The Student Room Group

What modules shall i do?

Hey guys im doing c1, c2, s1, c3, c4 and m1 for a level maths but i'm unsure as to what modules i should pick for further maths. Any help would be appreciated thank you :smile:

Also shall i do the same exam board for further maths or can i do a different one?

Also im doing the old spec for maths and new linear spec for further maths
(edited 6 years ago)
You might be able to choose a different exam board for further maths, but I would stick with the same one, as you'll then get used to the style of question and what they're looking for in your working.

For a level maths, I'm doing the same as you.

For Further Maths, I'm doing D1, D2, FP1, FP2, S2, M2 (I took the first three this year). It seems to be a good mix, however if you get to choose your modules (I don't), universities seem to be recommending that you don't choose D1 and D2, but opt for more mechanics, statistics or pure.

Also, you need to make sure you do at least 3 a level modules. To check this, look at the specification for your chosen exam board.

Hope that helps!
Original post by xoxbeckywxox
You might be able to choose a different exam board for further maths, but I would stick with the same one, as you'll then get used to the style of question and what they're looking for in your working.

For a level maths, I'm doing the same as you.

For Further Maths, I'm doing D1, D2, FP1, FP2, S2, M2 (I took the first three this year). It seems to be a good mix, however if you get to choose your modules (I don't), universities seem to be recommending that you don't choose D1 and D2, but opt for more mechanics, statistics or pure.

Also, you need to make sure you do at least 3 a level modules. To check this, look at the specification for your chosen exam board.

Hope that helps!

Thank you :smile: i also wanted to ask if doing the old spec for maths and new spec for further maths will be a problem? I'm so confused because i'm a private candidate
Reply 3
Original post by leclapped
Thank you :smile: i also wanted to ask if doing the old spec for maths and new spec for further maths will be a problem? I'm so confused because i'm a private candidate

If you're taking it all in 2018 take old spec. If you are starting A level Maths now and not finishing before 2019 then you ought to take new spec for everything. It's not intended that anyone would mix them but I'm not sure whether it's actually forbidden.
Original post by Compost
If you're taking it all in 2018 take old spec. If you are starting A level Maths now and not finishing before 2019 then you ought to take new spec for everything. It's not intended that anyone would mix them but I'm not sure whether it's actually forbidden.

Yep, that sounds right
Original post by Compost

I checked with aqa, Edexcel and ocr and they all said it was not prohibited by exam rules. Edexcel,did point out that anyone taking old spec maths would miss out on some content that was assumed by the new spec further maths.
Original post by leclapped
Hey guys im doing c1, c2, s1, c3, c4 and m1 for a level maths but i'm unsure as to what modules i should pick for further maths. Any help would be appreciated thank you :smile:

Also shall i do the same exam board for further maths or can i do a different one?

Also im doing the old spec for maths and new linear spec for further maths

The mandatory content and options for further maths is completely different for the new specification. You should choose something relevant to your future study. Look at the specifications to understand what your choices are. I assume yo are aware that you can't take new spec Further maths full A level exams until summer 2019
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
You are missing a module for maths, you need 6

The mandatory content and options for further maths is completely different for the new specification. You should choose something relevant to your future study. Look at the specifications to understand what your choices are. I assume yo are aware that you can't take new spec Further maths full A level exams until summer 2019

there are six there- four core modules plus s1 and m1.

definitely agree that checking the specifications is the best next step!
Original post by xoxbeckywxox
there are six there- four core modules plus s1 and m1.

definitely agree that checking the specifications is the best next step!

You're right, optical illusion, I didn't see the S1
Original post by gdunne42
You are missing a module for maths, you need 6

Hi thanks for replying :smile: i hope to study a mathematics degree in the future the thing is i didnt want to spread a level maths over 3 years so thats why i hoped that i could do the old spec for maths as im sure most unis wont like me doing a complete resit (i'm already thinking of resitting a few modules for maths as my results werent the best)

Quick Reply

Latest