The Student Room Group

Apply to cambridge medicine???

My GCSE profile: 5A*'s, 7A's and a B (underperformed in many exams)
AS profile: 3A's (bio chem and business) and a B (chemistry)
Would it worth me making an application to Cambridge to study medicine providing I work extremely hard in A2 and in my UKCAT exam. I know Cambridge don't look at GCSE's as much therefore I would have to work hard at A2.
Reply 1
Peace and blessings,

I think it would be worth you making the application, knowing the slots are slim, as compared to the many applications which are made in advance. A critical factor, I think, will be your SAT scores, so if you have not taken that yet, remember, the practice of test taking skills is important. You can develop those skills by taking practice test under time constraints (some people eventually even give themselves slightly less time, to really get ready for the exam pressures). When you take the practice tests, don't just take the tests and miss or guess at something, and NEVER review it. Instead, if you miss something, take the time to go and review it, figure out what area or topic (or nuance or exception) was being tested in that area, and then, learn that area-this is how you slowly build your knowledge and can raise your scores on the practice exams (and the real exam, too). Make flash cards if you need to, of the points you learned, the questions change, but the areas, nuances and concepts being tested remain the same. My best wishes to you with your application to Cambridge med. (oh, pardon me-your volunteer work, extracurricular work, motivation for study, those kinds of things along with your personal statement and relevant recommendations are also very critical factors to focus on, too. Simply getting a gratuity recommendation by a Cambridge med grad is not as helpful as getting one from a person who actually knows you and can attest to your skills, aptitudes, motivations, etc.)

Original post by Rxmxi
Would it worth me making an application to Cambridge to study medicine providing I work extremely hard in A2 and in my UKCAT exam. I know Cambridge don't look at GCSE's as much therefore I would have to work hard at A2.
Reply 2
Original post by Rxmxi

Cambridge is BMAT not UKCAT.

A B in Chemistry is not ideal... it's very important for medicine, especially at Cambridge.

But for a definitive answer ask a real live Cambridge admissions tutor in his thread here:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4896414
Ask an Admissions Tutor XII (22 August - 22 September)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by luq_ali
A critical factor, I think, will be your SAT scores, so if you have not taken that yet, remember, the practice of test taking skills is important. You can develop those skills by taking practice test under time constraints (some people eventually even give themselves slightly less time, to really get ready for the exam pressures). When you take the practice tests, don't just take the tests and miss or guess at something, and NEVER review it. Instead, if you miss something, take the time to go and review it, figure out what area or topic (or nuance or exception) was being tested in that area, and then, learn that area-this is how you slowly build your knowledge and can raise your scores on the practice exams (and the real exam, too). Make flash cards if you need to, of the points you learned, the questions change, but the areas, nuances and concepts being tested remain the same. My best wishes to you with your application to Cambridge med. (oh, pardon me-your volunteer work, extracurricular work, motivation for study, those kinds of things along with your personal statement and relevant recommendations are also very critical factors to focus on, too. Simply getting a gratuity recommendation by a Cambridge med grad is not as helpful as getting one from a person who actually knows you and can attest to your skills, aptitudes, motivations, etc.)

SATs are not relevant for Cambridge. Or any UK university if you have A-levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending