The Student Room Group

What to show as a mature student to get into uni?

I've been told by a few people, that as a mature student, the best way to get into university, is to go through the route of going back and getting good A levels, or going through Access courses, but are there any other ways of going about it? What can you do during the year before applying to show what you have to offer?
Also, as a mature student, are your chances of getting into a good uni (not Oxbridge, but not somewhere rated 120th) very low, or is it just that following the 'A levels/Access' route is more acceptable for the better unis?
Starting my undergraduate course next month. I'm 27. I contacted both universities I was considering first around November to find out if my qualifications are acceptable. Both universities replied to my emails to discuss my options and were very helpful. I wrote a personal statement talking about relevant work experience in a related field and all the informal learning I've done since leaving school. In the end one university was happy with my grades from 8 years ago and the other wanted me to retake qualifications (I'm in US, so it was SATs in my case). I took the SAT in May and got my results in June, so I didn't lose a year to an access/foundation course.

My entry requirement SAT score was very low - I got an offer with minimum entry requirements, I think it's because the offer was mostly based on my experience and personal statement.
Original post by KoreVictoire

If you've got relevant professional experience, that can somewhat or completely compensate. Sometimes they like to see an OU Module or similar taken within the previous couple of years to evidence that your basic educational skill set, reading, research, essay writing etc is up to scratch. But they've got an obligation not to 'waste' an offer/space on someone who is entirely unprepared, so there has to be some evidence of an ability to cope with the course from the outset. As above, Unis are generally very accommodating of discussions on the best approach for mature students.
The best thing to do is probably to contact the places you want to go, tell them your current situation (experience/qualifications) and ask them if it would be enough to gain entry to their course, and if not what would you need to do.

The OU module above is a good call, they want to see that you have an active interest/desire in that area, make sure it will be enough first though before you spend money going down that route.
Original post by threeportdrift
If you've got relevant professional experience, that can somewhat or completely compensate. Sometimes they like to see an OU Module or similar taken within the previous couple of years to evidence that your basic educational skill set, reading, research, essay writing etc is up to scratch. But they've got an obligation not to 'waste' an offer/space on someone who is entirely unprepared, so there has to be some evidence of an ability to cope with the course from the outset. As above, Unis are generally very accommodating of discussions on the best approach for mature students.

I agree with what threeport has said. As long as basic entry requirements are met some courses don't require a levels or an access course. Experience is taken into consideration a lot more if you are a mature student.

It is definitely not impossible for mature students completing a levels/access courses to get a place at a good uni, if you achieve the grades the university require and have a strong personal statement to go with it you have just as good a chance as a school leaver.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending