in N Wales we have regularly picketed outside SD stores to draw attention to the appalling way staff are treated and now staff in Wales are unable to even speak among themselves during breaks in their own Welsh language which is prevalent in N Wales in Bangor more so than English.

The man and his company are a downright disgrace and a modern day Victorian sweatshop.
That actually makes sense, if you're in Wales then you have a right to speak your language, Welsh.

It should depend on the region/county you are in, England = English, Wales = English, Welsh, Scotland = English, Scottish and Northern Ireland = English, Irish.
Original post by simon_g
how does the language "belongs to the British isles" (or any other territory for that matter)?

I meant the main languages native to the British Isles, seeing how that's where all their stores are based.
Reply 8
Or does this rule discriminate against those who are bilingual and might choose to not to use English occasionally?

I don't see how it does anything at all to harm them in any sense. If they can speak English and the company is asking them to speak English while at work, then I really don't see the problem.
Ah reminds me of my time working for the company.
I thought that Sports Direct is a private company and should be allowed to make their own rules?

I don't see anything wrong with this.

sports direct.png

If you're asked to speak English by a private company you work for, then speak English you must. No ifs, no buts.

If I was working for a private company in France and was asked to speak only french, I would speak only french - in fact I would assume the company only wants me to speak french and would respect that. (English is my native tongue)
Complete non story.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It seems a little unnecessary for personal conversations, but in work conversations I suppose it makes a level of sense.
Original post by Bernadette04
Sports Direct..Mike Ashley..billionaire
Employs staff on zero hours contracts who never know how many hours per week they will be working, staff who work a shift have to be on standby in case they are called back on shift, their HQ in Shirebrook had a record number of ambulance call outs to sick staff who did not feel able to tell management they were unwell, staff were searched in their own time before and after shifts to see if they had stolen anything.

SD has the worse staff conditions of any modern day employer and Ashley laughs all the way to the bank.

Here in N Wales we have regularly picketed outside SD stores to draw attention to the appalling way staff are treated and now staff in Wales are unable to even speak among themselves during breaks in their own Welsh language which is prevalent in N Wales in Bangor more so than English.

The man and his company are a downright disgrace and a modern day Victorian sweatshop.

Well it does say the workers can speak in the language of their choice on breaks.

Puts the SD worker in an awkward position if a customer wants to speak in Welsh though. I suspect the policy is probably due to shop managers worrying their staff are getting away with badmouthing them to their face.
Original post by markova21
I meant the main languages native to the British Isles, seeing how that's where all their stores are based.

how is English, a language brought here by the Germanic invasion from (modern day) Northern Germany and Denmark, than pidginized (so de facto changed into the other language) by the Danes' invasion; how is that language "native" to Britain? and don't let me start on French influence (mostly in vocabulary though, not grammar)...
or do you just mean Celtic languages only?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by simon_g
how is English, a language brought here by the Germanic invasion from (modern day) Northern Germany and Denmark, than pidginized (so de facto changed into the other language) by the Danes' invasion; how is that language "native" to Britain?
or do you just mean Celtic languages only?

I meant "Native" as in what the very vast majority of people living in this country have spoken for over a thousand years. And what the very vast majority of people in this country today still speak.
Reply 17
Original post by Joinedup
Puts the SD worker in an awkward position if a customer wants to speak in Welsh though. I suspect the policy is probably due to shop managers worrying their staff are getting away with badmouthing them to their face.

I doubt they genuinely care about Welsh speaking. It's not really what the policy is directed at. I think there is a fairly sizeable number of people who don't like staff in shops chattering in foreign languages - and have probably complained.
Reply 18
Whilst not implying that I give their reasoning any credence, if the argument is an H&S one based on the ability of all workers to understand what is being said to them and by them, then Welsh would also be forbidden as not every worker speaks Welsh, even in Wales where less than 20% of the population does.

Does the Welsh Language Commissioner insist that Welsh speakers be allowed to carry out all their work interactions in Welsh? If not, under what circumstances is it allowed to insist that they speak English?
Original post by L i b
I doubt they genuinely care about Welsh speaking. It's not really what the policy is directed at. I think there is a fairly sizeable number of people who don't like staff in shops chattering in foreign languages - and have probably complained.

Well yeah, H&S is just an excuse - but if they just picked on the languages they're probably worried about they'd get called out for discrimination.

I think a possible way out to appease the Welsh speakers would be to allow workers to speak in any officially recognised language of the nation the store is located in... that way you're making it the governments fault :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending