The Student Room Group

Why is it that after drinking a bottle of water I don't urinate much?

I noticed this issue from March to be honest and I have spoken to a GP and tried antibiotics that I didn't take properly so it didn't work and I was advised cystitis sachets so I have had them and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, with these sachets I realised you have to have them in one go rather than sips throughout the day to make it effective. Do you think it's something bigger? I feel like I can't pee much and I can on some days, other days I can't pee and I can't live without the cystitis sachets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I noticed this issue from March to be honest and I have spoken to a GP and tried antibiotics that I didn't take properly so it didn't work and I was advised cystitis sachets so I have had them and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't, with these sachets I realised you have to have them in one go rather than sips throughout the day to make it effective. Do you think it's something bigger? I feel like I can't pee much and I can on some days, other days I can't pee and I can't live without the cystitis sachets

I reckon it would be best to consult the GP again and follow the given instructions. It would cause some health issues later, even if they don't now.
Reply 2
What's stopping you from peeing? Do you feel like you need to pee but can't? Or is it sore? Or do you just think you should be peeing more than you are?

You loose fluid through sweat and trough poo, so it might be that you are just loosing fluid in other ways.
Reply 3
Original post by black tea
What's stopping you from peeing? Do you feel like you need to pee but can't? Or is it sore? Or do you just think you should be peeing more than you are?

You loose fluid through sweat and trough poo, so it might be that you are just loosing fluid in other ways.

Sometimes it's sore when I pee. I can pee just very very little and usually I pee more.
Reply 4
Sometimes it's sore when I pee. I can pee just very very little and usually I pee more.

Have you tried drinking more?
Reply 5
Try drinking more but if you carry on feeling sore, the GP can send a urine sample for testing to try and see if it requires a specific antibiotic.
Reply 6
Have you tried drinking more?

Yes I drank an entire cup of cranberry juice and still peed very little
Reply 7
Original post by Cote1
Try drinking more but if you carry on feeling sore, the GP can send a urine sample for testing to try and see if it requires a specific antibiotic.

I did send my urine for testing and they still haven't got back to me and I sent it around March/April time. My GP is rubbish
Reply 8
If I can't pee on my own at normal flow and empty my kidneys/bladder without antibiotics or cystitis sachets I think there is something deeper going on. I don't have any other symptoms though.
Reply 9
I would have asked about diuretics and my mum used to take a small tablet like those vitamin D supplements and it used to help her pee a lot but that was in the old days when I was a child or I know I could try sitting in hot water in the bath as that helped me. My pee was brown more than once and I used to pee a lot of brown pee but then I went in the shower and came out and it made my pee light green and my pee lessened. I have also tried sitting in the bath in hot water and that helped in the past so I will try that again.
I'm not a GP, but have they not suggested simply drinking more fluids?

You've used a bottle of water and a glass of juice in your examples of what you drank, and you complained in the OP that you have to drink the cystitis sachets at once instead of just sipping on it throughout the day (these are typically dissolved in a glass of water - which is a very small percentage of the recommended daily liquid intake). From this it sounds like you're just not drinking enough. Fluid input does not match urine output because much of the water we ingest is absorbed by the intestines, so if you're drinking as little as your posts have implied then of course you're not going to urinate much. Most of the liquid you are consuming is being used by the body to carry out essential functions. The most common cause for dark yellow or brown urine (which you indicated in your latest post you have experienced) is dehydration.

tl;dr - increase your fluid intake—the NHS recommends 6-8 UK cups (1.5L-2L) per day, but the US National Academies recommends 11.5 US cups (2.7L) per day for women and 15.5 US cups (3.7L) per day for men—and see if that makes a difference. If yes, great. If not, go back to your GP.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 11
I did send my urine for testing and they still haven't got back to me and I sent it around March/April time. My GP is rubbish

Chase your GP up. Can you see another GP there if this one is rubbish
Reply 12
Original post by Cote1

The entire GP is rubbish
Reply 13
Original post by 1582
I'm not a GP, but have they not suggested simply drinking more fluids?

You've used a bottle of water and a glass of juice in your examples of what you drank, and you complained in the OP that you have to drink the cystitis sachets at once instead of just sipping on it throughout the day (these are typically dissolved in a glass of water - which is a very small percentage of the recommended daily liquid intake). From this it sounds like you're just not drinking enough. Fluid input does not match urine output because much of the water we ingest is absorbed by the intestines, so if you're drinking as little as your posts have implied then of course you're not going to urinate much. Most of the liquid you are consuming is being used by the body to carry out essential functions. The most common cause for dark yellow or brown urine (which you indicated in your latest post you have experienced) is dehydration.

tl;dr - increase your fluid intake—the NHS recommends 6-8 UK cups (1.5L-2L) per day, but the US National Academies recommends 11.5 US cups (2.7L) per day for women and 15.5 US cups (3.7L) per day for men—and see if that makes a difference. If yes, great. If not, go back to your GP.

I feel like my abdomen is swollen, my bladder/kidneys are going to burst and I can't urinate it and empty it out, and you're telling me to drink more. I don't want to drink so much and make myself so full that I start vomiting like my mum did when she was unable to pee at all and she had ovarian cancer. For me at least I can pee a little bit even if it's a tiny bit and it varies, so sometimes I do a lot and other times I don't but it doesn't fully empty my bladder. GP have suggested I put a catheter there to empty it but I am scared to do that.
Reply 14
What evidence so you have that your bladder and kidneys are swollen? Have you had scans and other tests? I'm assuming you have, since your GP has suggested a catheter? I'm not sure TSR can help you here if you have been told you need a catheter and you are choosing not to have one
Reply 15
Original post by Cote1

Have you called them to ask about the results? They normally only call if there is something abnormal on tests
Reply 16
What evidence so you have that your bladder and kidneys are swollen? Have you had scans and other tests? I'm assuming you have, since your GP has suggested a catheter? I'm not sure TSR can help you here if you have been told you need a catheter and you are choosing not to have one

I haven't had scans and other tests, I haven't any tests. I can feel my abdomen is swollen and it's full of pee and I am starting to go to the toilet now, I was peeing often and less and now I found over time I am peeing more and going to the toilet often so I guess I can't expect to pee all at once and I should expect to pee and go to the toilet often
Reply 17
Have you called them to ask about the results? They normally only call if there is something abnormal on tests

I haven't called and chased them up. I'm sure there is something wrong because my pee was dark orange/brown in colour and it was painful, which suggests there is an infection.

Now I found after having frequent showers/baths that the pain isn't there much anymore, it's there sometimes and my pee has turned light green
Reply 18
I haven't had scans and other tests, I haven't any tests. I can feel my abdomen is swollen and it's full of pee and I am starting to go to the toilet now, I was peeing often and less and now I found over time I am peeing more and going to the toilet often so I guess I can't expect to pee all at once and I should expect to pee and go to the toilet often

In that case, I would suggest following the advice from @1582. And when you do go back to your GP about this, it may be worth mentioning that the real reason you are worried about this is your mum's cancer (not because I think that's what's going on but so they can reassure you with or without tests why this is not the case since it is clearly playing on your mind). Good luck and I hope you are getting support with your mum's diagnosis.
Reply 19
I haven't called and chased them up. I'm sure there is something wrong because my pee was dark orange/brown in colour and it was painful, which suggests there is an infection.

Now I found after having frequent showers/baths that the pain isn't there much anymore, it's there sometimes and my pee has turned light green

Urine is dark when you are dehydrated. It hurts to pee when you are dehydrated because the urine is very concentrated and causes irritation. Water from baths and showers dilutes it, which makes it less irritating for your urethra, and the the reason your urine turns light is because it is diluted

Quick Reply

Latest