The Student Room Group

A Level Starters 2017 Thread

I thought I'd make this tread to see what other people starting A Levels are doing/going to do. For example, how and when are you going to revise? What revision techniques are you going to use? If you do notes, do you write or type? What are you going to do in free time (a job, any extra curriculars etc)? Are you doing anything in the summer now (asides from being nervous about results)? Obviously those aren't set questions- include anything you want.

Personally, I'm taking Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Psychology. My books for Chemistry and Physics are coming on the 29th and 30th, so I'll be making flashcards for key terms using them. However, I need to finish my GCSE notes (there were the odd couple of less prioritised topics) and my summer work, along with finishing my room. Once I order more books, I'll be making flashcards for all of my subjects. Maths will be formula cards instead of key terms. I also need to finish my room. I'll take my notes in class on paper, then type them up once I get home, along with adding information from the textbook.

I also hope that WHSmith will get back to me about the job I applied for, so I can make money during A Levels. I might join sports clubs and some more academic clubs, but I'm not sure. I'm just nervous and worried I'm doing the wrong thing. I know past papers will be an issue, since there's only one new spec one for most of my subjects. Does anyone have any tips for what I do after notes?
You can get a job at WHSmiths at the age of 16? Wow. I really need a job, but I have no idea where to apply for one.
Original post by marniedavies03
You can get a job at WHSmiths at the age of 16? Wow. I really need a job, but I have no idea where to apply for one.

I just use Indeed and look for anything in well known stores/fast food places.
Hey regarding the past papers issue, as an A Level student who's just finished year 13 and has done the new spec exams I'd say you should still do the old spec past papers as they still have mostly relevant content. Personally I saved the specimen papers until right before my exams for the most relevant practice.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Hey regarding the past papers issue, as an A Level student who's just finished year 13 and has done the new spec exams I'd say you should still do the old spec past papers as they still have mostly relevant content. Personally I saved the specimen papers until right before my exams for the most relevant practice.

Thank you! Hopefully my college won't do all of our mocks with the new past papers. We'll have the specimens, your year's and the upcoming year 13's. However, Maths will only have specimen papers, so I'll try to save those. Thank you.
I've started applying for weekend makeup jobs!
I'm taking History, Politics and RE. I really lacked motivation and drive during GCSE, so I'm hoping to step it up this year. Can't wait to go stationary shopping!

Quick Reply

Latest