The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2018!

Hi All,

Applications for the 2018 vacations schemes are opening soon! I note that the previous years' threads (2016 and 2017) opened at a similar time to this, so like previous years, feel free to use this as a platform to help, bounce ideas from one another, and ask any questions.

I wish everyone the all the best with their applications!

To start this off, I intend to apply to a mix of Magic Circle, City firms (CC, Jones day, HSF and S&S) and a few North West based firms (DLA Piper, SPB etc.). Which firms do you intend on applying to?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey!

I'm currently torn about where to apply to. My mind says to give the MC firms a go, but I honestly think I'll follow my gut and apply for firms like Farrer & Co, Withers LLP and Mishcon De Reya. I've done three family law placements in the Midlands this summer and I think that this is the area of law for me, but I have also spent some time doing Employment law and I really enjoyed that too. It's tricky because I could do Employment law anywhere!

It's so overwhelming that we are making such huge decisions so early on in our careers. I'm hoping that everything will just fall into place, but I'd love to hear from anyone else who isn't going down the Commercial law route.

I'll definitely be following this thread closely :-)
Reply 2
Going to start with winter vac scheme applications this year, I know a few firms open their applications next month.
Original post by Digsy
Going to start with winter vac scheme applications this year, I know a few firms open their applications next month.

Do you know which firms open their applications first?
Reply 4
Original post by TheLawLlama
Do you know which firms open their applications first?

Of the firms that I will be applying to, Linklaters.
Reply 5
I have no idea what level of firms for vacation schemes I should target, can someone help? I've neglected legal careers until now. Entering my second year at a top 10 RG uni for Law.

Alevels AAAa
Year 1 LLB average 63. Contracts 61

No legal firm experience, although have helped law society with law related events. That's my only law-related work experience. So i'm concerned about my lack of experience. Thought getting a vac scheme would build my experience in order to apply for a TC, but turns out you need experience to get experience.

Anyway, any suggestions would be good.
Hi there!

I'm glad someone opened this thread. Good luck with applications, everyone!

Any other non-law students? I'm planning on applying to HSF, Pinsent Masons and Cleary for sure, then weighing up apps to Linklaters, CC, Freshfields, Addleshaw Goddard, Jones Day, Mayer Brown and White & Case. I also want to apply to Kirkland, Shearman and Eversheds in my 3rd year.

What ECs and work experience has everyone got? I've done one law placement, been to some events and have had various part-time jobs.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by J-SP
Helping the law society with events is not work experience - that will be extra curriculars.

Apply to some open days/go to careers events on your campus before applying for vacation schemes.

Look at events like CityLawLive/NationalLawLive, or register with an organisation like Aspiring Solicitors and go to their events. That will help build up evidence of your pursuit of the career, especially where your legal work experience is lacking.

You don't need legal work experience to secure a vac scheme though. I've hired enough people who haven't had any. But they did have other work experience and could clearly explain why they wanted to be a lawyer in the future.

Ah, open days and those events count as work experience? I see. That clears things up a little. Thank you.
Reply 8
Original post by J-SP
Grey area really - but enough people will put them in work experience sections on application forms.

Work experience isn't all about "legal work experience" in fact, that can often mean very little beyond showing evidence that you have shown interest in pursuing the career.

If you have other work experience to show your transferable skills, and then have things like open days/events to show your pursuit of the career, and you can clearly explain your motivation for the career/firm, that combination can be fairly convincing.

Appreciate the insight.

In regard to the level of firm, would you recommend applying to any top-tier magic circle firms, or would they be off the cards?

Would it make sense if I hold off on the winter vacation scheme applications to try and focus on building more experience, by attending more events such as CityLawLIVE/AS events?

Thanks
Reply 9
As far as I am aware, most firms open their applications on 1st Oct. Are there any firms that open on 1st Sep?
Thanks!
Reply 10
Original post by smashit
As far as I am aware, most firms open their applications on 1st Oct. Are there any firms that open on 1st Sep?
Thanks!

According to Chambers Student, these firms open their app from 1st Sept:

Jones Day, DLA Piper, Ashurst, Morrison Foerster, Shearman & Sterling
Reply 11
Original post by AB8
According to Chambers Student, these firms open their app from 1st Sept:

Jones Day, DLA Piper, Ashurst, Morrison Foerster, Shearman & Sterling

Thank you bro!
So glad someone opened this thread, I've been lurking on last year's for such a long time :tongue:
Reply 13
2017 was my first cycle. Got a few ACs but they amounted to nothing & I ended up accepting a non-legal internship over the summer. Cautiously optimistic about my prospects this time round, though.

Best of luck to you all!

(Sidenote: Should we prepare a Google doc to track progress?)
Hello everyone this is the first time I will be applying for vacation schemes. I have informal legAl work experience but I was too scared to apply in second year as I only had a 58 during first year. Well I got a first second year so I'm taking the plunge starting with the winter schemes. Wish me luck :smile:. Also if anyone has any advice that would be swell.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi All,

I have recently graduated from a RG university with a First class. I am set to commence a masters in Law and wanted to know, realistically, whether to apply for Winter VC or Summer VC? I am only interested in 4 - 6 firms namely, Linklaters, Bakers, Travers Smith, Freshfield etc... I fear that if I apply to these firms for a VC & I am unsuccessful, I might not be able to apply for TC & thus will have to wait for a whole year. So again, which cycle of VC are less in demand, Winter or Summer?

Thank you in advance.
Thanks for your reply.

I guess I will start my research on these firms in due time.

Original post by J-SP
Check your eligibility first. Some summer schemes will only be for penultimate year undegraduates. If firms have multiple schemes you might be eligible for one but not the other.

I wouldn't say one vac scheme is more in demand than the other. Varies between firms. Unless the firm says otherwise, there is nothing stopping you from applying for a vac scheme, being unsuccessful but then applying for a TC with them in the same cycle.
Has anyone applied to Morrison Foerster today? Their applications are supposed to open 1st September but I can't find an opening?
Original post by J-SP
Please don't rush into applying as soon as an opportunity opens.

There is no benefit in applying in the first few days/week of an application being open. Too many people rush into applying, don't do enough research, don't think about how their application might be stronger in a month or two.

If a firm is recruiting on a rolling basis, in vast majority of cases, if you apply in the first two thirds of the application window you will be fine.

The only benefit is if you are applying really early as part of a time management strategy. But make sure your application is as strong as it can be before submitting.

I have been researching this firm for the past month and want to get the application done before October so I can focus on other firms. No point trying to juggle lots of applications at once :smile:
Original post by J-SP
That's good - just don't feel you have to "submit" it until you are ready. You might find out that going to a couple of careers events in the Autumn might really strengthen your position/knowledge.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Quick Reply