Suggest why water expends when it freezes

Watch
Zebedi1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have a chemistry 3 mark question that said: Suggest why water expends when it freezes.
I know that the reason most substances contract is because the electrostatic forces holding the particles together are stronger and therefore, the particles are closer together. So I can only assume that because there must be more space between the H2O molecules, the forces must have weakened. I still this right? I always struggle on: "suggest" questions.

Thanks. (GCSE)
jenhasdreams
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Zebedi1)
I have a chemistry 3 mark question that said: Suggest why water expends when it freezes.
I know that the reason most substances contract is because the electrostatic forces holding the particles together are stronger and therefore, the particles are closer together. So I can only assume that because there must be more space between the H2O molecules, the forces must have weakened. I still this right? I always struggle on: "suggest" questions.

Thanks. (GCSE)
Hey, I've moved this to Chemistry study help for you so hopefully you'll get some helpful replies there
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Thanks. (GCSE)
When the water molecules stop moving as the water solidifies, the hydrogen bonds hold the molecules into a diamond-like lattice, which is more open (and hence less dense) than the average positions of molecules formerly able to rotate and translate in the bulk liquid.
sulaimanali
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
i hated suggest qs too at GCSE...
sulaimanali
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
as said above...hydrogen bonds hold the water molecules apart in an open lattice so they cover a larger surface area so ice is less dense than water.
Zebedi1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by charco)
When the water molecules stop moving as the water solidifies, the hydrogen bonds hold the molecules into a diamond-like lattice, which is more open (and hence less dense) than the average positions of molecules formerly able to rotate and translate in the bulk liquid.
Ok thanks, but we don't learn about what hydrogen bonds are in GCSE science OCR so they can't be looking for the correct answer. My point is, can you can marks for a suggest question if your point is logical. Therefore would my answer warrant any marks
charco
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ok thanks, but we don't learn about what hydrogen bonds are in GCSE science OCR so they can't be looking for the correct answer. My point is, can you can marks for a suggest question if your point is logical. Therefore would my answer warrant any marks
Then you should focus on GCSE level vocabulary.

It expands because the arrangement of fixed particles in the solid produces a more "open" structure, with a lower density.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (621)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.07%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.76%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads