The Student Room Group

perspective on results

really can't work out how I feel about my results. I only did some maths exams this year as I'm in year 12. the UMS were, 90, 96, 93 in the AS. In one of the A2 exams (c3) I got 99 (which I am so pleased with, it takes the pressure off me needing a high mark in core 4 next year) but in the other exam I made so many mistakes and only got 74 (a B). This mark of 74 has absolutely no effect on my final grade next year, and it should be relatively easy for me to get enough marks for an A* now (as c3 and c4 are most heavily weighted). But at the same time I feel like I have messed up by taking these exams early. As I have taken the exam early, and gotten a B, the universities are now going to consider this when deciding whether to give me an offer. Whereas, if I'd taken the exams next year, after unis already accepting me, the module results really wouldn't matter. I can't work out how much this will effect my application to some top 10 universities, especially as I took the exams early and did exceptionally well in one but quite poorly in another.

Surely people who did not take any AS exams have a huge advantage when universities are giving out offers.

Should I be really happy with these results, or should I resit to get higher than 74 UMS? Do my results need to be a lot better than this to get many offers from medicine courses?
Original post by eleanorTSR
really can't work out how I feel about my results. I only did some maths exams this year as I'm in year 12. the UMS were, 90, 96, 93 in the AS. In one of the A2 exams (c3) I got 99 (which I am so pleased with, it takes the pressure off me needing a high mark in core 4 next year) but in the other exam I made so many mistakes and only got 74 (a B). This mark of 74 has absolutely no effect on my final grade next year, and it should be relatively easy for me to get enough marks for an A* now (as c3 and c4 are most heavily weighted). But at the same time I feel like I have messed up by taking these exams early. As I have taken the exam early, and gotten a B, the universities are now going to consider this when deciding whether to give me an offer. Whereas, if I'd taken the exams next year, after unis already accepting me, the module results really wouldn't matter. I can't work out how much this will effect my application to some top 10 universities, especially as I took the exams early and did exceptionally well in one but quite poorly in another.

Surely people who did not take any AS exams have a huge advantage when universities are giving out offers.

Should I be really happy with these results, or should I resit to get higher than 74 UMS? Do my results need to be a lot better than this to get many offers from medicine courses?

It seems like you might be a little confused? Maths is still currently on the old specification (reforms start this September) therefore all students doing AS maths did AS exams this summer which WILL count towards your final A-level, there was no early entry.

It's true that some people do not take any AS exams, but that's only in reformed subjects.

You could retake the maths unit where you got a B in to improve your overall grade. I can't comment on your chances at medicine though as I'm not a medicine course expert.

Quick Reply

Latest