The Student Room Group

Is EPQ worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
How did you manage to do yours in 2 weeks? What was the topic and what steps did you do? Thank you!
As a Scottish student who does Dissertations as a part of the Advanced Higher course, the EPQ is literally just an Advanced Higher Disseration (it’s just in Scotland the Dissertation is usually only worth 30% of the grade, not an entire qualification). Also, if you are capable academically and going to a top uni, it is really easy to do on the side and do very well.
Reply 22
Doing an EPQ is extremely useful! I’ve got many lower offers from the unis I’ve applied for because of my A* in EPQ. Exeter gave me an offer of ABB instead of A*AA, York from AAA to AAB, and Durham from A*AA to BBB. It’s also very rewarding because it teaches you how to reference, you learn new writing skills and also how to find reliable information. I would highly recommend it.
What are the ways you can demonstrate interest in the chosen subject
Original post by Cubone-r
This is somewhat of a myth. The EPQ is not a make or break for gaining a place at university. There are plenty of other ways to show your interest in your chosen subject, an EPQ is just one of those ways.

As for it being highly prized by universities, that really depends on the admissions team. I've spoken with plenty of admissions officers for various universities and hardly any mention the EPQ, and if they do, it's not significant, and not a deal breaker like you said if you have not done one.

what are the other ways you can show interest

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending