The Student Room Group

Getting into med school with bad AS grades?

I just got my AS results for 2017 and I didn't do as well as I had hoped. In all honesty, I was expecting it to be like GCSEs so I didn't put in as much work as I should have. In GCSEs, I got 3 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs (Art and RS). My AS results were as follows:
A in Psychology
C in Chemistry
D in Biology
My school has a system where your AS grades will be your predicted grades, even if we beg them to change it, so my predicted grades will only be ACD (maybe ABC if I have reached the top band in the grade).
I'm still really hoping for med school, especially since I have work experience (shadowing in ICU, work experience in a hospital, part time job at pharmacy) that is all pretty much geared towards medicine. I have my UKCAT exam on the 31st as well which I don't want to go to waste. I was considering a gap year but my family is strongly opposed to the idea of me taking a year out of studying.
Any ideas on how I could possibly get into med school?
Reply 1
Original post by itsniru
I just got my AS results for 2017 and I didn't do as well as I had hoped. In all honesty, I was expecting it to be like GCSEs so I didn't put in as much work as I should have. In GCSEs, I got 3 A*s, 5 As and 2 Bs (Art and RS). My AS results were as follows:
A in Psychology
C in Chemistry
D in Biology
My school has a system where your AS grades will be your predicted grades, even if we beg them to change it, so my predicted grades will only be ACD (maybe ABC if I have reached the top band in the grade).
I'm still really hoping for med school, especially since I have work experience (shadowing in ICU, work experience in a hospital, part time job at pharmacy) that is all pretty much geared towards medicine. I have my UKCAT exam on the 31st as well which I don't want to go to waste. I was considering a gap year but my family is strongly opposed to the idea of me taking a year out of studying.

If you aren't predicted a minimum of AAA, I'm sorry to say that you'll be rejected straight away. No exceptions.

For now, if I were in your position I would focus on getting AAA minimum in my actual A level exams next year and apply with those grades.
Reply 2
Original post by SGHD26716
If you aren't predicted a minimum of AAA, I'm sorry to say that you'll be rejected straight away. No exceptions.

For now, if I were in your position I would focus on getting AAA minimum in my actual A level exams next year and apply with those grades.

It's disheartening but I understand. I'll most likely take a gap year if that is the case.
Reply 3
Original post by itsniru
It's disheartening but I understand. I'll most likely take a gap year if that is the case.

Use the gap year wisely. First and foremost get those AAA. You'll then have around 3 months of free time. Use that to perfect your PS, smash the UKCAT, and get some more work experience because you don't want them at interview asking what you've done in your gap year and you've nothing to say.

Good luck.
Original post by itsniru

Basically these are the most important things for you right now:
1) Get AAA predicted (I know a few of my friends who have changed school to get this). So if this is an option phone around different schools and see if they'd predict you AAA if your school does not predict you AAA
2) If you do get the predicted grades you need, you must apply to unis that do not put much empahsis on GCSES and smash your UKCAT
Reply 5
Original post by SGHD26716
Use the gap year wisely. First and foremost get those AAA. You'll then have around 3 months of free time. Use that to perfect your PS, smash the UKCAT, and get some more work experience because you don't want them at interview asking what you've done in your gap year and you've nothing to say.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice!
Reply 6
Original post by Mathsmad123
Basically these are the most important things for you right now:
1) Get AAA predicted (I know a few of my friends who have changed school to get this). So if this is an option phone around different schools and see if they'd predict you AAA if your school does not predict you AAA
2) If you do get the predicted grades you need, you must apply to unis that do not put much empahsis on GCSES and smash your UKCAT

Changing schools? I'm worried that might have a negative effect on my references though; did your friends find it was okay with their references?
Reply 7
Original post by itsniru
A in Psychology
C in Chemistry
D in Biology

Hmm what is really important is to get the AS grades to a minimum of AAA. I was in a very similar position last year and what helped getting my teachers to predict me AAA (minimum) was really showing a dedication to work hard over Summer this was done through obtaining my past papers and going through questions as well as asking for feedback on the exams. I genuinely believe it is possible as long as you have the motivation/sincerity in wanting to do well. In terms of picking up those grades I've created a thread with some useful tips I learnt in revising for my A Levels. Definitely possible just make sure you reflect this with your school. Here is a link to the thread feel free to have a look : ) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4886358
Reply 8
Hi there! Another alternative going into medicine is perhaps to take a more broad subject with a foundation year (maybe) such as biomedical science, which you could then use as a stepping stone to medicine. There are quite a few subjects which you could use to do this, although I do understand that it may not be ideal.
I hope it all goes well for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending