The Student Room Group

How can you do a Personal Statement

How the flipping fish buckets are you meant to write a PS about economics? Feels like I'll be writing BS instead of a PS.
I've always loved money, always will and want to work in finance.
I got AAAAB in my SQA higher and my mathematical skills are strong.
BUT HOW DO I WRITE A PS?!
Like "Hi I wanna study your course cause I wanna make money and I like money. Comprendo?"
Please help
Reply 1
If I were you I'd start by searching on google for "economics personal statement" and just seeing what other people have written, you shouldn't copy but it might give you an idea about the kind of thing you can write! That's what I last year before I started mine and it was really helpful. Also you don't have to start writing the start of your PS, you could try doing a later paragraph first like one on any extra circular stuff and then just see where that takes you:smile:
There is a whole load of guidance linked in my signature below for writing PSs and I think there's advice specific to economics there too :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by *Interrobang*
There is a whole load of guidance linked in my signature below for writing PSs and I think there's advice specific to economics there too :smile:

Where abouts? What do you mean by signature
Original post by Blookie
How the flipping fish buckets are you meant to write a PS about economics? Feels like I'll be writing BS instead of a PS.
Like "Hi I wanna study your course cause I wanna make money and I like money. Comprendo?"
Please help

Studying econ and an interest in money wont get you in finance. Furthermore more writing a PS is very similar to cover letters that you will have to send or daily reports that you will have to do, so before thinking about money think about the job itself as well
Original post by Blookie
Where abouts? What do you mean by signature

My signature is the bit at the bottom of my first post in the thread
There is a great youtube talk about how you can write a really good personal statement! It helped me a great deal to write mine when I was applying to Heriot-Watt University, hope it helps you as well!

The link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jQ3MJgdkJY

Anamarija (2nd year MChem student, HWU)
Original post by Blookie
Please help

Hi,
A Personal statement holds the purpose of selling yourself to the University which you are applying to. You would start with writing about yourself, letting the reader know a bit about you. An example being ' I am a enthusiastic and motivated individual who takes a keen Interest in economics etc.... You would then go onto explaining all of the traits that you have for example main interests (try to link this to economics). Make sure that you include what your future career goal is once graduation is complete. For example My eventual career goal is to assume responsibility for the analysis and implementation of all commercial data and actively contribute to the overall success of any business I work for. Finally go onto explain how you have demonstrated good economic skills throughout your life for example money handling and grades that you got at school.

Hope this helps
Money is the reward not the model, talk about the model.
Reply 9
Original post by XOR_
Money is the reward not the model, talk about the model.

Thank you, this is true. I just don't know what to do with life
Reply 10
Original post by Teesside University
Hi,
A Personal statement holds the purpose of selling yourself to the University which you are applying to. You would start with writing about yourself, letting the reader know a bit about you. An example being ' I am a enthusiastic and motivated individual who takes a keen Interest in economics etc.... You would then go onto explaining all of the traits that you have for example main interests (try to link this to economics). Make sure that you include what your future career goal is once graduation is complete. For example My eventual career goal is to assume responsibility for the analysis and implementation of all commercial data and actively contribute to the overall success of any business I work for. Finally go onto explain how you have demonstrated good economic skills throughout your life for example money handling and grades that you got at school.

Hope this helps

Couldn't thank you enough for this!!!
Original post by Blookie
Couldn't thank you enough for this!!!

:blush: You're welcome!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending