The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering 2018 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doonesbury
Ok, however their stated offer range last year (2018 entry) was A*AA-AAA, while this year (2019 entry) it's AAA with AAB as a contextual.

It's certainly lower than the previously published range.

Very strange indeed
Anyone got work experience in chem eng
Hi all,

Not a regular TSR user so apologies if I'm not the best on here! I am applying to university in 2019 and, having taken a lot of time and consideration in my research, I hope to apply for Chemical Engineering. At GCSEs, I achieved 8A*s 2As and at A Level I am studying Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (having taken an EPQ this year). I will be taking Mechanics as both of my optional modules for Further Maths. The dream would be MEng at Imperial or Cambridge (NatSci route).

What I am looking for is any advice from you guys in my position in regards to applications and universities and also, from those further along in their journey, any advice for the future.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Anon4012
Hi all,

Not a regular TSR user so apologies if I'm not the best on here! I am applying to university in 2019 and, having taken a lot of time and consideration in my research, I hope to apply for Chemical Engineering. At GCSEs, I achieved 8A*s 2As and at A Level I am studying Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (having taken an EPQ this year). I will be taking Mechanics as both of my optional modules for Further Maths. The dream would be MEng at Imperial or Cambridge (NatSci route).

What I am looking for is any advice from you guys in my position in regards to applications and universities and also, from those further along in their journey, any advice for the future.

Thanks in advance!

Hi

If you can get A*A*A* with a 90% chance then apply to those Universities both are good for ChemEng but if you are a nerd that is also a social butterfly then you might be better off at another University like Manchester which is world recognised for ChemEng+ better facilities and has a much better University life. Manchester would present equal graduate prospects like Cambridge and Imperial as Manchester has strong industial link plus you can do an Meng with Industry year all in 4 years where as in other Universities this would take 5 years. This my advice good luck mate
Original post by AEFRGF
Hi

If you can get A*A*A* with a 90% chance then apply to those Universities both are good for ChemEng but if you are a nerd that is also a social butterfly then you might be better off at another University like Manchester which is world recognised for ChemEng+ better facilities and has a much better University life. Manchester would present equal graduate prospects like Cambridge and Imperial as Manchester has strong industial link plus you can do an Meng with Industry year all in 4 years where as in other Universities this would take 5 years. This my advice good luck mate

Thanks! The four year MEng at Manchester sounds really interesting, never would've known that otherwise.
Don't do it! best advice to you! 2:1 in chem eng from Nottingham, any questions ask away.
Also no Manchester does not provide the same opportunities as Cambridge and Imperial, don't be silly.
Original post by exam freak
Don't do it! best advice to you! 2:1 in chem eng from Nottingham, any questions ask away.

Don't do what exactly!!
Don't do what exactly!!

The market for chemical engineers right now is shite. Oversupply and under appreciated. Pay has been driven down loads. Its also a very hard degree considering you could do something like business at good uni and get paid equally and have less work more fun and more time for applications for jobs.
Chem eng degrees are pure suffering. at least if you do camb natural sciences you have a chance to study other stuff year 1 and 2.
The market for chemical engineers right now is shite. Oversupply and under appreciated. Pay has been driven down loads. Its also a very hard degree considering you could do something like business at good uni and get paid equally and have less work more fun and more time for applications for jobs.

That's completely fair, but with a Chemical Engineering degree surely you could pursue consultancy, finance and other areas as well as having the degree you're passionate about (just a thought). If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing at current?
That's completely fair, but with a Chemical Engineering degree surely you could pursue consultancy, finance and other areas as well as having the degree you're passionate about (just a thought). If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing at current?

Ye you can especially if you go Cambridge, as said before gives you a chance to get out before commiting to chem eng :wink:. I'm a financial tech consultant.

Actual chem eng roles are dying out and **** paid. The industry is finished in this country. Oil and Gas (taking ever fewer numbers) and weapons companies are pretty much the only decent related payers.

As the IB thread would call me, i'm a back office monkey.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ye you can especially if you go Cambridge, as said before gives you a chance to get out before commiting to chem eng :wink:. I'm a financial tech consultant.

Actual chem eng roles are dying out and **** paid. The industry is finished in this country. Oil and Gas (taking ever fewer numbers) and weapons companies are pretty much the only decent related payers.

As the IB thread would call me, i'm a back office monkey.

Are you happy in your role atm? Also do you think if you were willing to live outside the UK that the opportunities for well-paid work would be less limited?
Are you happy in your role atm? Also do you think if you were willing to live outside the UK that the opportunities for well-paid work would be less limited?

Opportunities outside are a lot better and lot better pay. No I just started but i had little work experience, i'll do this for a year then go back for a law conversion or finance masters degree depends whether i land a Training contract. I'm vastly under paid in my current role for London. Other then that the company seem alright. Also my gf does a post grad chem eng masters at Cambridge.If i could go back unless i got into Imperial or Cambridge for my undergrad i probably wouldn't have done this course. The grad market for this course is toxic af.
(edited 5 years ago)
Opportunities outside are a lot better and lot better pay. No I just started but i had little work experience, i'll do this for a year then go back for a law conversion or finance masters degree depends whether i land a Training contract. I'm vastly under paid in my current role for London. Other then that the company seem alright. Also my gf does a post grad chem eng masters at Cambridge.If i could go back unless i got into Imperial or Cambridge for my undergrad i probably wouldn't have done this course. The grad market for this course is toxic af.

That seems like a good plan, is your girlfriend enjoying her course? I've visited both Imperial and Cambridge and just genuinely got an amazing vibe from Imperial and Cambridge just didn't click as much as I had thought it would!
That seems like a good plan, is your girlfriend enjoying her course? I've visited both Imperial and Cambridge and just genuinely got an amazing vibe from Imperial and Cambridge just didn't click as much as I had thought it would!

she got a scholarship from Imperial and still chose Cambridge. I mean shes one of the few very sick individuals that are workaholics and enjoy this subject genuinely ->trust me this rare. Most people do it for money but then realise after they did it there isn't any money in it aha. I did it because its the hardest degree i could think of. Bit of an ego chasing little shite back then.

The new dept on new campus at Cambridge is state of the art, makes Imperial look like a hole with a computer (its got a small pilot) Cambridge looks like its got a full on chemical plant lol. The gear is miles ahead.
(edited 5 years ago)
she got a scholarship from Imperial and still chose Cambridge. I mean shes one of the few very sick individuals that are workaholics and enjoy this subject genuinely ->trust me this rare. Most people do it for money but then realise after they did it there isn't any money in it aha. I did it because its the hardest degree i could think of. Bit of an ego chasing little shite back then.

The new dept on new campus at Cambridge is state of the art, makes Imperial look like a hole with a computer (its got a small pilot) Cambridge looks like its got a full on chemical plant lol. The gear is miles ahead.

Ahh okay! How did she find the admissions process, what was her application like?
Ahh okay! How did she find the admissions process, what was her application like?

truthfully she's bilingual, A*A*AAA a all in academic subjects, AS is in bio rest are physics maths further maths economics and chemistry.

High first (80+) in Chem eng bachelors with a year in industry at a big industrial company.

lots of academic awards: top 5 in the year etc. lots of extra curricular stuff like EWB.

She found the interviewer blunt and was a hard interview, they started by asking why she only got a high 2:1 in like one module, LOL.

also this is for a masters she got rejected after interview for bachelors they asked her to describe how a refrigeration unit worked.

she takes the piss a bit tbh.
(edited 5 years ago)
truthfully she's bilingual, A*A*AAA a all in academic subjects, AS is in bio rest are physics maths further maths economics and chemistry.

High first (80+) in Chem eng bachelors with a year in industry at a big industrial company.

lots of academic awards: top 5 in the year etc. lots of extra curricular stuff like EWB.

She found the interviewer blunt and was a hard interview, they started by asking why she only got a high 2:1 in like one module, LOL.

she takes the piss a bit tbh.

That's phenomenal! You must be proud... is she going to pursue a career in Chemical Engineering? In terms of Chem Eng which career paths are the more lucrative ones?

Quick Reply

Latest