The Student Room Group

Could I get into Uni?

I want to cry

My results in my highers were:
RMPS A (expected)
English B (expected A)
Geography B (expected D) *favourite result
P.E B (expected B/C)
Modern Studies C (expected A) this is my favourite subject and I have never got anything less of an A from it

RMPS and P.E were crash highers too - can that play as an advantage or disadvantage or does it not really matter?

I wanted to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow to study politics and philosophy but not sure if I can now :frown:

Next year I'm studying AH English, AH modern studies, higher politics, higher philosophy and national 5 maths
Original post by chlo3robertson
I want to cry

My results in my highers were:
RMPS A (expected)
English B (expected A)
Geography B (expected D) *favourite result
P.E B (expected B/C)
Modern Studies C (expected A) this is my favourite subject and I have never got anything less of an A from it

RMPS and P.E were crash highers too - can that play as an advantage or disadvantage or does it not really matter?

I wanted to go to Edinburgh or Glasgow to study politics and philosophy but not sure if I can now :frown:

Next year I'm studying AH English, AH modern studies, higher politics, higher philosophy and national 5 maths

Firstly, your results were great so well done! Definitely nothing to be upset over. I believe for Edinburgh the typical offer is based on getting AAAA at Higher level, but the minimum requirement is ABBB, which you've got! This means you can still apply there.

The downside is that you could perhaps be competing against people who achieved AAAA, since this is the case it would be wise to really put a lot of effort into your personal statement, as this can help you stand out amongst the others. I've known people with conditionals that fell shy on results and still got in due to non-academic abilities.

So don't worry, you definitely still have a great chance! I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 2
Why are you doing AH MS w/ a C at higher? - esp seeing as you're doing another 4 subjects (I get you've always done well when marked by your teacher, but maybe this indicates your teacher is marking you more softly than they should?) - j asking cause the only ppl ik that sat Adv Highers w/ Cs at higher either dropped the class or weren't allowed to sit the exam.

The fact you have two crash highers in RMPS and PE(which are both a mandatory part of school curriculum until 5th year anyway) won't really make a difference.

Other than that, you obviously can still go to uni but it's just a lot more likely you'll get a conditional offer instead of an unconditional - I had a friend who wanted to go to Edi for Bio and she only sat 3 highers in 5th year I think (i don't remember exactly but ik they weren't 3 As either) and she still got a conditional based on 6th year grades although the Reqs were A at adv higher + 2As in highers so she thought sod that and joined the navy hahaha.)

All you can do now is focus on getting good predicted grades for your 6th year classes and writing a class personal statement that shows your love for politics and philosophy.
Original post by JM_1998
Why are you doing AH MS w/ a C at higher? - esp seeing as you're doing another 4 subjects (I get you've always done well when marked by your teacher, but maybe this indicates your teacher is marking you more softly than they should?) - j asking cause the only ppl ik that sat Adv Highers w/ Cs at higher either dropped the class or weren't allowed to sit the exam.

The fact you have two crash highers in RMPS and PE(which are both a mandatory part of school curriculum until 5th year anyway) won't really make a difference.

Other than that, you obviously can still go to uni but it's just a lot more likely you'll get a conditional offer instead of an unconditional - I had a friend who wanted to go to Edi for Bio and she only sat 3 highers in 5th year I think (i don't remember exactly but ik they weren't 3 As either) and she still got a conditional based on 6th year grades although the Reqs were A at adv higher + 2As in highers so she thought sod that and joined the navy hahaha.)

All you can do now is focus on getting good predicted grades for your 6th year classes and writing a class personal statement that shows your love for politics and philosophy.

Thank you for your points!
My school covers the same content in AH Modern Studies as it does in Higher Politics. so if we were to choose politics, which I am choosing, at the end of the year you can decide if you want to do a discretion and a little extra work then sit the exam! It's hardly anything about grades anyway - I just know I can do better and I want to prove that to myself :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by mitchell2000
Firstly, your results were great so well done! Definitely nothing to be upset over. I believe for Edinburgh the typical offer is based on getting AAAA at Higher level, but the minimum requirement is ABBB, which you've got! This means you can still apply there.

The downside is that you could perhaps be competing against people who achieved AAAA, since this is the case it would be wise to really put a lot of effort into your personal statement, as this can help you stand out amongst the others. I've known people with conditionals that fell shy on results and still got in due to non-academic abilities.

So don't worry, you definitely still have a great chance! I wish you the best of luck.

Thank you, gave me so much hope :smile:
So hard to be positive when everyone has much better results and stuff but there's hope yet!
Reply 5
Thank you, gave me so much hope :smile:
So hard to be positive when everyone has much better results and stuff but there's hope yet!

I had the same issue where I didn't perform as expected in a subject I had never got less than an A in and I've had to completely change my plans, Idk if you are on the REACH program or not but you could contact them.
Reply 6
Thank you for your points!
My school covers the same content in AH Modern Studies as it does in Higher Politics. so if we were to choose politics, which I am choosing, at the end of the year you can decide if you want to do a discretion and a little extra work then sit the exam! It's hardly anything about grades anyway - I just know I can do better and I want to prove that to myself :smile:

Awesome, good luck for this year! I'm sure it'll all work out great in the end for you. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending