The Student Room Group

Best tips for getting a first in undergrad diss?

Hi!
I start back at uni next week and we’re finally beginning the actual writing of our diss. It’s due on may 10th, and so far we’ve done a module surrounding research etc to prepare for the writing part.

Anyone who has written a diss - what did you do well or what would you have done better? I’ve heard a good literature review is crucial - would you say so?

Hoping to go into the writing process with a good idea of what to focus on and how I can do the best I possibly can! I’m doing media and comms so my diss is mainly qualitative research if that helps!!

Thanks so much!!!
Original post by seesey
Hi!
I start back at uni next week and we’re finally beginning the actual writing of our diss. It’s due on may 10th, and so far we’ve done a module surrounding research etc to prepare for the writing part.

Anyone who has written a diss - what did you do well or what would you have done better? I’ve heard a good literature review is crucial - would you say so?

Hoping to go into the writing process with a good idea of what to focus on and how I can do the best I possibly can! I’m doing media and comms so my diss is mainly qualitative research if that helps!!

Thanks so much!!!

I received a first in my dissertation but I only wrote 5000 words (it was very short).

You need to do three things.

1) Write your dissertation about something you are actually interested in. It seems obvious but please do it. This will make the writing process so much easier.

2) Start your dissertation ASAP. Like yesterday. The earlier you start the easier it will be to finish and you shall do better.

3) Get support from your tutors/study support etc. You're legitimately paying 9k a year to go to uni so make the most of the study support you have at your disposal!

Good luck. I am sure you'll do well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending