The Student Room Group

AWFUL AS Grades - now how exactly do I apply for Uni?

I have DEEC as my AS Grades (Maths, English, Chemistry & Psychology)

These won't be my predicted grades; but I've been told I still have to put my AS grades on my application.

What I'm wondering is how much my predicted grades will be influenced by my AS grades and how much they'll be influenced by external factors (i.e, homework, classwork, class performance).

Is it worth applying to Red Brick unis with these AS grades? Should I lower my standards? Do I have a fighting chance if I writer a killer personal statement?

Aaaaah, so many questions. Really puzzled as to what to do rn tho, so help would be really appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Original post by ZiggyStardust_

These won't be my predicted grades; but I've been told I still have to put my AS grades on my application.

What I'm wondering is how much my predicted grades will be influenced by my AS grades and how much they'll be influenced by external factors (i.e, homework, classwork, class performance).

Is it worth applying to Red Brick unis with these AS grades? Should I lower my standards? Do I have a fighting chance if I writer a killer personal statement?

Aaaaah, so many questions. Really puzzled as to what to do rn tho, so help would be really appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Your predicted grades will be up to your teachers, but if universities don't think they are realistic then they won't believe them, i dont think it's worth applying somewhere that wants all A's and B's unless you'll wait until after a levels to apply.

Stop stressing :smile:, you will get predicted grades but they will be quite bad. However, you can still go clearing through Adjustment or applying in a gap year :smile:. Just find out where you went wrong on your AS's so you can smash A2
If you know you can do better, perhaps in different subjects, you're best off taking 3 years doing A levels rather than 2. Resit the year.

There's no point applying to redbrick unis. Even middle ranking unis want BBB.
Realistically if you carried on your grades would either stay the same, increase or decrease by a grade. You'll likely only get into a uni with very low entry requirements. This is not the end of the world as you can always get a good degree classification then be able to apply to redbrick unis for postgrad.
Just tagging in some users who might have some advice for you :h:

Hey @ZiggyStardust_,

Personally I don't have any experience from a teacher's point of view of predicting grades, but from my experience as a student applying through UCAS in 2012 I believe my predicted grades were based on past exam results and my overall behaviour in class (like participation, doing homework on time etc).

What I generally advise in terms of applying to uni is to not apply to unis where your predicted grades don't meet the entry requirements for the course you wish to study. This is because many universities make offers in terms of your predicted grades. However, if your predicted grades are only one grade off the entry requirement (eg, ABB instead of AAB) then it might be worth giving the uni a call to see if they would consider your application. If so, then try putting them on your UCAS, but if not then don't bother as it would be a waste of an option.

Keep in mind that when courses go into Clearing, many universities will accept slightly lower grades than what was originally listed in the entry requirements, so you may want to consider that too. However, please don't pin all your hopes on getting into your dream uni through Clearing - the courses offered through Clearing change year on year so there are no guarantees that you would get a place.

Hope this helps! :smile:

All the best,
Ashley
Original post by University of Surrey
Hey @ZiggyStardust_,

Personally I don't have any experience from a teacher's point of view of predicting grades, but from my experience as a student applying through UCAS in 2012 I believe my predicted grades were based on past exam results and my overall behaviour in class (like participation, doing homework on time etc).

What I generally advise in terms of applying to uni is to not apply to unis where your predicted grades don't meet the entry requirements for the course you wish to study. This is because many universities make offers in terms of your predicted grades. However, if your predicted grades are only one grade off the entry requirement (eg, ABB instead of AAB) then it might be worth giving the uni a call to see if they would consider your application. If so, then try putting them on your UCAS, but if not then don't bother as it would be a waste of an option.

Keep in mind that when courses go into Clearing, many universities will accept slightly lower grades than what was originally listed in the entry requirements, so you may want to consider that too. However, please don't pin all your hopes on getting into your dream uni through Clearing - the courses offered through Clearing change year on year so there are no guarantees that you would get a place.

Hope this helps! :smile:

All the best,
Ashley

Thank you very much! this was a really helpful answer. Really appreciate it :smile:
Thank you very much! this was a really helpful answer. Really appreciate it :smile:

No problem, glad to have been of help! Good luck for the future :smile:

-Ashley
This is one for you to UEA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending