The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yoyoyo4
Hello, I had asked a question regarding admissions to apply for economics at Cambridge a while ago. I study at a sixth form with limited choices for a levels and so I couldnt study economics/further math or another facilitating essay-writing subject for a level (my sixth form offered geography/history but they were in a different option block)

So i studied maths, biology, business and the epq and a previous admission tutor said that I should ideally aim for A* in math, A/A* in Biology and A in Business, and then study economics and/or further math in a gap year to stand a good chance. Fast forward to today and I got A* in math (96 ums in c3 and 94 ums in c4), A in chemistry (close to an A*) and A in business and A* in EPQ (economics based). I was the first person to get an A in biology, first to get an A* in epq and first person in 10 years to get an A* in math in my sixth form. I also qualify for contextualisation. My GCSE's are pretty below-par at 3A*s, 3As and 3Bs but again, they were the best in my sixth form.

My question is, would it be ideal to apply for Cambridge economics?

Hello and thanks for your question. It's difficult to answer without seeing the whole application or knowing what you are planning to do in your GAP Year. Currently you have not achieved the stadard offer for Economics (A*A*A) and so would not be successful in your application. If you apply planning to take either or both of FM or Economics in your gap year and are able to explain your circumstances then we would certainly consider the application seriously.
Hello, EU re-applicant here! I didn't plan to take a gap year but ended up with it anyway. As it was unexpected, I have to plan my year on a short notice. I do know that I can't enroll at a UK uni and apply to Cambridge for the same course, but what's the case with unis abroad?
Thank you for doing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Yes, we do. I don't think so. You can apply to both for postgraduate study in law (or any other subject) but not for an undergraduate course.

Great, thanks for your help.
Original post by GrétaPanna
Hello, EU re-applicant here! I didn't plan to take a gap year but ended up with it anyway. As it was unexpected, I have to plan my year on a short notice. I do know that I can't enroll at a UK uni and apply to Cambridge for the same course, but what's the case with unis abroad?
Thank you for doing this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is ok to apply from another university outside the UK (not least because often people in other countries finish their schooling at 17 rather than 18). We don't like poaching people from other UK universities, however.
Why would what be?

Why would the maths department be (or have any) concerned if a prospective student had a gap year before applying?
Original post by DrSebWilkes
Why would the maths department be (or have any) concerned if a prospective student had a gap year before applying?

Some Mathematicians fear that a year out means that there is a danger of a student's maths abilities going rusty. Others are not very concerned by this. The Maths faculty provides a handy guide to help with knowing which colleges feel what about Gap Years.
Reply 46
Hello and thanks for your question. You have generally good scores, with one excellent module and one weak one. I think you don't need to worry too much about the M2 score. Maths is important for Biological Natural Sciences but not the same extent as in Physical and it is only one module and we know that people can have a bad day. We will be looking at a lot of other things too so don't worry too much about it.

Thank you for your response! I also wanted to add that I'm planning on dropping Further Maths so that I am carrying on Maths, Biology and Chemistry to A2. Since I'm going to drop Further Maths, I might not retake M2. Since my M2 UMS is low, will I be disadvantaged for not retaking it? Also, to what extent will dropping Further Maths itself disadvantage me?

Thank you for your help.
Original post by clare13
Thank you for your response! I also wanted to add that I'm planning on dropping Further Maths so that I am carrying on Maths, Biology and Chemistry to A2. Since I'm going to drop Further Maths, I might not retake M2. Since my M2 UMS is low, will I be disadvantaged for not retaking it? Also, to what extent will dropping Further Maths itself disadvantage me?

Thank you for your help.

Thanks for the further questions. You certainly wouldn't be disadvantaged by choosing not to retake M2 and no one is going to mind that you aren't doing Further Maths to A2 as a Biological Natural Scientist - a combination of Maths, Chemistry and Biology (plus an AS in FM) is easily preparation enough for the course and will give you plenty of options within Part IA (the first year).
Applying for Economics at Cambridge, going into year 13, I know my UMS average is good enough but concerned by my FP1 score as i know it is an important topic for the degree.

AS Results: c1-100, c2-100, d1-98, s1-93, m1-92, fp1-85 ) mmso thats a 95 UMS average if rounded up.

GCSE grades 11 A*/ 2 A's
Predicted A*/A*/A*

Will my results hinder me on anyway or are they perfectly aversge for a successful applicant?

Thanks
Hi there, thanks for doing answering our questions it is very helpful!

I would like to apply to Cambridge to study engineering (haven't decided on a college yet), however I am really not sure about my maths AS UMS. Currently I am studying physics, maths, economics and french. I aspire to study in Cambridge because I feel that being surrounded by a crowd of very intelligent will motivate me to work my hardest and will get the most out of me, however I am having doubts about my chances of being admitted.

At GCSE I got 10 A* grades. In all my subjects my teachers think I am capable of achieving A* and are willing to predict that.

In maths AS I got:
C1: 79
C2: 78
S1: 98

In mocks and past papers I achieved UMS scores closer to 95, so I am very (VERY!) annoyed with the appalling performance in the core modules. I wasn't in the right rested mindset for the exam and I made some ridiculous errors.

Considering the low maths UMS and the fact that I do not study FM, should I still be considering Cambridge as an option?
Reply 50
Original post by EruditeLover
Considering the low maths UMS and the fact that I do not study FM, should I still be considering Cambridge as an option?

What are your other A-levels and did you do AS-levels in them?

And what are your likely predicted grades?
ty for the reply :smile:

I only did the AS in maths.

I am studying Physics, Economics, French and Maths. I am predicted A* in all of them.

What do you think?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by EruditeLover
ty for the reply :smile:

I only did the AS in maths.

I am studying Physics, Economics, French and Maths. I am predicted A* in all of them.

What do you think?

I'll that answer for the AT himself :smile:

Was FM available at your school?
Yes FM is available at my school. When I was choosing my subjects I didn't think I would be interested in FM so sadly I did not take it. Is this a very significant handicap?
Hello there, I am a CIE applicant and I have seen lots of posts on UMS and stuff. It seems like for UMS, an average around 93 makes an applicant more competitive, provided that everything else (interviews, assessments, personal statements) go well. I know we use PUM instead but what are competitive PUMs for Natural Sciences? Are there any statistics? Can CIE students be pooled? If they can, what PUM must they get in order to be pooled?

Thank you for answering all our questions! :smile:
Reply 55
Thanks for the further questions. You certainly wouldn't be disadvantaged by choosing not to retake M2 and no one is going to mind that you aren't doing Further Maths to A2 as a Biological Natural Scientist - a combination of Maths, Chemistry and Biology (plus an AS in FM) is easily preparation enough for the course and will give you plenty of options within Part IA (the first year).

Thank you for your help!
Well, the NSAA is split into several different sections. The different parts of Section 1 were each given a scaled mark between 1.0 and 9.0. The average score for each element was around 4.0.

In Section 2, candidates answered two questions, each worth 25 marks. High 20s and above were decent scores, the strongest candidates in this element were getting above 40.

I don't think there was a specific cut off point for Maths UMS in Physical natural Sciences. We were cautious about using UMS from one subject alone and one also needed to think about the number and difficulty of the modules that had been taken. I was concerned by anything below 90 but not to the extent that this alone would make me not interview/not offer to someone.

Also do you have any tips on how to prepare for this test? I want to ace it
Well, the NSAA is split into several different sections. The different parts of Section 1 were each given a scaled mark between 1.0 and 9.0. The average score for each element was around 4.0.

In Section 2, candidates answered two questions, each worth 25 marks. High 20s and above were decent scores, the strongest candidates in this element were getting above 40.

I don't think there was a specific cut off point for Maths UMS in Physical natural Sciences. We were cautious about using UMS from one subject alone and one also needed to think about the number and difficulty of the modules that had been taken. I was concerned by anything below 90 but not to the extent that this alone would make me not interview/not offer to someone.

For Section 2 did you take into account the questions an applicant had attempted? In the 2016 paper, one of the chemistry questions was, IMO, much harder and more time-consuming than the other.
Original post by Econowizard
Applying for Economics at Cambridge, going into year 13, I know my UMS average is good enough but concerned by my FP1 score as i know it is an important topic for the degree.

AS Results: c1-100, c2-100, d1-98, s1-93, m1-92, fp1-85 ) mmso thats a 95 UMS average if rounded up.

GCSE grades 11 A*/ 2 A's
Predicted A*/A*/A*

Will my results hinder me on anyway or are they perfectly aversge for a successful applicant?

Thanks

Hello, your scores are fine for a competitive candidate. The FP1 score is not the best but you have strong scores in the easier modules that help balance it out overall. You have strong GCSEs and predictions so, on paper, you will be a strong applicant at this stage.
Hello, thanks for doing this thread!

I got 3As at AS level (maths, further maths and geography) but am concerned with my maths UMS (average 85 for both). I am hoping to apply for bio NatSci - how much will this impact my application? Next year I will be doing bio, chem and maths only. Thanks in advance for your help!

Latest

Trending

Trending