The Student Room Group

So scared to start college

I'm starting college in September and I'm so scared. I have a lot of friends and other people from my school going but the college itself is massive so there will be a lot of new people which I'm worried about.
I'm also anxious that I will not enjoy the subjects I have picked (History, Geography, Photography ) and that I will find the work too hard and too much.
It just seems like such a scary environment and I'm finding myself putting off the summer work I've been given because I just don't like thinking about going...
Original post by lauragunbie
I'm starting college in September and I'm so scared. I have a lot of friends and other people from my school going but the college itself is massive so there will be a lot of new people which I'm worried about.
I'm also anxious that I will not enjoy the subjects I have picked (History, Geography, Photography ) and that I will find the work too hard and too much.
It just seems like such a scary environment and I'm finding myself putting off the summer work I've been given because I just don't like thinking about going...

funny thing is that nearly everyone feels like this. the first couple of days will be pretty scary and daunting but after your first week or so I guarantee you'll make loads of friends considering if your a polite and likeable enough person
I know what you mean and I'm sure that most people are quite scared too so I'm sure it will be ok in the end

I'm really nervous because my friend who I always hung round with at school is going to a different college, so even though I'm staying at my school's sixth form I won't know that many people that well as I'm quite shy and find it hard starting conversations :colondollar:

I get what you mean about the subjects too- I'm still not completly sure which subjects I want to do and if I've made the right choices so I've found it really hard actually sitting down to get the summer work done! I've found the best thing to do is just to try and not worry about anything and forget about college and just focus on the work but it is really hard.

A-levels are much more work and harder too but I think everyone will find them difficult, so even if you feel like you are struggling once term starts just remember that it is natural and will get better as the year goes on:smile: However, if you do feel as if you've made a mistake with one of your options I'm sure your college will let you change them even if it's a couple of weeks into September- my sister was allowed to pick up another subject just by explaining things to the head of sixth form and approaching the department
Reply 3
Original post by Daisy2001
I know what you mean and I'm sure that most people are quite scared too so I'm sure it will be ok in the end

I'm really nervous because my friend who I always hung round with at school is going to a different college, so even though I'm staying at my school's sixth form I won't know that many people that well as I'm quite shy and find it hard starting conversations :colondollar:

I get what you mean about the subjects too- I'm still not completly sure which subjects I want to do and if I've made the right choices so I've found it really hard actually sitting down to get the summer work done! I've found the best thing to do is just to try and not worry about anything and forget about college and just focus on the work but it is really hard.

A-levels are much more work and harder too but I think everyone will find them difficult, so even if you feel like you are struggling once term starts just remember that it is natural and will get better as the year goes on:smile: However, if you do feel as if you've made a mistake with one of your options I'm sure your college will let you change them even if it's a couple of weeks into September- my sister was allowed to pick up another subject just by explaining things to the head of sixth form and approaching the department

I think you're definitely right about the work, I do need to just get on with it and forget about other stuff!
Obviously it will be hard starting college without your friend mainly because it's just different to what you're used to. I wouldn't worry about not knowing that many people or feeling too shy to start conversations because so many people will be feeling the same and new friendships will form quite naturally I think.
Original post by lauragunbie

When i went to my sixth form i only knew 1 person going there, who was one of my best friends. He did BTECs and i did A Levels so i was never in any of his classes.

Before i got my GCSEs i was going to study, maths, further maths, business and fine art.

On results day when i went to enrol at my sixth form i ended up changing further maths to law.

3 weeks in to fine art i swapped subject again and picked economics. If you don't like your subjects you still have time to change them so really don't worry and even if you change during your a levels you won't really be disadvantaged.

In terms of going to sixth form itself. The first few days will be scary, it was like this with me because i knew absolutely no one in my classes. Some teachers will automatically pick your seats, other classes you'll just sit somewhere and eventually someone will have to sit near someone else. It's really easy to make friends on the first few days especially in at least 1 of your classes, because you'll be doing icebreakers and introducing yourself and most first week studying involves teamwork.

I met one of my best friends in law on the first day and 3 weeks into college when i changed art to economics i made another. As long as you are willing to make the effort i wouldn't be worried at all.

Sorry for rambling on :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest