The Student Room Group

Personal statement

Personal statement advice
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by itsme7724
Hello

So now you'll have to scrap this one and start all over again, as the UCAS plagiarism filter will detect it's been posted on here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Glassapple
So now you'll have to scrap this one and start all over again, as the UCAS plagiarism filter will detect it's been posted on here.

well they have my email on this account so ill have evidence that its mine

Doesn't matter - UCAS specifically state not to post your PS online.

That's really not how it works, if someone applies before you using this statement, or parts of it, your application will be marked as plagiarised by the filter, as well as it showing as being posted on here in the first place. You need to read the personal statement guides on here and generally on the internet to see this is the case. The filters UCAS and universities use are very advanced, they show up things people have copied from articles from 20 years ago, it will easily find this from here or someone else's personal statement if they use it.

As for the content, you need to actually write what your abbreviations mean, like HDU, ITU, D of E, etc. so that it's clear what you're talking about. If you use it more than once then you can put brackets around the abbreviation after you spell it formally, then use the abbreviation from then on. You're missing a few capital letters, like when you say 'i' towards the end.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Cubone-r
Doesn't matter - UCAS specifically state not to post your PS online.

oh right, can i still use the information in it?
You have to redo it.
oh right, can i still use the information in it?

You have to completely re-write it.
Reply 8
That's really not how it works, if someone applies before you using this statement, or parts of it, your application will be marked as plagiarised by the filter, as well as it showing as being posted on here in the first place. You need to read the personal statement guides on here and generally on the internet to see this is the case. The filters UCAS and universities use are very advanced, they show up things people have copied from articles from 20 years ago, it will easily find this from here or someone else's personal statement if they use it.

As for the content, you need to actually write what your abbreviations mean, like HDU, ITU, D of E, etc., so that it's clear what you're talking about. If you use it more than once then you can put brackets around the abbreviation after you spell it formally, then use the abbreviation from then on. You're missing a few capital letters, like when you say 'i' towards the end.

Ok thank you, can i still use information in it?
I agree with everyone else, you will have to re do it.

TSR has a forum for submitting your PS for a review here; www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372
Reply 10
Original post by Cubone-r
You have to completely re-write it.

yes i know but can i still use information for example, i did DofE
Ok thank you, can i still use information in it?

You can still use the information, but you have to write that information in a completely different way as to how you've written it now. Use this as a first draft to improve on, but you need to not use the same sentences and not present the information in the same way.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by AnnaGlypta
I agree with everyone else, you will have to re do it.

TSR has a forum for submitting your PS for a review here; www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372

Thank you
Reply 13
You can still use the information, but you have to write that information in a completely different way as to how you've written it now. Use this as a first draft to improve on, but you need to not use the same sentences and present the information in the same way.

Okay

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending