The Student Room Group

A level art

I got a C at AS ( maybe a B if they decide to remark as i was one mark off ) due to simply a lack of work rather than lack of quality of work as i focused on my other academic subjects more, is it possible to get the C grade up to an A or A* at A2 or does the grade from the first year count and make this impossible
(edited 6 years ago)
IDK about technicalities and stuff but you won't get a high grade if you don't put the work in
Reply 2
I do Linear A Level Art so my advice might be a little off but the main principles stay the same. At the end of Y12 I was at an A, I think I'm going to be predicted an A* (Though unsure) but I do think it is possible to go from C to an A, you may be able to get an A* if you really put your all into it. My strongest part of Art is probably writing about art, which I usually get full marks or near to in my projects, so I would advise you to really think about the subtext of a piece of artwork. How does the form and composition mimic the time period and the emotions people felt (for example). In terms of writing, I usually write metaphorically about a piece of artwork and put a lot of emphasis onto subtext, proving how my thesis could be true (through techniques, form, etc). Usually people forget to write about the art, taking the frame of mind that Art is solely about creating Art, when really it is equal parts of analysis and creation.

I'm quite an independent worker, so I don't get as near as much help from my teachers compared to other people in my class which I really enjoy as it gives me creative freedom (my teachers once in awhile always ask if I'm doing alright). So if your teachers aren't helping you with your creative capability, I would say embrace that :3 Also, if your lacking in inspiration, pinterest is always a good place to start to getting initial ideas.

I don't know if you're marked the same as me with AO1, AO2, AO3 and AO4, if so you really want to get into the mindset of mentally checking off each AO when doing a double page spread (like doing an artist research, try out the artist techniques, create your own response and analyse it to hit all AO's). If not, then I would recommend researching mark schemes and taking a look of other people's books that are on the same exam board as you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest