The Student Room Group

Clearing help

Just wanna check that when we apply in clearing if I have a unconditional I shouldn’t reject it before receiving a verbal offer from a uni and then do I reject it and self release?

I’m not too sure so if someone can make the process a bit clearer😭
Generally speaking another uni wouldn’t give you a verbal offer whilst you are holding one elsewhere. You’re not eligible for clearing whilst holding an offer.
Reply 2
There is nothing to stop you phoning any other Uni on Results Day morning. You may get 'an offer in principle' from some Unis - ie. 'based on what you have told us about your grades we'd accept your Clearing application' - but there are some Unis that will not even talk to you unless you are literally 'in Clearing'.

Once you have spoken to Unis on Results Day, you have until 1pm until you can actually submit your Clearing choice application to UCAS, so that does give you several hours to think about which 'offer' you want to accept and then extricate yourself from an existing place.
Original post by Wormdurm2
Just wanna check that when we apply in clearing if I have a unconditional I shouldn’t reject it before receiving a verbal offer from a uni and then do I reject it and self release?

I’m not too sure so if someone can make the process a bit clearer😭

Hi @Wormdurm2

I thought I'd answer this from a BCU perspective, I can't speak for other universities and what their processes are but I hope this helps.

We advise that you DO NOT reject the unconditional offer you are already holding until you have been given a provisional offer at another uni, otherwise you risk being left without a place.

Our process would be that you ring us on results day to see if there are places left of the course you would like to apply for. The hotline call handler will go through the application with you if you meet the entry requirements. If we have all of your details, you meet the requirements and there is no interview required, you will be given a conditional offer.

You can then log into your UCAS Hub where you can decline your place and self release into Clearing if you're happy with the new offer you've been given through Clearing. After 1pm on results day, you'll then have the option to add a Clearing Choice, where you'll input the course details that will have been sent to you after your phone call. Your info will then be sent to the uni and they will process your application.

I hope that helps! We have lots of useful info on our website too about the whole process: https://www.bcu.ac.uk/clearing/confused-about-clearing

Good luck!
Abbie
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending