The Student Room Group

Suggest why water expends when it freezes

I have a chemistry 3 mark question that said: Suggest why water expends when it freezes.
I know that the reason most substances contract is because the electrostatic forces holding the particles together are stronger and therefore, the particles are closer together. So I can only assume that because there must be more space between the H2O molecules, the forces must have weakened. I still this right? I always struggle on: "suggest" questions.

Thanks. (GCSE)
Original post by Zebedi1
I have a chemistry 3 mark question that said: Suggest why water expends when it freezes.
I know that the reason most substances contract is because the electrostatic forces holding the particles together are stronger and therefore, the particles are closer together. So I can only assume that because there must be more space between the H2O molecules, the forces must have weakened. I still this right? I always struggle on: "suggest" questions.

Thanks. (GCSE)

Hey, I've moved this to Chemistry study help for you so hopefully you'll get some helpful replies there :smile:
Original post by Zebedi1

Thanks. (GCSE)

When the water molecules stop moving as the water solidifies, the hydrogen bonds hold the molecules into a diamond-like lattice, which is more open (and hence less dense) than the average positions of molecules formerly able to rotate and translate in the bulk liquid.
i hated suggest qs too at GCSE...
as said above...hydrogen bonds hold the water molecules apart in an open lattice so they cover a larger surface area so ice is less dense than water.
Reply 5
Original post by charco
When the water molecules stop moving as the water solidifies, the hydrogen bonds hold the molecules into a diamond-like lattice, which is more open (and hence less dense) than the average positions of molecules formerly able to rotate and translate in the bulk liquid.

Ok thanks, but we don't learn about what hydrogen bonds are in GCSE science OCR so they can't be looking for the correct answer. My point is, can you can marks for a suggest question if your point is logical. Therefore would my answer warrant any marks
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Zebedi1
Ok thanks, but we don't learn about what hydrogen bonds are in GCSE science OCR so they can't be looking for the correct answer. My point is, can you can marks for a suggest question if your point is logical. Therefore would my answer warrant any marks

Then you should focus on GCSE level vocabulary.

It expands because the arrangement of fixed particles in the solid produces a more "open" structure, with a lower density.

Quick Reply

Latest