The Student Room Group

How do you choose a dissertation topic?

MSc Molecular Medicine
Original post by mine turtle
MSc Molecular Medicine

Not by coming on here! Do you choose from a list of available projects or have to come up with your own? Either way you need to identify what interests you, do some reading around the subject and talk to potential supervisors first. You need to identify a gap in the knowledge and then a realistic way to address it using specific techniques and methods available to you.
Original post by alleycat393
Not by coming on here! Do you choose from a list of available projects or have to come up with your own? Either way you need to identify what interests you, do some reading around the subject and talk to potential supervisors first. You need to identify a gap in the knowledge and then a realistic way to address it using specific techniques and methods available to you.

I have an idea, but I don't know if it would fit in the course or if I'd be allowed to do it. I wanted to know how to go about deciding what to research. AFAIK, there's no list, it's discussed once the course starts
Original post by mine turtle
I have an idea, but I don't know if it would fit in the course or if I'd be allowed to do it. I wanted to know how to go about deciding what to research. AFAIK, there's no list, it's discussed once the course starts

In that case discuss it with your tutor first and go from there. I'm assuming you've done some research around the topic? You then need to identify a supervisor.
Original post by alleycat393
In that case discuss it with your tutor first and go from there. I'm assuming you've done some research around the topic? You then need to identify a supervisor.

I've been researching it on and off for the last 18 months because it was of interest to me. My course starts in October, so that's the earliest I could ask in person
To anyone doing this course, how hard. I'm now having a mental freak out
It's far too early to be freaking out about this, if the course hasn't even started. Honest advice - get a handle on any stress and anxiety you might have, otherwise the course is going to be very difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending