The Student Room Group

5th UCAS option

I'm going to be applying to Universities fairly soon to do medicine however I don't know what course to choose as my 5th option. I was considering biomedical science but I'm not too sure whether I would enjoy that course and the possible future careers it can lead on to. What other courses are worth researching?

Thanks
Personally, I chose biochemistry with genetics since it is a course I would 100% enjoy at university. Choose something you'd enjoy!
Original post by HollieKateH
I'm going to be applying to Universities fairly soon to do medicine however I don't know what course to choose as my 5th option. I was considering biomedical science but I'm not too sure whether I would enjoy that course and the possible future careers it can lead on to. What other courses are worth researching?

Thanks

If you are sure on Medicine then the 5th choice doesn't really matter, you don't even need to put one down.
Popular choices are Biomedicine/Biochemistry, but you can also choose somewhat unrelated courses such as Maths and still get an offer.

The main focus should be on choosing your medical schools wisely though.
Original post by HollieKateH

Thanks

For your 5th choice choose something that you would really enjoy learning; you can have an idea by looking at the modules of the course on the uni website. For example for my 5th choice I chose to apply to Cellular and Molecular Medicine at Bristol, I didn't really mind about my future prospects because I've set my mind of being a doctor and I believed after my 3 years I would apply for graduate Medicine.
Tbh, if you're set on medicine, there is no real point in applying to a 5th choice because if you don't get any offers this year, you can just take a gap year and if you don't get the grades, clearing is an option

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending