The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Laptop for Uni?

I was just wondering if I need a laptop for my English and Media course.. I was thinking for essays and also editing if I was doing practical work for media. I have an iPad Air 2 already.. would that be enough or should I invest into a laptop?
Go for a laptop, they're usually stronger and it'll be easier to write essays with than with an ipad. I have a HP Pavillion x360, its a 2in1 touchscreen and turns into a tablet so I guess if you still wanted that tablet element you can have the best of both worlds. It's got great storage too and you can plug you usb into it, something you can't do with an ipad.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Reply 2
If you do media I suggest a MacBook. It's excellent for video editing.
Original post by CinnamonSmol
Go for a laptop, they're usually stronger and it'll be easier to write essays with than with an ipad. I have a HP Pavillion x360, its a 2in1 touchscreen and turns into a tablet so I guess if you still wanted that tablet element you can have the best of both worlds. It's got great storage too and you can plug you usb into it, something you can't do with an ipad.

Thank you!! I'll look into getting one :smile:
Original post by storm95
If you do media I suggest a MacBook. It's excellent for video editing.

Thank you! I think I'll look into one... does the MacBook have more editing software than my iPad or more?
Reply 5
Original post by Haribo_Krissy
Thank you! I think I'll look into one... does the MacBook have more editing software than my iPad or more?

yes it does, more detailed and advanced software too. with ipad you're only limited to the app store whereas, Macbook you can use any software that is compatible with the Mac OS.
A non-Mac laptop has equally powerful video editing software, and is also cheaper per any-performance-metric, so if you are going to get a laptop I'd suggest looking into that in the first instance.

It's also not a bright white shiny thing saying "steal me!" every time you go to the loo in the library :tongue:

But in terms of essay writing, it's much easier to use a laptop than a tablet. However if you can get a physical keyboard implement for your tablet (not something that really exists for apple that I know of, although MS tablets often can have little magnetic clip on ones).
what would you says the best non mac laptop between £300 - 400 pounds - thinking of buying a new laptop for second year @artful_lounger
Original post by scrawlx101
what would you says the best non mac laptop between £300 - 400 pounds - thinking of buying a new laptop for second year @artful_lounger

No idea, as "best" depends a lot on what you want to use it for - the best computational modelling laptop in this bracket is not the best gaming laptop, or the best general use :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending